Backyard SURVIVE!n'

About a 3 inch piece of cordage for making jigs. Some small hooks a few weights and a couple of swivels. The silver spool is just for thread but a little modifications to the floss container it was like it was built just for it.

The black and white floss container has about 25 foot or so of spider wire mono 4-5 weights and hooks.

And yes I made it from an old axe can.

I'll post some of one of my other fishing kits. Its easy and cheap. Handy to have in a pinch.

About a 3 inch piece of cordage for making jigs. Some small hooks a few weights and a couple of swivels. The silver spool is just for thread but a little modifications to the floss container it was like it was built just for it.

A floss container is perfect for that and an AXE body spray can is genius! I think I might have one sitting around!
Do you use isopropyl alcohol for your fuel?

Those paracord jigs are slick and make for a really nice looking hair jig if ya spruce em up.
Great fishing kit idea.

I also use this floss container rig to have easy access to line to make my own leaders. I'll respool my old line. Its still good but not quite the tension strength. So I makes decent leaders when I don't use steel. Plus it keeps it tidy, with no mess. No tangled line.

My 58 year old female client shared this idea with me. It's a 1qt paint can with a roll of toilet paper jammed in it (cardboard removed) and filled up with isopropyl alcohol till it was saturated. I put it together months ago and it still works great. Maybe $3-$5 to do depending on where you can get material.
76df1f57ea65242cf4d94383f210375b.jpg

a985a68b95d31428445902e4a2133732.jpg

e85d1af98a4e483fe71897138ad56ee0.jpg

I still want to make a wire mesh cooking stand for it but it would probably work well for a backup heat source if I was stuck somewhere.

My 58 year old female client shared this idea with me. It's a 1qt paint can with a roll of toilet paper jammed in it (cardboard removed) and filled up with isopropyl alcohol till it was saturated. I put it together months ago and it still works great. Maybe $3-$5 to do depending on where you can get material.

Cool, that's a great idea! And it's reusable, right? Or do you have to burn it all in one go?

It's completely reusable. It only burns the gas from the alcohol but I bet it would eventually burn the TP once the fuel runs low.

My father and I did this when I was younger in the stand. When he was teaching me to hunt. We used coffee cans, but there not too many metal ones now. If burned too long it will roast the paper. Good heat source for the cold. Something to keep in a car kit. But only burn these in well ventilated areas. It does produce carbon monoxide.

When I was a kid you could get containers that burned like that from the local Army Surplus store. They were about the size of a snoose can, but all metal and thick. I think they had a gel in them, though, like Sterno. They burned a nice clear flame. I think they've gone over to the sealed metal packets of trioxide (?) stove fuel now.

I use Sterno cans but its more to cook on ^^^this^^^ above is more of comfort heating. It would cook in a pinch just not as effective.

My father and I did this when I was younger in the stand. When he was teaching me to hunt. We used coffee cans, but there not too many metal ones now. If burned too long it will roast the paper. Good heat source for the cold. Something to keep in a car kit. But only burn these in well ventilated areas. It does produce carbon monoxide.

I was curious what kind of chemicals it puts off. I've always lit it outside but it has that burnt alcohol funk smell to it.

Maybe 20 min then you gotta smoother it for a little bit. We just used it to get blood moving to extremities on cold mornings sitting still.

I forgot about this thread!
Anyways, here are a few Try Sticks from last night. The 4.1 and 5 did great and I don't have any hot spots or blisters.
0fc56ac9ecd6ec8f17f6f78c510fd45d.jpg

28bb25db4328b9db964cd927179ae071.jpg

384095bf2c4597c3f13366e8d8766781.jpg

1030dd80ab82f560eb90814a27aa9ee2.jpg

564a129833466c7dd29a45401ce689d2.jpg

Back