Best fixed blade for EDC?

I think we'll soon have all the best fixed blade EDC options in one thread :D
It's funny how drastic is difference in pricing in Europe and USA.

I also realized how US manufacturers tend to prefer 1095 and eventually A2 and 3V, while most of European manufacturers heavily use Sandvik, VG10, D2, Sleipner, Elmax and M390 with almost no plain carbon or non stainless tool steels used in production knives.

49305063851_bc7420c511_k.jpg

This is most of my smaller, EDC friendly fixed blades, as well as my usual carry knife on top for comparison. I like to carry a medium sized fixed blade as compared to a smaller one.

My two favorites are the Esee Xancudo and the Esee Izula. The Izula for being a good knife and very pretty in Damascus, and the Xancudo for being a great slicer with a really good handle

yCOXBFS.jpg

Also of note, both of the Swamp Rats are 0.35 inches thick. It works okay on the larger Ratmandu, not so much on the smaller Swamp Warden. It is quite interesting though.

The Xancudo and the swamp Warden side by side for comparison:
A6944Kn.jpg

Last edited:
As a decades long carrier of such EDCs as you are describing I would like to make a slightly different suggestion. You have been given a great number of great ideas from relatively inexpensive models to expensive customs. I would like to suggest that the sheath and method of carry might be of more importance than the actual knife itself. It needs to be comfortable, practical, secure and durable. Not any of these and its left home soon. What is it you do? What is it you need an EDC for or rather what are you going to do with it? In my world of ranchers and cowboys; angled, horizontal crossdraw carry rules supreme. For us a knife is not only a useful implement/tool but an important safety device. Horses, cattle, ropes and people can go sideways quickly. A small EDC fixed blade can be a lifesaver for us and I can't tell ya how many knives I've sold after a "wreck" where things got "Western." Nor can I tell ya how many times my sheaths have sold my knives. How am I gonna carry this knife? Just something to think on.

uWcm1Eb.jpg

QIxIZzy.jpg

zI559mn.jpg

Moraknif isn’t a bad knife, best EDC fixed I ever carried was made out of a old flat file ground into a knife and then heat treated

^^^^ and horsewright is 100% spot on a fixed blade needs a good sheath, if a knife isn’t comfortable and handy it’s usually in a drawer or box ^^^^

Last edited:
I agree about sheath, I said, the sheath of my Mini Pendleton was simply a disaster. It was so bad it shouldn't be legal to ship that to your customer and charge for it if you ask me. Sold Steel should have paid me to get them rid of that junk IMO...

So... I had to go for a custom sheath.

View media item 10710
I think Horsewright Horsewright is correct on the sheath being key to EDC.

Here is my latest from @davidmary! It is LC200N So it will never rust from carrying it, 4” blade, fast’n’slicey...carries flat and light.

I had @davidmary make 3 Sheathes at a reasonable cost and I have different attachment methods to suit convenience: Ulti-clip, Bladetech belt loop, and g-clip. Easier to carry than a sebenza!

I went back and forth between a Bradford Guardian g3, Lionsteel m1 and m4. Ultimately I decided to go with the 3D g3 in micarta with the Kydex sheath. If the m4 had came with Kydex it would have been a much more difficult for me to pick.
I'm very happy with the Bradford.

I went back and forth between a Bradford Guardian g3, Lionsteel m1 and m4. Ultimately I decided to go with the 3D g3 in micarta with the Kydex sheath. If the m4 had came with Kydex it would have been a much more difficult for me to pick.
I'm very happy with the Bradford.
Once you get used to small fixed blades you just can't really go to folders. Bradford is also an awesome knife.

As a decades long carrier of such EDCs as you are describing I would like to make a slightly different suggestion. You have been given a great number of great ideas from relatively inexpensive models to expensive customs. I would like to suggest that the sheath and method of carry might be of more importance than the actual knife itself. It needs to be comfortable, practical, secure and durable. Not any of these and its left home soon. What is it you do? What is it you need an EDC for or rather what are you going to do with it? In my world of ranchers and cowboys; angled, horizontal crossdraw carry rules supreme. For us a knife is not only a useful implement/tool but an important safety device. Horses, cattle, ropes and people can go sideways quickly. A small EDC fixed blade can be a lifesaver for us and I can't tell ya how many knives I've sold after a "wreck" where things got "Western." Nor can I tell ya how many times my sheaths have sold my knives. How am I gonna carry this knife? Just something to think on.

uWcm1Eb.jpg

QIxIZzy.jpg

zI559mn.jpg
Very true! It is the same with concealed carry pistols. If it isn't comfortable, it's gonna get left behind at some point.

Back