Beckerhead's Other Choppers

Differential hardened forged 5160 JEST w/black garolite scales done up to look like horn

I apparently took no pictures at the gathering last October in which this beast cleaved straight through a piece of wood like it was a quantum string parting the space-time continuum. Someone has that picture, and it is very impressive.

I HAVE to have one. Anyone know if he will make more?

The "patrol matchaxe" as it came to be called was just a fun kinda research project. I dont want to upset anybody or start a debate, but I've never cared for the offset handle of the the BK4. I was having a conversation with Ethan and I joked with him that I would buy one but e eryone I found had a bent handle. Thus made me think, what if one was straightened out? So I made three of them just as exact to the 4 as I could but straightened out. Took them to the Beckerhead gathering for everyone to play with. I thought I did great. It was/is light and chopped pretty well. Of the three, I gave one to Ethan, Murph and Jerry took the other two home. I have had other people ask about them so I thought I may do a limited run of 10 total pieces, but I don't have any interest in doing more than that. I dont want to step on Ethans or Kabars toes. so that means id make 7 more. I know my son wants one, I'd probably keep one, a couple other people are on the list if I ever do it. Who knows. If I ever have the time I'd be game.

Post up my most recent antique store find, Collins & Co Legitimus Juan Bimba 1247 Machete made in the USA. Put a decent edge on it to see if it was worth reworking completely and this thing blew me away, it's a very good chopper.

With the 9 and a neato Imacasa Bowie/Machete.

Kinda looks like a big butter knife. Maybe Warrior could butter his toast with it or something ;)

Is that handle comfortable? I've thought about getting one of these on more than one occasion.

For how simple the handle is, it is plenty comfortable. Remember it is designed to be used in both directions so it had to have a simple handle to make it feel right both ways.

Not sure if you have seen this or not, maybe it will help answer some questions.

[video=youtube;AIlojW7iZ50]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIlojW7iZ50[/video]

Jeremy

I keep meaning to throw on a few pics of these two antique early 1900s engineers bolos that I got from my wife's grandfather before he passed away.
They're genuine Collins, and one I've shined up a bit and put a rude edge on it, the other needs re-handled, and I've left alone.

The Junglas is a great chopper. I keep mine in the Jeep for trail clearing or general purpose things.

Yup... I still need one of each of these. Might have to get the gawdawful-green junglas though.

Oh.... And I still need to get in on the M18 bandwagon.

Yup... I still need one of each of these. Might have to get the gawdawful-green junglas though.

Oh.... And I still need to get in on the M18 bandwagon.

The Venom Green is not really that gawdawful....especially if it comes with orange G-10!

16888076221_fe46a2d8b8_b.jpg

That TOPS Machete .230 is pretty beastly, too.

Missing a couple Condors, Baryonyx machete, ASH-2, ChopHouses, and a bucket full of Tramotina and Imacasas. Not my most used knives but still some of my favorites.

393b4e1105f68d3c0f0d7021b14e24fe.jpg

Yeah, that pic really puts it into perspective.
Holy cow! I had no idea it was that big!
Metal Beaver indeed.
I have one of these and I will bring it to the Beckerhead Gathering in a couple weeks :) Its big for sure! Very usable and versatile though:)

Khukuri's, lots and lots of khukuri's. Currently have five at the moment and looking for number six. The only knife I've seen that can dethrone the 9 in anything is a good khukuri in chopping. Their are probably others but way above the price you could get a 9 or decent khuk for.

Ok I think it's well established that our favorite choppers are the bk4 bk9 and bk21.

I'm just curious what other big blades the beckerheads use as well.

There are certainly more expensive choppers out there for what I feel are of less value than a becker.

My short list right now is:

T.M. Hunt M18
L.T. Wright Competition chopper
TOPS SXB (M18 inspired)

Ive been wanting a m18 for so long now. I know there is at least one other beckerhead who has one (probably more).

Might be some good news for you or anyone else that has considered a M-18. :)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...l-hitting-the-dealers?p=15915148#post15915148

I've not had a chance to use this one...my daughter inherited it from her grandfather on my wife's side. The story goes that he was issued it in WWII but the war ended before he deployed. Then ha carried it to Korea where it saw a fare amount of use. She is so proud of this and had a ball showing it around at the 2015 spring gathering then again at Blade in June. I can't pry it from her hands to see any woods time lol.

It's a Village Blacksmith USMC Corpsmen machete...

Thanks Mistwalker for this great pic from the gathering!

Can't forget Pradip's (gurkhaknives on BF) bonecutters:
They are Not Light but as a tool around the homestead they're somethin' else

Back