• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad News - Derespina strikes again and it keeps getting better - Buyers Beware!!

Here ya go ;)

20171003_102251_zpsduc8qvmx.jpg~original

~Chip

WValtakis WValtakis
You might want to pull the pic down and edit out your address from the shipping box.

As for the knife, I hope it is what you were aiming for. It is not my cup of tea, but I hope that you are happy with it. If so, congrats!

WValtakis WValtakis
You might want to pull the pic down and edit out your address from the shipping box.

Sorry for the confusion, it's actually A Animus31 's pic that I fixed the link so people can see it (added "~original" after the "xxx.jpg").

That's good advice though:thumbsup:

~Chip

My knife. Very very pleased with it. May send it back for one additional serration towards the handle on the back edge. I already had to send it back once for sheath retightening and Richard got it back to me within a week. I am convinced that his turn-around time has vastly improved at this point. I have already made a deposit on another karambit he is telling me should be due around the holidays this year. Call me a fool if you like - but I can't seem to find any other makers out there who make a quality karambit in the style that I like (extream forward blade curve - for a boxing style). IF he gets this next karambit to me ON TIME...THEN I will come back and recommend his services. At this point, I cannot recommend him unless you have the disposable income to blow and are willing to potentially wait a year or two. IN THE END...you will get your knife - if that is any solace.
7xmJRc0l.jpg~original

vIsnqQdl.jpg~original

FmyDZOfl.jpg~original

Last edited:
Here ya go ;)

20171003_102251_zpsduc8qvmx.jpg~original

~Chip

Wow...thats a big honking thing ain't it...I don't see why you would ever want a karambit that big. To each their own. Below is the biggest karambit I have ever owned. It was an Airborne Knives Predator I decided to sell because it was just too bulky and heavy.

Ze89Y62l.jpg~original

Last edited:
Oh man I wish I would have found these Derespina Knives Review threads about Rich and his business practices before I paid for what was supposed to be Production Model 10. Now several years into the experience ... I have all but given up on ever seeing my knife.

- https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...the-buyer-beware.1403618/page-3#post-17393183
- https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/derespina.1513609/#post-17380893

I don't know how many people see these threads but I started a Facebook Page to try to capture customer experiences. I am also curious just how may people are on the list for a Production Model 10.

- https://www.facebook.com/Unofficial-Derespina-Knives-Customer-Experiences-918337688325328

What chaps me is that he is apparently still taking pre-paid, pre-orders for his "almost finished" production Model 10...

Rich Derespina received a massive up-front payment from me back in 2013......it was $2000.00....and i;m still waiting, he has never taken the time to send me an email, even though he received all this money from me, up front......at one point, i received a reply on his facebook page, saying i should me getting my knives at mid December 2017 or early January 2018.......nothing has come so far......seems like he selectively delivers only to customers he is afraid off- people who regularly post videos on youtube or people threating him with lawsuits......the rest of us, are obviously his stupid victims.....

So just an update and PSA...

I received my production Model 10, but the guy used a fake Tek-Lok. Are you serious?! After this circus ride, I doubt if he even used D2 steel like he was supposed to... what a hack... at least he stripped the details from his website and added a picture of his fake "Tek-Lok." ...good luck with all that!

At the time I thought I was buying a quality piece from a standup guy, but all I got was a raw deal and a dubious product. I would NOT buy from Rich again, and I don't recommend anyone else does either.

20180406_104207.jpg

First post. Thought I'd throw my hat in with the other unfortunate souls in this thread (and the others).

Placed my Lucky 13 order with Richard in August of 2014. Responded to me virtually instantly each of the 3 times I emailed him that day, regarding the initial order placement, costs to ship to Canada, insurance, etc. I send the deposit with my order specifications as instructed.

5c07PV8

5c07PV8.jpg

After I sent the deposit, I was patient...I had been told approximately 20 months, so I waited over 2 years before I contacted him again. I've sent a couple emails and a facebook message since, not a word out of him. I'm part of the Derespina knives group on facebook so I saw his post addressed to all his customers about the long delays...fine. Aside from that minute inclusion in his growing list of unhappy customers, not a word. I saw that he did indeed read the facebook message I sent him, but not even the tiniest acknowledgement. Basically read it to see if maybe it was an order from another sucker willing to pony up half (or more!) of the cost up front and when it became clear that it wasn't, promptly ignored it.

Its obvious that these threads do get around. Despite the lack of communication and delay, I hope to finally hear something back from Richard. Unprofessional behavior aside, I do still want my knife.

Placed my order for a Lucky 13 back in September 14. I was told a 1 year wait probably, fine, then flash forward to November 2017, he post that it will be out by December. May 2018 and no word. Anyone have his phone number so I can call? I paid in full back then (2014) and I am just about to call for legal action. I will give him a chance to speak himself but if I don't see results, I have to get the point across with legal action.

