Axis lock flick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Therefore not counterfeit. Ganzo are neither original designs, nor counterfeit models.

It's 2016 and we have a wonderfully functional global economy that's making all of us rich just like they said it would....it's "homage" not original, not stolen, but an "homage" to a great design.

Synonyms in the knife community:

Stolen/Counterfiet/homage/intellectual property theft/patent infringement/copy.

I have a slide lock like the axis on my original Cold Steel AK-47 and I always pull on the lock when opening, never had issues.

Quick question, I've had my AK apart and the locking mechanism looks quite a lot like the Benchmade Axis lock. Now was cold steel using it with permission, or is the lock different enough not to be confused with the axis design? I'm curious because I've never heard anyone here complain about it and I can't imagine Cold Steel using an unofficial Axis without this forum breaking the internet over it, lol.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Regardless of how anyone wants to spin it, Ganzo, and others like them, are profiting off the R&D, designing talent, engineering, and hard work of others. To me that's wrong, but I don't sit in judgement of others for their buying habits. As the countless Benchmade fans, myself being one, have already attested to, the Axis-lock will provide years of trouble free service no matter how you use it. If you buy a genuine BM, then you also have the lifetime warranty if anything ever does go wrong. You would also have the peace of mind of knowing the company has been around for a long time and likely will be for a long time more. Something that cant always be said for a newer knife company. If I were the OP I would just use the Ganzo and not worry about it, after all it has already been purchased. Perhaps something will be learned from its use. I would just hope they have copied the Axis-lock as well as everything else they seem to copy.

As best I can determine, the US patent on the axis lock (5,737,841--held by McHenry and Williams) has now expired.

Does that make a difference to anyone?

FWIW, I don't have a dog in this fight, as the only axis lock knife I own is a Benchmade, and I don't feel qualified to serve as anyone else's conscience.

I really like it, J. I got introduced to them through a friend who is into bushcraft and bought one of their folders as a beater. Because, like so many of us can relate to unfortunately, he apparently did not feel comfortable using his beloved and rather pricey knife for heavy tasks. For me, that defies the purpose of buying a knife. I hate having things sitting around that I'm not gonna use. But anyway, he ordered one for me and I am so pleasantly surprised. This really makes me rethink things I have purchased in the past.

Now was cold steel using it with permission, or is the lock different enough not to be confused with the axis design? I'm curious because I've never heard anyone here complain about it and I can't imagine Cold Steel using an unofficial Axis without this forum breaking the internet over it, lol.

No one's ocmplaining because Cold Steel is not a Chinese company.

They license it to CS. The twist master on the other hand ripped off the French. Like we owe them anything.

All countries have companies that have flogged a design concept. China isn't the only place.
If a design is out of patent, it's all good. That's what the laws are about.

They license it to CS. The twist master on the other hand ripped off the French. Like we owe them anything.
Well, the Opinel design has been around for about 100 years so any patents have long since expired. The Twistmaster is a bit different though and a more heavy duty construction. When you think about knife designs, there's probably very little that hasn't been thought of and experimented with somewhere along the

Well, I had a couple more comments, but ...

I can help dispel ignorance. You will have suffer your arrogance on your own.
Sosa, you are a disgrace to your American history classes.

I really like it, J. I got introduced to them through a friend who is into bushcraft and bought one of their folders as a beater. Because, like so many of us can relate to unfortunately, he apparently did not feel comfortable using his beloved and rather pricey knife for heavy tasks. For me, that defies the purpose of buying a knife. I hate having things sitting around that I'm not gonna use. But anyway, he ordered one for me and I am so pleasantly surprised. This really makes me rethink things I have purchased in the past.

No one's ocmplaining because Cold Steel is not a Chinese company.

This is not a "Chinese" thing, it's very much an "American made thing"....it's about people who don't seem to realize the bigger picture of the decisions they are making.....

But this is not shocking, nobody seems to understand the bigger picture until it kicks them in the a$$.

Anyway, back on topic. Maybe you should call Ganzo (is that possible?) and ask them what materials they use to make their "homage" Axis lock and then do the same with BM.
That might give you a good start in figuring how much flicking the knives can take.

Other then that, build quality and just good old fashioned time will tell....

Painkiller is right in that Ganzo did not steal designs. Ganzo is a company offering Ganzo knives, not counterfeit Benchmades. The models range from being modified to heavily inspired. Not even getting into that very obvious and very inane assembled in x region with X super secret parts discussion... Quite a few US knife companies ordered Ganzo to make those knives. Ordered Ganzo to make Ganzo knives. I did not say they ordered Ganzo to make US knives. Look that up yourself or contact their customer support. I don't know if BM was one of them and I don't have the time to read through all the links that have been posted in this thread, so sorry that I cannot comment on that. But a bunch of grown adults derailing a thread about one simple question so quickly amused me quite a bit.

I wanted to thank everyone who told me about their experiences. I was thinking of the axis lock as much more of a beater than your average liner lock, so it's good to hear from people who use their knives and don't put them up for display. The Spyerco compression lock was a favorite of mine before trying out this Ganzo knife.

