Barbeque Gator Salad w/Millineum Machete

You mean that you're not supposed to eat the skins? They hold all the hot, slippery parts together until I can get it in my mouth. To think of all the knife sheaths I've eaten and not known, hmmm...

I guess that makes me about as sharp as a bag of bowling balls, Eh? Live and learn
smile.gif

All the Best

Dileas Gu Brath

Come On Tom...I can take it!! I know that you're just ITCHING to let loose a volley!! Oh, and Jerry...you can lead off if the Wowie from Maui can't think of a good one first
smile.gif

The Wowie from Maui? How about the Yahoo from Oahu?

Well, I've eaten some pretty nasty stuff, especially overseas. Some of those things I won't even admit to.

In Panama I ate monkey; that was pretty foul. Iguana is very good, and most snake meat is pretty good. Most bugs taste like you'd expect - bugs! Generally, if you cook anything enough, it becomes almost edible.

In Japan I've eaten a couple dishes that don't even translate. On about the fourth course of a very expensive Japanese dinner one evening, I asked my host what the white lumpy substance was that I was eating. (Don't ever ask that question in Japan). His reply was, "Ah, Jerry-san. This is very difficult to translate. This dish comes from the male tuna..." He didn't need to finish. Dinner was over right there. I spent the rest of the night gargling with my sake.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com

Konnichiwa, Jerry-san. Ogenki desu ka?

Didn't know you had been to Japan, Jerry.
The food is pretty special and one should be careful what restaurants you venture into. Some of the restaurants in Tokyo are..."designed" for those with virility problems. No, they don't have special seats, but the menu is special. Includes such *cough* delicacies as pigs balls, frogs, eels, snakes and other things. Most of which are consumed raw...
Supposed to be good for keeping the Yang up...
I'll stick with Sushi and Ramen, thank you
smile.gif

------------------
Regards
Joshua "Kage" Calvert

"Move like Water, strike like Thunder..."

That's a Wahoo, Tom, you yahoo!

It wasn't easy Jonesy, especially with Tom on here.

I've eaten most of those other delicacies Carnifex, except the pig balls. I'm not sure they can be any worse than Tuna balls though.

kampai!

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com

I've eaten a lot of wild game,and I'm not against trying something new,but somtimes It's best to not know what your eating.Especially if you go to China.Ever hear of Birds nest soup?Its made from a birds nest,and what do birds do in thier nest?The same thing they do to your car when you've just washed it!Not only that but this particular bird regurgitates onto its nest to stick it together.the whole nest is steamed over a pot and eveything that drips out is used as the stock for the soup.Bird vomit and bird s**t soup!

I just want to register an opinion that You guys are a bit on the sick side. Where I come from we eat some weird stuff, but nothing like what You described here.

------------------
I don't suffer from insanity ... I enjoy every moment of it

Well then Caveman, get with the program dude. Eat something really disgusting!
smile.gif

"The Swamp Thing"? I kinda like that, Tom.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com

The chinese have something called Millenium Eggs or something to that effect.
Basically, they're marinated eggs that have been stored underground for several years.
They're black with a greenish center if I recall correctly and are supposed to taste somewhat like Caviar. Supposedly...I am no rush to find out myself.
The swallows nest soup almost sounds good after that... Then there's the French. Camembert cheese is considered a real delicacy when it's been buried in the ground for a couple of months. When it's ready to eat, it's almost liquid and often crawling with maggots... Bon appetit, messieurs

------------------
Regards
Joshua "Kage" Calvert

"Move like Water, strike like Thunder..."

Awww.... That's nothing. Why, several times a week I wake up and chow down on the undeveloped embryos of a domisticated fowl and strips of flesh cut from the belly of a rooting hoofed animal.

biggrin.gif

Josh, my wife was in Taiwan this week and had the "pleasure" of sampling one of those "thousand year old eggs". Since it was an honor to be served one by her host, she felt compelled to gag it down, but she admitted it wasn't the fun part of the trip. The jellyfish wasn't a whole lot better, she said.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com

I don't know... One person's pleasure is another's poison, I guess.

"Thousand year old duck eggs" in rice porridge. Mmmmmm.
smile.gif
Bird's nest soup, yummm... If it weren't for the fact the nests are being overharvested and threatening the extinction of the bird... And, jelly fish strips with a sprinkling of sesame is a great appetizer. Thank goodness there's still plenty of those critters around.

Now, gator meat... Somebody told me it taste like chicken... BAD CHICKEN.
frown.gif

sing

AKTI #A000356

ah yes...eggs that have been soaked in some God forsaken sauce....balute in the Philipines...a delicacy enjoyed by all...they have about 10 or 12 different varieties....from short to long soaks, different stuff they soak it in....freshly hatched eggs to ones that are about to hatch (with feathers even)......thanks...but no thanks...when offered food that looks questionable (Ive been here for almost 30 years) I always say...Im a haole...I eat at macdonalds.....always gets a smile and gets me out of eating that disgusting stuff...

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com

[This message has been edited by tom mayo (edited 06-23-2000).]

You guys think this is sick, do you realize that what gives hamburger that nice red color? Kidneys anyone. How about hotdogs anything that you wouldn't buy if you saw it before it was ground up, and since its cooked anyway, whatever hits the floor.

Bon Apetit!

Sing, you're absolutely right, but some of these culinary biases are instilled in us very early in life. There are a lot of things that I would never have imagined ever liking, like kidneys (yes kidneys, mike), which I have learned to like very much, but that first bite can be pretty challenging simply because we are taught what we should eat. My wife's reaction to the thousand year old egg was that it was VERY salty. That overwhelmed any other flavor, leaving her with a negative opinion due to her not liking things that are too salty. If the jellyfish strips are covered with sesame seeds, then she didn't like it because she doesn't like sesame seeds. So her reaction was not to the cuisine per se but to certain ingredients which she had previously not liked.

Steak and Kidney Pie in England and Rognons (kidneys) in Mustard Sauce in France are two of my favorite dishes, but you could never sell those in the restaurants where I was raised in the midwest. That said, lots of midwesterners like head cheese. YUCK! My mother liked veal brains and scrambled eggs. MAJOR YUCK!

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com

Jerry, you are absolutely right about the cultural bias. An artist from another country once told me how good dog was but almost barfed when I told him about eating squirrel, nasty tree rats he called them!

To top it all off, there must be people who actually eat those awful looking pink pig feet that have been sliced in half and are foating in those mongo pickle jars! Yuck! Give me some fried squid anyday!-Guy Thomas

Back