First post. Thought I'd throw my hat in with the other unfortunate souls in this thread (and the others).

Placed my Lucky 13 order with Richard in August of 2014. Responded to me virtually instantly each of the 3 times I emailed him that day, regarding the initial order placement, costs to ship to Canada, insurance, etc. I send the deposit with my order specifications as instructed.

5c07PV8

5c07PV8.jpg

After I sent the deposit, I was patient...I had been told approximately 20 months, so I waited over 2 years before I contacted him again. I've sent a couple emails and a facebook message since, not a word out of him. I'm part of the Derespina knives group on facebook so I saw his post addressed to all his customers about the long delays...fine. Aside from that minute inclusion in his growing list of unhappy customers, not a word. I saw that he did indeed read the facebook message I sent him, but not even the tiniest acknowledgement. Basically read it to see if maybe it was an order from another sucker willing to pony up half (or more!) of the cost up front and when it became clear that it wasn't, promptly ignored it.

Its obvious that these threads do get around. Despite the lack of communication and delay, I hope to finally hear something back from Richard. Unprofessional behavior aside, I do still want my knife.

He's a victim of this strange anomaly, his computer can only send messages to people before he steals their money. It's an affliction that has struck several alleged knife makers here. They also seem to suffer from numerous physical ills and multiple dead or dying grandmothers...in their younger days I've no doubt that their homework was routinely devoured by hordes of roving canines...

Ricard is a full time liar, a crook and he will do anything to take your money and give you nothing in return. I bought 5 pieces from this bastard back in February, got none. Since I live in Argentina and was planning a trip to the states in Octobre , the deal was that he would deliver my blades by mid September. Paid 50 % deposit for a total of $1105 that are certainly lost, used to pay his personal bills. I was able to contact his father but they are obviously the same kind of shit. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. If I would be a USA resident I would chase this bastard with a laywer and try to stop him from robbing other people. I wonder why , none of you have doen that, incredible

I came here because I have had a similar experience with Richard. In summary, I paid $770 in full for a custom knife back in mid 2017, the first custom knife I had ever ordered. Richard was very responsive at first. At the time I made my initial deposit Richard said it would be a year before he was able to finish my knife. In the following months I made several more installment payments until I had paid in full. A few months after I paid in full, Richard stopped responding to all of my correspondence. I have continually attempted to contact him by email, Facebook, etc to no avail. Recently I have been attempting to get my money refunded and am in the process of attempting to open a criminal and/or civil investigation into Richard for repeated bad business practices, since I'm evidently not the first person to have this experience.

TO ANYONE WHO PAID RICHARD FOR A KNIFE THEY NEVER RECEIVED; Please contact the Downington, PA (Richard's current town of residence) police department at (610) 269-0263 and file a report with them as I have done. If they receive other reports regarding Richard ripping people off, they will have stronger jurisdiction to charge him with criminal business practices.

Yes, I want my money back. Just as importantly, I want this to stop happening to others

I am going to pass the message along because someone said this to me and it rung very true.

"The hardest knife to finish is one you have already been paid for."

The whole knife community should band together and commit to no more upfront payments.

:thumbsup:

Rich Derespina received a massive up-front payment from me back in 2013......it was $2000.00....and i;m still waiting

Paid 50 % deposit for a total of $1105 that are certainly lost

I can't see myself making a full payment up front..be it 100 or 2000 dollars.
An ideal practice, for me, would be a 20-30% deposit, half of the remaining funds when the job is half done with pictures of the progress, and the rest just before shipping, again with pictures showing the end product. That way, the craftsman will still have the economic incentive to go on with the product, and the emails can serve as evidence in case of bad practices..

The emails can be done in a chain form with all the blades showing at one or two pictures, addressed to all customers....that would reduce the time needed for this.

I am not offering any kind of services so i don't have an objective opinion about the cost/time involved vs the payment span..if someone does and cares to comment whether this would be viable in practice for this line of business would be great.

Hopefully all directly involved with this matter will get their money money or knife soon.

An ideal practice would be suing the pants off such scammers and criminal prosecution where there is a pattern of not delivering = arguably larceny by trick.

