Best "budget" knife to leave in my truck!

I kept a cold steel leatherneck in my truck through a Miami Summer. It was fine. I had a milwaukee ducting knife in my truck for 4 or 5 years and it doesnt have any rust.

I'm in the same boat: I'm always carrying a knife, so the knives in my truck are 1) backups in case I forget the one in my pocket/something goes wrong, and 2) different from what I normally carry.

I went with two serrated Spyderco Salt knives, a Salt 2 and a Ladybug Salt hawkbill. The Ladybug lives in the center console for tiny jobs, and the Salt 2 lives in the glove box. Zero concerns about rust, and serrated edges for different sorts of jobs than the plain-edge knife in my pocket.

Wow, this thread is interesting, mainly because of some of the replies and aspiring comedians.

Anyway, I keep a cheap Kershaw folder in my console and it works fine. If it gets lost or stolen no biggie.

Not nearly enough information was given to allow for a valid suggestion.....

That won't stop most of us! This is the internet, where everybody is wrong, and free advice is still worth exactly what you paid for it!

Speaking of wrong opinions and advice that's worth what you pay for it....

The way I handle these threads is to try and toss out 3 to 5 suggestions, usually based on price.

There are certain qualities I think of when somebody says "truck knife". To me, the phrase implies:

They already have most of their other cutting needs covered, so the truck knife is the implement that gets used when something unexpected happens.

It may spend years in a box or a sheath.

It may get lost or stolen from the truck.

The "truck knife" should be plenty sturdy. It may get used as a hammer, shovel, prybar, and whatever else we all know we shouldn't do with a knife.

It should be either stainless or coated, because I can't tell from way across the internet, how much TLC this knife is going to get. It may rattle around in the bottom of a bed box for years.

It should have a good sheath. It may need to venture out away from the truck with you, for a good distance, in bad weather.

At the same time, it can't be too expensive, because there is a real possibility that all the care and precaution in the world will still not bring it back to the truck at the end of the adventure: sometimes, it's a choice between you, and the tool.

I tend to agree...

the best low cost truck knife imho is a mora - take your pick of whichever one you like
most of them are under $20

mora companion is what I have - I've used the spine to pry, no problem

Orlando, FL, fixed blade? Sounds to me you need a smaller Latin style machete. It'll fit in the truck and help if you run into an angry gator, wild hog, or coke head :)

Since it's unlikely to receive much (if any at all) use, any fixed blade of a length the OP prefers, made from a premium stainless steel, with a price of under $150 will work.

My truck fixed knife is an Ontario OKC3S bayonet in a scabbard. If the oil evaporates from the blade and it gets some rust, then it gets some rust. It's a bayonet, not a work of art. A Spyderco Endura, Silky saw, Schrade hatchet, and an entrenching tool keep it company.

In my truck I always have a RAT Cutlery (ESEE) 6, machete, SAK which rarely gets used and a piece of crap fixed blade for digging in the dirt.

I know this is a pretty extensive list and not all "budget" knives but gives ya some ideas
Leatherman/multi tool of some sort (I have a wave)
BM Sibert Bushcrafter
smaller CRKT tail lock folder of which model I forget
County Comm Maratac extreme-glow with extra batteries
Petzl tikka headlamp with extra batteries
Cheap no name hatcet
and a couple bic lighters
Not much that this combo can't handle

Got a Gerber Strongarm in a 2001 Chevy. Been there since '14-'15. Probably cuz it was forged in the fires of Mordor w/ the blade comprised of unicorn farts & leprechaun tears.

Back