Behold, the 2023 BladeForums Traditional Forum Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jiki Jiki I know you were not referencing the Norfolk with the quote, the connexion I made was due to many of us initially assuming the 34 to be a Norfolk, it is not as it's not Swayback framed.

I'm away from my books for a couple of days but I believe the reference is given: Levine 1985: p.128

As for 'small' he states 3"

Whatever it will be called, it's a worthy addition to the Forum Knife stable, on that we will surely concur.

Regards, Will

Looking very good sir!
G2

Hi guys, I’ve never tried to buy a forum knife so I have a couple of questions I hope some of you can answer. I’m located in Denmark, Europe and all the different posts regarding where to buy had me a bit confused.

1. If the requirements for being allowed to purchase a knife are met. How will the seller know that?

2. Do I just buy the knife when it appears in the online shop (Tools for Gents in Germany) as any other GEC?

3. Do I have to be on some kind of secret list in this Forum?

These are serious questions I haven’t found any answers for, so please if anyone can help a guy out it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Best regards
Jones

These questions have been asked literally hundreds of times over the past decade or so. If you wanted you could look over last years threads for the 2022 forum knife since that was also sold through Spark. Since you are a gold member with more than 25 posts on this subforum, and have been a member for several years, you meet the requirements.

1) The seller will know because the seller is Spark, the owner of Bladeforums

2) You will have to pay attention for when the ordering thread/link gets posted (and keep an eye out for specific European ordering instructions). If it is like last year, you will be able to access the ordering link from Bladeforums.

3) You are here, you are on the list (there is no secret list, you just have to pay attention and order when the knife is ready to order).

The key thing to remember is that all of the confusing posts about where to buy are from people who don't want to read the instructions to find out the answers for themselves. Just read what Spark posts, and you should be fine. Everyone else (including me) is not Spark, and therefore not the authority when it comes to the 2023 Traditional Subforum Knife.

Nice choice, thanks Spark for putting it together.

Great looking knife!!

I believe a real Norfolk knife has different size bolsters with the smaller one being on the pen blade side. A congress has a more or less arched front edge.

I like Case's description; humpback, keeps it simple. Maybe humpback jack?

Eric

This would be my first forum knife if i can get one (99% sure i meet requirements), and probably one of the GEC's I'm most excited about thus far in my traditional knife journey.

Is there a specific reason to have the swell on the back side of these designs? I can't help but think the knife would feel better in hand if the swell was on the side your fingers land on (in a standard grip).

Is it more of a carving type grip that was the intention, so your fingers land on the swelled side?

Last edited:
s it more of a carving type grip that was the intention? So your fingers land on the swelled side?
I could make guesses all day. Some patterns like the 93 lend themself well to that pairing pull cut type grip, and this might be one of them. it also might aid in getting the center pin more outside the blade well. it may provide more space for partially sunken joints.

at the end of the day, however, variety is how one separates one product from the next. aesthetics could be the only real reason.

Is there a specific reason to have the swell on the back side of these designs? I can't help but think the knife would feel better in hand if the swell was on the side your fingers land on (in a standard grip).

Is it more of a carving type grip that was the intention, so your fingers land on the swelled side?

On a straight backed knife the spring has a pronounced hump on the inside of the knife to accommodate the center pin. The "swell" allows the center pin to be dropped down so that you don't have that hump on the inside, which gives you more room for a wider blade, or more varied blade combinations.

Eric

On a straight backed knife the spring has a pronounced hump on the inside of the knife to accommodate the center pin. The "swell" allows the center pin to be dropped down so that you don't have that hump on the inside, which gives you more room for a wider blade, or more varied blade combinations.

Eric
Thx ea and EngrSorenson EngrSorenson for the reply. Makes sense now looking at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back