Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

Got the big'n marked, scaled, and sharpened tonight (picture before edge).
This is my favorite Kephart configuration, of all the ones I've made and handled.
At some point I'll bust into that stick of Magnacut I got from the first batch, but that might have to wait 'til summer.

IMG_20220411_205429-small.jpg

And it's done!

Nice work! I know that fits your big ol mitts way better.

Same here, but preview shows them to me and I've validated the URL.
Hmm.

ETA:
I think it has to do with BF's caching/hashed proxy. It cashed a broken link icon off the bat and won't fix it.

ETA:
Yeah, totally. I renamed the file on the image server (added "_2") and edited my message w/ the new URL and it's fine. Stupid "smart" caching proxy.

Last edited:
Yep, nice work.
Must he alot of hammerin from a coil to this thin shovel

Not a small amount, but it would be a LOT less for an experienced forger!
I often make trouble for myself by trying to be too efficient with materials. A tiny 1.5" long bit of spring is really hard to hold onto with tongs while also hammering with a 2.5lb smacker.

Not a small amount, but it would be a LOT less for an experienced forger!
I often make trouble for myself by trying to be too efficient with materials. A tiny 1.5" long bit of spring is really hard to hold onto with tongs while also hammering with a 2.5lb smacker.
You could take some of that spring, upset the ends a bit bigger, drift an eye into it, and make a set of smaller hammers?

You could take some of that spring, upset the ends a bit bigger, drift an eye into it, and make a set of smaller hammers?
🤯

That's a great idea... I do have some 1" coil spring. It's HUGE (I may have posted a picture of it in my truck last summer). It could make a small cross-peen...

Turns out it's hard to make a hand-hammer with a hand-hammer. I have a rudder bearing I tried (several times) to beat into a hammer head, and it's only about 1-1.5lb. No dice. Of course it's the wrong material - waaaay too much carbon. Very hard to move.

Decided to play with one of my BK16. I wasted a ton of time doing stupid things with hand tools that made no sense. I also wasted a ton of time trying to force a patina, but it never colored evenly, and I ended up just polishing it again.

Fn4EILo.jpg

8p2xPBU.jpg

gbl0qjf.jpg

Back