Best fixed blade for EDC?

I'm currently carrying 3V Mini Pendleton and I love it (sheath was rubbish tho, so I got a custom one).

Friend of mine just got Viper Berus 1 in M390, and he's just blown away by it. Fit and finish, performance, materials and build quality... all just spot on.

But this made me think... can it get much better than these?

So, I looked some knives up, and saw that these would also fit the bill pretty nicely (depending on your needs):
Brisa Necker 70
Lion Steel M1
ESEE Izula (if you're into outdoors stuff)

As I'm still confused, I figured out it comes down a lot to your needs.
So, what would be the best compact fixed blade to suit your needs?

I'd like to hear about more knives, as I'm really into compact fixed blades at the moment :D

I've been sporting a Fiddleback Monarch for a couple of weeks, and I dunno if I can go back to anything else. A tick under 3.75" in blade, thin stock, filling handle. Robust but light enough that it rides on my belt off hand (left hand back draw, edge up) that it is there when I need it. Looks incredible, cuts even better, made by a really nice guy/group of folks. It's funny. It's a fixed blade. Rides like a fixed blade. Looks like a fixed blade. However, the overall length is less than a Microtech Ultratech which most wouldn't consider a huge knife. The Monarch just has such an impressive wide blade with a keen point. All of Andy's designs are thought out really well, though.

I've been sporting a Fiddleback Monarch for a couple of weeks, and I dunno if I can go back to anything else. A tick under 3.75" in blade, thin stock, filling handle. Robust but light enough that it rides on my belt off hand (left hand back draw, edge up) that it is there when I need it. Looks incredible, cuts even better, made by a really nice guy/group of folks. It's funny. It's a fixed blade. Rides like a fixed blade. Looks like a fixed blade. However, the overall length is less than a Microtech Ultratech which most wouldn't consider a huge knife. The Monarch just has such an impressive wide blade with a keen point. All of Andy's designs are thought out really well, though.

I’ll second the Fiddleback Forge Monarch. It’s as big as I would be willing to EDC. Crazy comfortable and shockingly easy to conceal.

I’ll also nominate its smaller brother, the Esquire. It has been my most carried knife over the past year.

I carry a Brisa Necker 70 with a flat grind. The original sheath was such rubbish that my home-made kydex pocket sheath is an improvement. My next endeavor is to turn to a professional to make a proper sheath.

These two work pretty damn good for me. Big enough to use, but small enough to carry.

E634739-F-38-B6-4910-9351-026-C76-D3-CDD0.jpg

3-F8-EACBC-7-BD5-4256-A0-A4-D23-B5-A373-A07.jpg

I carry a particular blade shape for EDC use and the closest to what I like in a fixed blade would be a Bradford Guardian. I have the 3" version but maybe 3.5 would be better for me.

I'm currently carrying 3V Mini Pendleton and I love it (sheath was rubbish tho, so I got a custom one).

Friend of mine just got Viper Berus 1 in M390, and he's just blown away by it. Fit and finish, performance, materials and build quality... all just spot on.

But this made me think... can it get much better than these?

So, I looked some knives up, and saw that these would also fit the bill pretty nicely (depending on your needs):
Brisa Necker 70
Lion Steel M1
ESEE Izula (if you're into outdoors stuff)

As I'm still confused, I figured out it comes down a lot to your needs.
So, what would be the best compact fixed blade to suit your needs?

I'd like to hear about more knives, as I'm really into compact fixed blades at the moment :D

KZpUXbu.jpg

Here is a comparison photo I took for your reference:

For Brisa knives, I would recommend Brisa Bobtail over the Necker since it has better ergonomics and a great sheath.

As always, Mora Junior is the best 'value' of the bunch, the butter knife profile could easily be modded to something pointier, and it is so lightweight and pocketable you will never notice it's there.

TM Hunt Skelemagua is great right out the box, and I recently 're-connect' with my BK24 with the new TKC extended handle, absolutely love that blade profile, the taller blade height allows it to have a thick stock while being somewhat slice-y.

If you are wondering about ESEE Izula, I think II(as shown in photo) would be a better option since it does offer a fuller grip. But IMHO the BK24 with TKC extended handle beats Izula II for ergonomics, YMMV.

