Benchmade and Deep carry pocket clips?

My guess, is that not every designer likes a deep carry clip for their specific design. Another guess would be that not everyone likes deep carry clips, some people like to have some knife protruding from the pocket and have something to grab onto, rather than having to dig through a pocket.

This - I like to pinch-grab the upper pocket clip screws when pulling my Benchmade out of my pocket.

Luc +1, The retention on some of the deep carry clips is bad. I've had a knife almost fall out of my pocket and get snagged on seatbelts getting out of the car.

Luc +1, The retention on some of the deep carry clips is bad. I've had a knife almost fall out of my pocket and get snagged on seatbelts getting out of the car.

yes - and on smaller knives that don't have a whole lot of traction, there's more chances of dropping them.

I have a deep carry clip on my 707 and it's probably my most dropped knife. It often slips out of my fingers while taking it out of my pocket.

BM allows for 10 free clips of any kind, per customer, per year.
Don't e mail, call them. You can then tell the rep which clip you'd like for each knife.
The deep carry clips are nice, but they are notoriously loose. Before putting them on, I give them a little squeeze with a pair of pliers.......put some electrical tape on the clip first so not to scratch it.
Best customer service by far!!
I usually deal with Micah and she couldn't be more pleasant or helpful!
Joe

Doesn't really matter as BM will send you either type for free. I prefer the deep carry but only after it is tightened way up.

For me, I worry about the public reaction to a knife. Where I grew up, and where I am now it is a very non-knife friendly place. So, I don't wish to make others feel un-comfortable if I have a knife in my pocket, at least as much as possible. It is less likely to be spotted IMO if it is deep carry. That is my personal feelings/thoughts on the matter, not saying it is better for worse for pulling out of the pockets.

Because most of their knives are better with the normal clip.

That's often the case. If it's so deeply carried it's a PITA to try to get it out of the pocket. Especially if the pocket is tight to begin with. I could never tolerate a clip like the one pictured in MemphisR32's post below. But some deep carry clips allow just enough knife to peek out of the pocket to make easy retrieval possible--the Axis Strykers come to mind...one of my favorite models.

For me, I worry about the public reaction to a knife. Where I grew up, and where I am now it is a very non-knife friendly place. So, I don't wish to make others feel un-comfortable if I have a knife in my pocket, at least as much as possible. It is less likely to be spotted IMO if it is deep carry. That is my personal feelings/thoughts on the matter, not saying it is better for worse for pulling out of the pockets.

These days, everyone knows the presence of a clip means there's a knife in the pocket. 'Specially when the clip has a butterfly or spider on it.

I sent them an email about a week ago regarding a deep carry for my 551 as well - I'm sure they are a bit backed up on the email chain. Just for giggles I'll call 'em up in a half hour and see how that goes, for I need to ask someone who actually works there if they have butterfly decals for car windows.
They take awhile but they send every accessory you could want as long as you give a good idea of your collection.

Which makes them perfect for the 520 and 527 Presidio, to save your clothing.

These days, everyone knows the presence of a clip means there's a knife in the pocket. 'Specially when the clip has a butterfly or spider on it.

Well, I would disagree with that in my area at least. Not once have I noticed someone noticing my clip. I carry a knife, pen, and light all day everyday clipped (where legal) and have not had one comment. 99.9% people wouldn't know what the spyder or the butterfly meant. I can go months without noticing a clip on other people, and I look. Many folks don't carry a knife at least not clipped. Most people these days just aren't very perceptive.

Excellent service by Benchmade.
For non-Benchmade knives, I have a "Pops Custom Knife Clip" on my spyderco tenacious which is a grippy deep carry clip. He is on Etsy.

Most people can't get their heads out of their phones long enough to notice that you have a clip on your pocket.

I can related and completely understand. It can be awkward, but luckily where I live people don't much bat an eye when they see something like that. Most folks don't make it a habit or staring or looking at a pocket for long.

Which makes them perfect for the 520 and 527 Presidio, to save your clothing.

I can adjust the tension on any clip with pliers, so the clothing/pocket shredding isn't as bad an issue for me. I'd much rather adjust the clip than sand down G10. I've had several knives with G10 sharp enough to destroy a pocket in a matter of days, but slightly less tension does prevent that. You;re right though, the nature of the deep carry clips would be beneficial in that area.

Last edited:
I just called their customer service asking about buying some and they responded by telling me that they were shipping off 2 clips for me. One for my AFO 2 and the other for my griptillian

I just picked up a Nakumura 484-1 folder. Same 3 hole pattern?

Thanks in advance!

I can confirm that BM will send customers the deep carry clip for free!

I just called them and they didn't even ask for a proof of purchase or anything.
I just explained to the rep over the phone that after seeing deep carry clips on the internet I wanted to upgrade a recent Cabela's purchase and that was that. So easy. I gave her model number and finish type I wanted for the clip and that was that.

The service rep was really helpful and showed a clear interest in the BM product which was comforting to know that they were outsourcing their tech support.

A lot depends on personal likes and dislikes. The Lum 745 is (was) a great example: well made, amazing S30V blade, yet the deep pocket clip left me wanting something with more texture for better grip in the pocket. BKC then came along with the 746 with a Very 'Lum-like' pocket clip that worked much better. And still there were complaints. Problem was the clip on the 741/746 didn't match the hole layout from other models, but the clip was more true to it's original custom design. Oh well, go figure. ;)

I want to say thanks to bench made for my two deep pocket clips. after reading this forum, I called to order clips for my mini grip and striker. they arrived today, excellent.

Back