Aus10a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Along with the recent announcement from Cold Steel that they will switching from CTS-xhp to s35vn they also stated they will be switching from bd1 to Japanese aus10a. I’m a little bummed about this because I really dig the bd1. In my experience it is superior to aus8a in edge retention and corrosion resistance, it seems a little tougher too judging from the somewhat hard use I have put my xl voyagers through. It’s been s makeshift machete on some occasions with no rolling or chipping.

So can anyone here tell me about Japanese aus10a? I have never seen any knives with this steel.

It's edge retention is that of ats-34 but does provide some toughness. In my opinion it's a backwards decision to make for cold steel. Same with the xhp to s35. But hey, if cts can't provide them with steel supplies they gotta do something for their customers. There are alot of old threads on aus10a to read up on via search. Certainly not a bad steel. Here's an old thread where Sal shares some good info on it

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/aus-10a.292950/

http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/jp/aus10.shtml
Zknives says it's a 440c equivalent.

Last edited:
It's edge retention is that of ats-34 but does provide some toughness. In my opinion it's a backwards decision to make for cold steel. Same with the xhp to s35. But hey, if cts can't provide them with steel supplies they gotta do something for their customers. There are alot of old threads on aus10a to read up on via search. Certainly not a bad steel. Here's an old thread where Sal shares some good info on it

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/aus-10a.292950/

http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/jp/aus10.shtml
Zknives says it's a 440c equivalent.
Sal seems to speak pretty highly of it, so that gives me some confidence in the steel. Seems like AUS8A with a higher carbon content and higher edge retention and toughness. Im with you on the xhp, I love it on my frenzy, S35vn aint no slouch but the xhp is amazing.

Yeah I always heard that the AUS family was similar to the 440 family...6A, 8A, 10A similar to 440A, B, and C respectively. I actually have a CS Tanto made in 10A...was a very small batch of only 40 knives...mine is #24.

Yeah I always heard that the AUS family was similar to the 440 family...6A, 8A, 10A similar to 440A, B, and C respectively. I actually have a CS Tanto made in 10A...was a very small batch of only 40 knives...mine is #24.

Would love a picture of it. Any idea of the time frame?

It has the stainless fittings, so sometime after 1992. I also have the flyer that it was ordered from...will see if I can find the date.

EDIT: Was 2001 Christmas sale.

XdBVilMh.jpg

8eSGPkfl.jpg

LXauTsrl.jpg

Last edited:
Cold Steel used AUS-10A before in the Triple-Action folder series from over a decade ago.

Nice, talk about rare. Your collection must be fantastic.

It has the stainless fittings, so sometime after 1992. I also have the flyer that it was ordered from...will see if I can find the date.

EDIT: Was 2001 Christmas sale.

XdBVilMh.jpg

nJUXEWsh.jpg

AUS-10 is a pretty decent upgrade from BD1. Slightly lower toughness and corrosion resistance, but higher edge retention. AUS-10 is close to VG-10 in performance, I prefer AUS-10 for higher edge retention. It's about on par with N690Co.

Nice, talk about rare. Your collection must be fantastic.

With only 40 made, it has to be one of the rarest CS items ever made. I've only ever seen 2 so far...mine and one other. In the same flyer, they also had 100 serial numbered Desperados...have never seen one of those. My overall collection is just over 100 knives, and just over half are CS. Most of the CS is older, from the 80's and 90's, but there's some newer stuff too, like the 4-Max and new Night Force. I'm pretty proud of it, but more so the knowledge I've gained while putting it together, which let me create those History threads over at the CS Forums, which is now defunct :(

Last edited:
With only 40 made, it has to be one of the rarest CS items ever made. I've only ever seen 2 so far...mine and one other. In the same flyer, they also had 100 serial numbered Desperados...have never seen one of those. My overall collection is just over 100 knives, and probably 70 or so are CS. Most of the CS is older, from the 80's and 90's, but there's some newer stuff too, like the 4-Max and new Night Force. I'm pretty proud of it, but more so the knowledge I've gained while putting it together, which let me create those History threads over at the CS Forums, which is now defunct :(

Those history threads were one of the reasons I started collecting CS.I still refer to them even now. Have you explored having them set up on here?

i always liked aus10 done right heat treatment wise. i dont see this as a bad thing. id rather xhp kept being used over s35vn....but its a good steel as well. could be much worse.......cold steel could start using 8cr13mov on some knives.....wait they did.:)

If these steels are made here why not the knives then. Seems silly to pay the shipping on the steel then the knives. Made sense to have Japan make them with their steel so why not the good old US of A.

Because US labor cost will double if not triple the knives cost and generally US made have lower quality in fit and finish than Japanese made which also have high labor cost. Taiwan has low labor cost and high quality control with good fit and finish so best if both worlds.

Aus10? How come that was. So rarely seen in the past? And if comparable to ats34 and expensive, why not use rhe ats34? I ve had great experience with that steel.

:( I must admit that some of CS's recent changes seem to be a tad backwards pointing . But , I understand that CS is perhaps more sensitive to value and price point for it's customer base than many other manufactures . :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back