• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad News - Derespina strikes again and it keeps getting better - Buyers Beware!!

Oh man I wish I would have found these Derespina Knives Review threads about Rich and his business practices before I paid for what was supposed to be Production Model 10. Now several years into the experience ... I have all but given up on ever seeing my knife.

- https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...the-buyer-beware.1403618/page-3#post-17393183
- https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/derespina.1513609/#post-17380893

I don't know how many people see these threads but I started a Facebook Page to try to capture customer experiences. I am also curious just how may people are on the list for a Production Model 10.

- https://www.facebook.com/Unofficial-Derespina-Knives-Customer-Experiences-918337688325328

What chaps me is that he is apparently still taking pre-paid, pre-orders for his "almost finished" production Model 10...
is that page a live FB page, because id love to add my experiences to it.

First post. Thought I'd throw my hat in with the other unfortunate souls in this thread (and the others).

Placed my Lucky 13 order with Richard in August of 2014. Responded to me virtually instantly each of the 3 times I emailed him that day, regarding the initial order placement, costs to ship to Canada, insurance, etc. I send the deposit with my order specifications as instructed.

5c07PV8

5c07PV8.jpg

After I sent the deposit, I was patient...I had been told approximately 20 months, so I waited over 2 years before I contacted him again. I've sent a couple emails and a facebook message since, not a word out of him. I'm part of the Derespina knives group on facebook so I saw his post addressed to all his customers about the long delays...fine. Aside from that minute inclusion in his growing list of unhappy customers, not a word. I saw that he did indeed read the facebook message I sent him, but not even the tiniest acknowledgement. Basically read it to see if maybe it was an order from another sucker willing to pony up half (or more!) of the cost up front and when it became clear that it wasn't, promptly ignored it.

Its obvious that these threads do get around. Despite the lack of communication and delay, I hope to finally hear something back from Richard. Unprofessional behavior aside, I do still want my knife.
Did you ever hear from him?

Did you ever hear from him?
I highly doubt you will, the mans a thief..... if he does contact you...and its a massive IF...you'll just get lie upon lies upon lies
imagne my response if now he contacts and asks for the remaining balance?...lol...would you trust this man??

Same thing happened to me. I was supposed to have received it Jan 2017. I have yet to have received the order.

Record of downpayment sent:
July 18, 2016
Richard Derespina
-negative $412.50
Money Sent

Sent to
Richard Derespina
derespinaknives@yahoo.com
Note
Hi Richard, sir, Black handles please, Thanks!
Details
Sent to Richard Derespina
$412.50
Total
$412.50
Here is an email he sent out June 7th 2018:
Hi All,
Just an update that I'm still busting my ass trying to complete your knives to you. With such a large workload and just these two arthritic hands, some occasional tendonitis, etc... well it can be a bit slow. However, if you're receiving this email, you're knives are closer to completion. I should be in touch with each of you individually, over the next two months. Summer is going to be a season of deliveries and order completion. As you may or may not know, I suffered some set backs last year in the form of some family tragedy, illness and mechanical issues. As well as moving from our old home to a new and permanent place about 40 miles away. The move is definitely positive!

For those who asked about Blade show last weekend, I was indeed in Atlanta. Sadly I was unable to attend the show because my son was competing in the National History Bee and Geography Bee. He made us extremely proud and scored a medal and a decent ranking nationally. Parental duties often get in the way of business. Next year, we're looking to better juggle the scheduling of both events so that I can make the show. I will keep everyone posted on my website.

Lastly, I've also been juggling the new Production Version Mod10 Karambit. So far, it's a hit! Keep an eye out, it's a great blade at a great value. I will be releasing other designs in 2019.

I want to apologize for the very long wait for my responses. I understand that some may be frustrated, which is why I often tell people as does my website that I won't contact you until I am closer to the completion of your blade. One day, I'll have to hire someone to help out, probably my son if he's willing but that will have to wait until his a tiny bit older.

Again, my sincerest apologies for the delay. We will be speaking soon.

Sincerely,
Rich Derespina
http://www.derespinaknives.com/

Same thing happened to me. I was supposed to have received it Jan 2017. I have yet to have received the order.

Record of downpayment sent:
July 18, 2016
Richard Derespina
-negative $412.50
Money Sent

Sent to
Richard Derespina
derespinaknives@yahoo.com
Note
Hi Richard, sir, Black handles please, Thanks!
Details
Sent to Richard Derespina
$412.50
Total
$412.50
Here is an email he sent out June 7th 2018:
Hi All,
Just an update that I'm still busting my ass trying to complete your knives to you. With such a large workload and just these two arthritic hands, some occasional tendonitis, etc... well it can be a bit slow. However, if you're receiving this email, you're knives are closer to completion. I should be in touch with each of you individually, over the next two months. Summer is going to be a season of deliveries and order completion. As you may or may not know, I suffered some set backs last year in the form of some family tragedy, illness and mechanical issues. As well as moving from our old home to a new and permanent place about 40 miles away. The move is definitely positive!

