Best "budget" knife to leave in my truck!

I didn’t read thru this all, but while I don’t like the idea of leaving my knives in our vehicles (mine are limited to SAKs).

If you really felt like that wouldn’t be adequate, you could throw a mora or buck (fixed), an endura or delica (if silly blade length laws apply), and a victorinox or leatherman. Crumple them up in a greasy McDonalds bag, and put them either under your seat or on the floorboard.
Surely thieves aren’t gonna go thru the garbage on your floor in search of treasures.
Just my .02

Varies, but a beater PM2 and a Mora are always in my truck. PM2 has been a nice backup when I carry a smaller knife to the office and go somewhere straight after work that might require something bigger. Mora Companion is just such a great knife for $10, there should be one in every car and every room of the house just in case :)

Mora fixed blade is in my truck. Like 12 bucks. I think it's the Companion or something like that.

I always have at least one of my EDC folders on me. I've got Spyderco, BM and ZT among others. For fixed blades I tend to collect semi-customs like Half Face, Toor, etc. At the moment though, I'd really like to have a fixed blade knife that I can leave in my truck all of the time. The trouble is, I don't want to leave any of my good knives in the truck, as all of those are hard to replace (not just $$, but they're always sold out). I live in the Orlando area, so it would have to be something with decent corrosion resistance, and I'd like to have a good quality steel (3v, 30v, 35vn, etc.). Is there anything out there in the $100 to $150 range that I can leave in the truck, and if it gets stolen, can be easily replaced?

Thanks
i personally just keep a cheap multitool in my vehicle but if you want a dedicated knife opinel makes some decent folders a #10 would probably be great.

I keep a 4” custom fixed blade in the center console of my truck, which also happens to be my main camping/hiking knife. But in the bed there’s also an old 28” axe, and an old Gerber BG Ultimate in the tool bag. (as well as a few folders, razor knives, and multi tools, stashed in tool bags, glove box, etc.)

Yeah, the BG gets a bad rep, but I’ve never had an issue with mine in the ~10 years I’ve owned and abused it. Those goofy orange accents actually make it real easy to find if you drop it in the weeds. I can pry with it reasonably well if I need (though I do carry an 18” prybar). I can sharpen it on a rock if it comes down to it. And at $45, if I lose or break it, it’s just not that big a deal. Knowing a bit more about knives today than when I bought it, I’d probably opt for something else, but I gotta say, that old Gerber has served me well.

What would I chose for a truck knife today? I’d probably to finding a Becker Tac Tool. Looks like a pretty versatile tool that will take a lot of abuse. Cut, pry, bash, chop, dig, and generally beat the heck out of it. Between that, the axe, and a folder or MT, would serve all my ‘knife needs’ in the truck.

KABK3nw.jpg

You definitely need an ESEE Junglas to fend off all the Jimmy Buffet concertgoers and wild boars.
img-esee-junglas-09.jpg

(Serious note - I keep my ESEE 6 in my car's emergency kit as it's not overly expensive, it's versatile, and its completely replaceable. The exposed part of the edge is coated in Eezox and it can be stored in high humidity without concerns of rust despite being 1095.)

Why go budget when you’ll be looking for something else sooner than later? To me budget = nothing other than ESEE, but I’d still set my sights on a Carothers or Survive!.

LOL. It's a 2020 Silverado 1500 LT. Not the most expensive model, but definitely not the cheapest. Not sure why that matters though?

I asses your lost.
So with that truck you can easily left most expensive Gonzo
or cheapest Sebenza.

This theory works! Mine is an old gmt400 and cheapest plastic handled Mora lives in drivers side side pocket

Considering I usually carry two SAKs and a folder, I am very rarely without some sort of cutting utensil. However, for that rare occasion, I have a cheap-cheap-cheap-throw away-SOG Fielder in the consol. Never needed to use it yet.

oops, missed the FB part, please disregard...

Last edited:
That exactly covers the original reason for the post!! BTW, I went with a Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner. It' a discontinued model that BladeHQ still has in stock and it was $110 instead of $165. Decent price. Also, one of the things I didn't cover in my original post was that I am "first to call" for a local PD friend of mine if he has to put a dear down on duty. One of the myriad of reasons the knife needs to be kept in the truck.

Yeah, some of us ain't good at the readin'.....

Thank you for telling us what you bought! It's refreshing, since most of these threads, the OP never chimes in after starting it. I guess most people just like to sit back and watch the show?

I’d throw a Buck 119 in it and call it good. It’s worked for me for years. They have an S30V version if you prefer upgraded steel.

Buck 117 from Copper and Clad, I got one in 5160 but I think I it also comes in the regular 420H or maybe S30V. Sorry I missed what you got before posting. Enjoy and tell us later how it works out.

Last edited:
Although I don’t own one, I’ve heard good things about Bradford Knives. You have options in steels and scale materials.
The scales screw on so no worries about heat messing up anything.
They are a production knife so easily replaceable.

I've had lots of Bradfords...even their folder. Great (and cheap) leather crossdraw sheaths are included.
Had them in three or more steels...carried one for about two yrs. There is no problem with this brand.

I keep a Mora in the console and a Case stockman in the cupholder. There's a Buck 110LT in there somewhere along with screwdrivers, channel locks, drill bits, a leatherman that I found in the street, a mini fire axe that has never been used for anything...the list goes on. It's all right there with the cable ties and duct tape and the one extra joist hanger that's been under the seat for three years now.

I keep a Condor mini bushlore and an Ontario machete in my car. Found the machete on the road.

I keep a Condor mini bushlore and an Ontario machete in my car. Found the machete on the road.

Now that was scary....maybe it fell off someone's trailer that does yard work or landscaping. I hope his name was not Jason!!! Can you imagine if he had it scratched or etched in the machete!!! :rolleyes:

What kind of fixed blade would I leave permanently in my truck? Many choose something along the line of the BK-9. I think the SOG Seal Pup Elite fills this role very well. Mine is old, but I may just stash it in my truck to be there if I need it as I don't use it any more anyway. I keep a machete in there now all the time. The good thing about the Seal Pup Elite is "I don't care" if I hurt it. Another possible would be a Cold Steel product.

A fitting place for just about every Ontario machete I have owned.... I may just leave mine along the highway just to get rid of it. Some kid may find it and think they struck gold. Makes me smile at the thought.

I ve kept an Endura with a partially serrated blade in my vehicle for the last 10 years.. I ve never had to use it. If I were going to choose something new to put in today, I d choose a Cold Steel 4 inch Voyager.

Back