Oh my god, what a dull slogan. There is nothing integral about a US-American, a German or a Swiss flag being stamped onto a product. I said it before and will say it again: I could not care less where a knife is made, the working conditions are what's important to me. Other than that, I have had Benchmade knives in my hands and decided not to buy them. Not just because of the price tag, but because of the entire attitude and marketing. My decision. I did not see anyone stopping you on your shopping tour, so quit being BM's marketing robot for a second and realize that it's not just you who is free to take his money wherever he pleases. My conclusion has been that no pocket knife could ever be worth that money. No Benchmade, no Ganzo. Nothing built from scratch all by myself. If your purchase is so great and so worth the money, you must not tell everyone they absolutely have to purchase that same product for the same price or they're "doing something wrong". Comes across a little insecure, at best.

You don't have to spend a lot of money on a knife. The excuse of cost in supporting counterfeits is weak. Yes, counterfeit. Buy a Ganzo that advertises as an Axis lock then you have bought a counterfeit. At least own it. If your excuse for buying a counterfeit is that you can't afford a $100 knife then there is good reason why you are poor and can't afford a $100 knife. Improve your life situation. Buy better stuff. Or don't. But don't brag about supporting counterfeiting on a knife forum. Did you not see this:

When a moderator cites Bladeforums rules, you are being put on notice to comply with them. We try to leave room for discussion, but on this website, our rules override your dictionary.

Or this:

1. Rules For The Exchange & Discussion Forums - (All Rules Apply Site-Wide)
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/announcement.php?f=699&a=98

SECTION 5 - Miscellaneous -

As fakes and homage items are a legal gray area and obviously hurt the hobby, no fake or homage items may be sold on the Exchange. Members may not knowingly sell unlicensed knockoffs or counterfeit versions of knives (or any other goods) based upon the designs of their legitimate owner, manufacturer or custom maker. Additionally, members may not sell any knife or item known or suspected to be other than as described in terms of its lineage and authenticity.

2. Back off the snide remarks and your opinions might receive more respect. Constant repetition of "lmao" and "murica" match the insults and trolling you seem to enjoy.

Yes. I do not have to spend a lot of money on a knife. Exactly my thoughts.

Show me where I said that I cannot afford a 300 dollar knife. I said I do not want to spend 300 dollars on a knife. Read the posts again. No knife is worth 300 dollars to me. Furthermore, you have the nerve to call a complete stranger poor? Sounds like an accusation, almost. Someone's insecure! You do not impress internet strangers by being pretentious. I guess it helps a chronic underachiever such as yourself to feel better, but that speaks volumes about your character. Or lack thereof. You could have actually asked me what the package/manual I received said. And "axis lock" was not noted in there anywhere. Anyway, I am not explaining the difference between counterfeit and fake to a grown adult more than once. That is assuming you are one. We're done here, little man. Come back after a year of testosterone therapy. Or two.

Show me where I said that I cannot afford a 300 dollar knife. I said I do not want to spend 300 dollars on a knife. Read the posts again. No knife is worth 300 dollars to me. Furthermore, you have the nerve to call a complete stranger poor? Sounds like an accusation, almost. Someone's insecure! You do not impress internet strangers by being pretentious. I guess it helps a chronic underachiever such as yourself to feel better, but that speaks volumes about your character. Or lack thereof. You could have actually asked me what the package/manual I received said. And "axis lock" was not noted in there anywhere. Anyway, I am not explaining the difference between counterfeit and fake to a grown adult more than once. That is assuming you are one. We're done here, little man. Come back after a year of testosterone therapy. Or two.

You bought a knife with a counterfeit lock. Sorry if that hurts your feelings. Buy better stuff or I can say this will not be your only negative experience with buying crap. Your fake knife might fail and chop your fingers off. Ganzo does not care.....

Wow 23 post and less than a month here and you are into this type of post? Way to keep it classy new guy.

Little man? Is that you Claude?

Na probably not. Listen Tom, fakes and counterfeiters aren't popular here, take a hint.

Cray, if you could take your personality disorder somewhere else. Please. You keep putting words in my mouth. I did not say getting the knife was a negative experience. I did not say that. I said I was very positively surprised. Had you actually read my posts, you would have seen that and how I got it as a gift and did not buy it.

Cray, if you could take your personality disorder somewhere else. Please. You keep putting words in my mouth. I did not say getting the knife was a negative experience. I did not say that. I said I was very positively surprised. Had you actually read my posts, you would have seen that and how I got it as a gift and did not buy it.

Sorry. My bad. You got given a counterfeit. All else applies. Enjoy your fingers while you have them :thumbup:

We try to leave room for discussion, but on this website, our rules override your dictionary.

Anyway, I am not explaining the difference between counterfeit and fake to a grown adult more than once.

Maybe you could explain why You are the only person that thinks there is a difference between "Counterfeit" and "Fake"?
In Every type of use, the First Listed Synonym is what?

Please see the search for Counterfeit Synonym listed:

Yes, this was done just for you.

Yep. Just like calling a stranger you have never spoken to "poor" is classy. Must be my working class background ;)

Working class? Like defending a counterfeiter who rips off other peoples hard work? Shameful. I didn't call you poor. Read the words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back