Bear Grylls Ultimate PRO Survival Knife

Well he did make a behind the scenes, where they showed him wearing a safety harness and wire while climbing down a waterfall.
Not a bad idea if you ask me

Pharaoh... Go back and re-read my post...

I have no need for the Gerber BG. This was my pocket knife and jump knife that I carried the majority of my career.

knives.jpg

On the subject of knives, the folder is a Tom Anderson Sandpiper with a titanium frame, maroon linen micarta handles and a BG-42 blade. I bought the knife directly from Tom at the SouthEastern Custom Knife in Winston-Salem. The fixed blade is a Bill Maynard "Dan Pitzer S.E.R.E" model in 440C with black canvas micarta handles that I ordered from him almost 20 years ago.

tobii3,

That Maynard/Pitzer SERE is an awesome knife! You just don't see many of them around. I happen to have one myself. I know this will be getting a bit off topic, but can you go into some detail on how the knife performed for you? I have heard some pretty cool stories about Bill's knives, mostly from Bill himself.

BTW- Thank you for your service.

Here is an older picture of mine. Since this picture, it went on a trip to Nebraska and into the hands of custom knifemaker, Bryan Breeden for some testing and eval. Bryan put his amazing convex edge on it.

IMG_6478.jpg

Last edited:
I think that in many ways the BG series is a perfect "gateway drug" for a lot of laypersons. They provide examples from most of the major knife categories that are appealing to the common man but are much better than the usual Winchester/Fury/MTech fare that I so commonly see while staying within the reach of that crowd.

Great point. This new knife does look better and will probably perform well.
I like that they went full tang and that the package includes the v-sharpener and the firestick.
What's the street price gonna be ???

AND.........in regards to Bear Grylls .....my sons like the show, and watching Bear be animated and excited about the outdoors , get's them excited about goofing off in the outdoors also.
There is very little on TV that is family freindly, SO it's not all bad.

Last edited:
Seriously asking that question? Medic or medical crew nearby . . . Those are safety nets, not in the literal, but figurative.

And since you asked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_vs._Wild

NOW, next time you type something, hold yourself to the same standard and have BACK UP to your statement

How insulting. Calling me liar?! I take the very seriously. I am NOT Obama. I guess Kiwi's lack class. . . .

I already backed up my statement with facts, if you care to re-read my post.

I did not call anyone a liar, you must be paranoid.

Way to go, insult the British, now Kiwis....classy

Asking someone for verification is not the same as saying they are lying.

Deep breaths folks, switch to decaf and let's all have fun here. :)

dc2005 and Jaytaylor

Stay on topic or don't post....easy instructions to follow.

I'm never going to want to own one. I do remember saying of the old Bear Grylls Ultimate that as a “survival knife” it had a niche stowed away like “survival fire extinguishers”. If I came across one when I needed one then splendid. That it's not optimal for my utility knife preferences isn't important to me. I have a preference as to the type of whistle I carry but if I didn't have mine I can't imagine bitchin' about the basic little orange thing I found in a life jacket. That said, I do regard survival knives as emergency tools only. To me it is that which defines them. To me a survival knife is part of a kit that I hope to never need to use just like a smoke hood, escape ladder, or vial of amyl nitrate. I think I could make the knife offering we are considering here work well in that capacity..............That said, I'm sure plenty of people wont use it like that and will use it as their primary utility knife. Nothing wrong with that if it performs everything they need it to. I know I use a £20 Faithful ax that would be right at home in an aviation survival kit quite merrily in preference to one of the vanity named axes. I've simply never encountered the type of wood it won't work on just as well. Similarly, this Gerber will probably do everything a lot of people would ever want a knife to do. Apparently, that Grylls Ultimate was the best selling knife of 2011, globally. Not only does that tell us that Gerber is clearly doing something right, but also serves as a cautionary reminder amongst all this knife stuff of exactly who the minority knife users are. Mebe even works to prevent elitists getting carried away with the head-up-own-jacksy-syndrome, but that could be stretching its capabilities a bit far.

....I know this will be getting a bit off topic, but can you go into some detail on how the knife performed for you?

The laundry list is truly obscene and would be grossly off-topic...it has performed beyond all expectations throughout decades of use in Airborne, Water, Desert and Jungle environments...and the "occasional" deployment...:D

If you can find one of his neck knives I highly recommend it as well.