For those who asked about Blade show last weekend, I was indeed in Atlanta. Sadly I was unable to attend the show because my son was competing in the National History Bee and Geography Bee. He made us extremely proud and scored a medal and a decent ranking nationally. Parental duties often get in the way of business. Next year, we're looking to better juggle the scheduling of both events so that I can make the show. I will keep everyone posted on my website.

Lastly, I've also been juggling the new Production Version Mod10 Karambit. So far, it's a hit! Keep an eye out, it's a great blade at a great value. I will be releasing other designs in 2019.

I want to apologize for the very long wait for my responses. I understand that some may be frustrated, which is why I often tell people as does my website that I won't contact you until I am closer to the completion of your blade. One day, I'll have to hire someone to help out, probably my son if he's willing but that will have to wait until his a tiny bit older.

Again, my sincerest apologies for the delay. We will be speaking soon.

Sincerely,
Rich Derespina
http://www.derespinaknives.com/

Yeeaahh, I got the same generic email sent out
Hi All,
I know, a group email is not exactly perfect or specific enough but since I have so many emails to answer to, I am lumping some smaller groups together. Some of you are due around this time, as I'd stated on facebook and to some of you via email I am trying to get as much done around Xmas and New year as possible. If you're receiving this, you're one of those people and I am working on your gear.

However, as I am swamped I am alerting you to some time issues. I am making your knives, some are in heat treat and others of a more Custom kind, are mid process in shaping their profiles. Some bigger blades and some swords in particular. These are one of a kinds and/or newer prototypes. They are all hand made, every bit and due to their size are gonna require greater attention to detail. As well as longer grind times and then off to heat treat.

As of now the tally for the next heat treat delivery is about 130 knives... I rarely do that many of at one time. Actually never, I usually keep it down to around 30 to 50 at a time. Some of the grinds are also somewhat complex.

Please bare with me as I try and get all of your work done, some will see knives at xmas and others around new years(January). But rest assured I am on the case...

I sincerely appreciate your patience. It is truly a virtue. Finally, anyone who's been back ordered too long will receive a 10 percent discount on the next 3 future purchases as a make up gift for the delay.

Happy Holidays!
Rich Derespina

PS, some of you also have Model 10 Production orders. The knives are finally done and being packaged. Should be received by the end of the month!

If you click on the website however you'll see its been taken down....he's gone, still selling on TheKnifecentre though....personally?... id contact his local police and charge him with criminal mis-practice (yeah you can do that)

Yeeaahh, I got the same generic email sent out
Hi All,
I know, a group email is not exactly perfect or specific enough but since I have so many emails to answer to, I am lumping some smaller groups together. Some of you are due around this time, as I'd stated on facebook and to some of you via email I am trying to get as much done around Xmas and New year as possible. If you're receiving this, you're one of those people and I am working on your gear.

However, as I am swamped I am alerting you to some time issues. I am making your knives, some are in heat treat and others of a more Custom kind, are mid process in shaping their profiles. Some bigger blades and some swords in particular. These are one of a kinds and/or newer prototypes. They are all hand made, every bit and due to their size are gonna require greater attention to detail. As well as longer grind times and then off to heat treat.

As of now the tally for the next heat treat delivery is about 130 knives... I rarely do that many of at one time. Actually never, I usually keep it down to around 30 to 50 at a time. Some of the grinds are also somewhat complex.

Please bare with me as I try and get all of your work done, some will see knives at xmas and others around new years(January). But rest assured I am on the case...

I sincerely appreciate your patience. It is truly a virtue. Finally, anyone who's been back ordered too long will receive a 10 percent discount on the next 3 future purchases as a make up gift for the delay.

Happy Holidays!
Rich Derespina

PS, some of you also have Model 10 Production orders. The knives are finally done and being packaged. Should be received by the end of the month!

If you click on the website however you'll see its been taken down....he's gone, still selling on TheKnifecentre though....personally?... id contact his local police and charge him with criminal mis-practice (yeah you can do that)
What a generous soul - 10% off your next 3 purchases!

I highly doubt you will, the mans a thief..... if he does contact you...and its a massive IF...you'll just get lie upon lies upon lies
imagne my response if now he contacts and asks for the remaining balance?...lol...would you trust this man??

He never did contact me. I don't know what made me think to check on this again, months later, but I discovered that his website is gone. Hopefully that means some folks took action to shut down that crook.

Back