Better bring protection

Maybe I'm a spaz then lol
Nah. Different strokes for different folks. There is no right or wrong here.
I usually throw food safe mineral oil on everything in not using
Mineral oil is my protection of choice when I want to protect a carbon blade that I may use to cut food. FWIW though, I don't really have rust/patina/staining issues with D3V. Use, clean, dry, and repeat.

I use nothing but after using one for wet molding a sheath I will occasionally wipe them down with tough cloth, always been a good product to me.

That said, I have had several makers knives in 3V, get spots during wet molding a sheath, never been a problem with CPK. I've even had ATS-34 get spots wet molding, which is in my experience the least stainless of stainless.

I have a microfiber towel that has one portion lubed up with mineral oil to wipe down my carbon blade knives and the CPK’s get it too.

Speaking of spotting/staining/patina, I’ve noticed a difference between my FK2’s. The hard/thin version has shown more of the aforementioned with some clouding, spotting, the grey color of the stonewash finish is darkening and it’s happened kind of fast, I just got it before this hunting season. Both knives have been used for the same tasks like general camp use and field dressing deer, the standard version that’s been used for 2 years now barely shows a mark.

I don't worry too much about my D3V, all though I still wipe my knives down but for all those other carbon blades: O1, A2, 52100, 1084, 5160, 4V/Vanadis 4E, I do like to keep after them.

I like to use Ballistol, and butcher block oils or wax/oil combos, sometimes I'll use furniture wax and feed conditioners or paste waxes, and for my Japanese carbon kitchen knives: camellia oil spray.

Last edited:
I use nothing but after using one for wet molding a sheath I will occasionally wipe them down with tough cloth, always been a good product to me.

That said, I have had several makers knives in 3V, get spots during wet molding a sheath, never been a problem with CPK. I've even had ATS-34 get spots wet molding, which is in my experience the least stainless of stainless.
this is why rules get broken;)

Back