Okay, back on topic...

.....my sons like the show, and watching Bear be animated and excited about the outdoors , get's them excited about goofing off in the outdoors as well...

I do believe that is the exact market Gerber is aiming for with this knife, Angus!!

I don't think I'd ever own one but I will give Bear some credit and hope that his show has opened up the world/outdoors to some of the "sit on my butt and play video games all day" generation. Hopefully, a few kids said, "I'd like to try camping, hiking, etc". If people are buying the knife and/or survival kit, at least they are learning that going into the woods requires preparation and the necessary tools to survive.

The bad news is that some of these kids might try some of his dumb stunts in woods. Too many Jackass wanna be's with a camera and youtube accnt nowadays.

Kids do indeed love watching Bear Grylls. No doubt Ray Mears knows more but try getting the average kid to watch that, no really likely unless they are already an avid fan of the outdoors.
They would most likely find Les pretty boring and whiny too. (no offence to either, find both of them fellows fantastc to watch, really)
I just worry that Bear's antics may end up getting some kid hurt someday, if it hasn't happened already. Monkey see, monkey do.

Kids do indeed love watching Bear Grylls. No doubt Ray Mears knows more but try getting the average kid to watch that, no really likely unless they are already an avid fan of the outdoors.
They would most likely find Les pretty boring and whiny too. (no offence to either, find both of them fellows fantastc to watch, really)
I just worry that Bear's antics may end up getting some kid hurt someday, if it hasn't happened already. Monkey see, monkey do.

Yip. I'm sure that disclamers are the only thing stopping Grylls from being sued for 13 year old Johnny and his buddy jumping off cliffs into shallow pools. Or eating s..t and rancid meat etc. The guy is the shock jock of the survival media community analogous to Howard Stearn. He's intelligent and knows that he stirs the pot, and he's laughing all the way to the bank with it. These endless dog chasing tail threads about Grylls are the evidence. I have no desire for the knife and less so with the endorsement. The real deal like ESEE etc. is around so I'll pass on this offering.

I look back about 5 or 6 years ago when my oldest daughter's boyfriend first started hanging around.
He thought spending $20 on a knife was spending a lot.
His father never did much with him, and nothing knife or outdoor related
What little he knew about knives he learned from the junk store he bought them at and by playing around in some of the local green space
If this line of knives can help introduce people to knives I am all for it

It looks to be much improved over the first one, and much better than a lot of other knives in the price range. Like others have said, if it gets people excited about getting out into the woods, it's a good thing. I have the previous version, and it's not a bad knife at all. I have seen much more expensive knives that are much less functional for sure.

I have the fine-blade BG Ultimate (not the Pro), and an LMF II. I got both before I really started to figure out what I want in a knife, and though I think the BG is a good package, I think the LMF is a better knife overall. I know that the first generation had problems, but I don't think that either of my Gerbers are bad knives at all.

I'd trade 'em both for a Woodlore, though.

One thing I actually like about the BG is the whacked-out colour scheme. Easy to find when dropped in the bush. The diamond plate sharpener is a crap choice for those of us who aren't sharpening pros, though.

I have zero interest in the new Pro, simply because I'm trying to save up my $ for a nice Woodlore style knife.

Last edited:
Sheesh. So I just recently joined the forum. I was reading through this thread because my nephew made some noises about maybe wanting one of the Bear Grylls knives, and I was looking for some info. It doesn't look like a bad knife for a beginner, but after reading some of the earlier posts, I'm worried some people might start throwing rocks at him if he ever carries one outside. :rolleyes:

I got the new "Pro" version this weekend, the changes are nice, it's not a bad knife at all. If they released it in a plain "No celebrity name" version, I'd suspect it would go over better with some.

At the end of the day, tell him to carry what he wants, and other peoples opinions should be like water off a duck's back. :)

Sheesh. So I just recently joined the forum. I was reading through this thread because my nephew made some noises about maybe wanting one of the Bear Grylls knives, and I was looking for some info. It doesn't look like a bad knife for a beginner, but after reading some of the earlier posts, I'm worried some people might start throwing rocks at him if he ever carries one outside. :rolleyes:

It only bothers me when people don't have a knife. They are the people who will bitch about me having one.

Back