"Rich Derespina does all he can to bring you the best in custom "tactical" knives for professional users and laymen alike. ."
KnifeCenter.com

He rarely makes the same knife twice for a more custom and personal feel. While the profiles are the same the grinds change all the time. Currently he is expanding into the factory knife market but never leaving behind his passion for hand making knives."
Arizona Custom Knives

"Richard Derespina made (and still makes) some of the most stunning custom karambits I have ever seen."
Ammoland

"The Derespina designed Karamabit [sic] Folder from Fox Knives is a fine collaboration. "
BladeHQ

" This is the production version of the now infamous Model 10 Karambit. The Model 10 was designed to be the tactical fixed blade that is the perfect choice for EDC. Everyone raves about the ergonomics of the Model 10 and the carry-ability of this compact karambit. The D2 tool steel blade measures 2.75 in. tip to handle and is 0.185 in. thick. The blade is double ground, just like the custom, with functional jimping on the thumb ramp and a brushed satin finish. The angle in which the blade style sits in relation to the handle creates maximum cutting and slashing power as well as penetration. Tip to tip, this knife measures 6.5 in. overall with a one-inch diameter pinky ring. This is a well-built karambit with superior ergonomics from one of the best and it comes with a friction fit Kydex sheath with adjustable belt clip attached. It is one of the premier tactical tools on the market and it makes us happy to see it in production form with the exact same materials as the custom but at an excellent price point."
OsoGrande Knives

OyLIfrs.png

Last edited:
I have ordered two knives from Richard Derespina - one in 2015 and one in mid 2018. I have received both my knives at this point - and have been extremely pleased with both of them.
The one I ordered in 2015 I did not receive until 2017 (OUCH!!!) and the one I ordered in mid 2018 I received 2 months ago.

Richard was very communicative when making payment - entirely not communicative for months to YEARS afterwards, and then (usually a month before I received my knife in both circumstances) he would pick back up communication to "payment period" levels and I would get exactly the knife I wanted at THAT point (even if it was way different than my original design when I paid - he accommodated).

I cannot defend Richards business practices at all. In the past I have been so completely furious with his lack of communication that I debated doing so truly drastic (legal), and foolish (illegal) things.
He has been much more communicative with me AFTER I received my knives - If i send him a pic of his knife and one of my guns right (EDC forum) now he will probably get right back by this afternoon...
Regardless, IF I was to order another knife from Derespina tomorrow I would have 100% faith that he will get me my knife...before I die one day. And when I get it it will be a true piece of art.

I will probably not order from Richard again - because I can't wait, potentially, two years for a knife.
But I do not blame people who would want to get a knife from him, even at this point with his reputation. He makes a traditional styled, double bladed, karambit with modern materials and a nasty forward curve. I could not find that combo anywhere else. Not on karambit.com or from any of the makers listed in this thread https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/what-are-some-of-the-best-karambit-custom-designers.725114/

Last edited:
I received one email from him shortly after I posted my above message here, on his Facebook page (he deleted that comment), and after calling his local law enforcement. He had the same excuses and sob stories that litter this thread, and conveniently reminded me of the “no refunds” policy listed on his website (which I guess he thinks makes it legal to steal money from naive potential customers without ever delivering a product in return). He has not responded to any of my subsequent emails since. Therefore, again;

TO ANYONE WHO PAID RICHARD FOR A KNIFE THEY NEVER RECEIVED; Please contact the Downington, PA (Richard's current town of residence) police department at (610) 269-0263 and file a report with them as I have done. If they receive other reports regarding Richard ripping people off, they will have stronger jurisdiction to charge him with criminal business practices.

I received one email from him shortly after I posted my above message here, on his Facebook page (he deleted that comment), and after calling his local law enforcement. He had the same excuses and sob stories that litter this thread, and conveniently reminded me of the “no refunds” policy listed on his website (which I guess he thinks makes it legal to steal money from naive potential customers without ever delivering a product in return). He has not responded to any of my subsequent emails since. Therefore, again;

Alas, I am totally new to this forum having only just joined about 2 minutes ago.... I purchased a enso from Richard and paid a deposit of £290 dollars up front (I was green and didn't know better) for this...that was in june 2014!..... he's basically ignored everything since then, I gave up on this some time ago but opon seeing another good friend get ripped off by someone it fired me up again.... do not under any circumstances deal with Richard Derespina, the mans nothing but a thief

My knife. Very very pleased with it. May send it back for one additional serration towards the handle on the back edge. I already had to send it back once for sheath retightening and Richard got it back to me within a week. I am convinced that his turn-around time has vastly improved at this point. I have already made a deposit on another karambit he is telling me should be due around the holidays this year. Call me a fool if you like - but I can't seem to find any other makers out there who make a quality karambit in the style that I like (extream forward blade curve - for a boxing style). IF he gets this next karambit to me ON TIME...THEN I will come back and recommend his services. At this point, I cannot recommend him unless you have the disposable income to blow and are willing to potentially wait a year or two. IN THE END...you will get your knife - if that is any solace.

Guess it's not much solace. :rolleyes:

Back