At last, the ESEE Candiru is really just for fun, really too small a handle to apply force and blade stock is too chunky for even a quick cutting job.

I go back and forth between a Lionsteel M1 and a Fallkniven Kolt. I love the Kolt’s minimalist sheath.
I also considered Lionsteel M1, but opted for Viper Berus 1 just because it's smaller and has better ergonomics. It's a bit thicker too.

Fallkniven Kolt is a really nice knife, but not really to my personal taste.

I remember my ex who was a feminist, she had Fallkniven WM1 and was proud owner of it just because it was a knife designed for women.
It was a really nice blade, but I remember that she somehow chipped it, and was unable to get it sharp again.
I offered to take those chips out for her, I literally told her that I have coarse diamond stones because D2 is way more wear resistant than that, and I'd take them out in no time...
But she refused, not to bother me she said.

Now, you'll laugh when you hear what she did next...
She actually bought a small machine with sandpaper belt to sharpen all of her knives (and to fix her WM1).
But, she also didn't do research about how to do it properly, and when she asked me how do I sharpen my knives I said "I just grind them until they are sharp". So that's what she did.
But difference is, I'm sharpening by hand on a stone.
Long story short, the area around the tip turned dark blue, and steel along the edge was yellow/golden and even blue on some spots.
She burned the edge...

I also considered Lionsteel M1, but opted for Viper Berus 1 just because it's smaller and has better ergonomics. It's a bit thicker too.

Fallkniven Kolt is a really nice knife, but not really to my personal taste.

I remember my ex who was a feminist, she had Fallkniven WM1 and was proud owner of it just because it was a knife designed for women.
It was a really nice blade, but I remember that she somehow chipped it, and was unable to get it sharp again.
I offered to take those chips out for her, I literally told her that I have coarse diamond stones because D2 is way more wear resistant than that, and I'd take them out in no time...
But she refused, not to bother me she said.

Now, you'll laugh when you hear what she did next...
She actually bought a small machine with sandpaper belt to sharpen all of her knives (and to fix her WM1).
But, she also didn't do research about how to do it properly, and when she asked me how do I sharpen my knives I said "I just grind them until they are sharp". So that's what she did.
But difference is, I'm sharpening by hand on a stone.
Long story short, the area around the tip turned dark blue, and steel along the edge was yellow/golden and even blue on some spots.
She burned the edge...
Is that why you dumped her? lol

My stuff:
Fallkniven WM1 (for corrosive environments),
Bark River PSK EDC, Ultralite Bushcrafter, Mini Tundra,
Ruike Hornet (backpack carry),
Ka-bar Becker Necker (pocket organizer carry).

Esee Izula 2 carries pretty nice. Takes a beating, nice neutral profile, great warranty. 70 bucks ain’t bad.

Super easy to sharpen, micarta works great. It’s gonna get ugly after a while. But it will perform well past it’s low cost of entry.
3ADDB96D-8D0C-4B65-8407-EE58FBD3487B.jpeg

Esee Izula 2 carries pretty nice. Takes a beating, nice neutral profile, great warranty. 70 bucks ain’t bad.

Super easy to sharpen, micarta works great. It’s gonna get ugly after a while. But it will perform well past it’s low cost of entry.
View attachment 1531159
70 bucks in USA, but 130 Euros in Europe, I'm not doubting it's a great knife, but it's really overpriced here.
E EatingSarma got Italian made M390 knife for the same price, and I'd rather option for Lionsteel M1 in M390 for that same money than getting 1095.
No doubt Izula is tougher, but I'm not really batoning with my EDC... I want the Izula really badly ever since I first saw it, but I just don't want to pay double it's original price for it. :(

70 bucks in USA, but 130 Euros in Europe, I'm not doubting it's a great knife, but it's really overpriced here.
E EatingSarma got Italian made M390 knife for the same price, and I'd rather option for Lionsteel M1 in M390 for that same money than getting 1095.
No doubt Izula is tougher, but I'm not really batoning with my EDC... I want the Izula really badly ever since I first saw it, but I just don't want to pay double it's original price for it. :(

I feel ya. It’s a great knife here locally. M390 and Viper make an incredibly good knife. I’m a fan of their products.

Back