Better bring protection

To be honest, I obviously have many knives, some also in A2, S7, M4, Infi, etc., and I treat them all the same to make it easier on me .... just a routine without having to think much if one is more corrosion resistant than the other.

It don't need nuffin', but when I'm just touching up...or cleaning up...if I do anything at all, I put a little mineral oil on a fingertip and wipe it down. Very lightly.

Ballistol if I miss the smell of a locker room.

Checkout Seal #1 CLP. It's crazy stuff, non-toxic too. Amazing for firearms and I use it to lube some knives (haven't bothered with my recently acquired DEK1 yet). I live in Utah, so it's pretty dry.

Anyone tried using polymerized linseed oil? It's food safe, unlike boiled linseed oil which has metallic drying agents.

For any knife that is a user I'm less concerned about condition issues because it is getting used, some get heavy usage while others may be more light, but for all the knives that I'm keeping in new/unused condition over the long term which can be for many/months and or years. Rust/corrosion issues can and do sometimes pop up. It a bummer to discover that a small pepper spot has developed on one of the flats of a hand rubbed satin or mirror polished blade. I found one recently on a (unused) Jelio Puukko made out of 1.2519 steel. :mad:

I don't worry too much about my D3V, all though I still wipe my knives down but for all those other carbon blades: O1, A2, 52100, 1084, 5160, 4V/Vanadis 4E, I do like to keep after them.

I like to use Ballistol, and various butcher block oils or wax/oil combos, furniture wax and feed conditioners, paste waxes, and for Japanese carbon kitchen knives: liquid paraffin wax spray. Depending on circumstances I'll use it on various steel and metal surfaces and on wood handles/scales, even buffed micarta but not on TeroTuf.

View attachment 2035983

I use Bick-4 on just about everything, love the stuff. Makes a fantastic non-greasy hand lotion as well.

I use nothing. Swapped the scales last night on my DEK1 after 1.5 years of the same scales, when I removed them there were some stains on the steel but wiped/scratched off with my finger nail. I carry this knife daily in Texas through all the seasons, I’ve gutted and processed multiple animals with it. It has seen every automotive fluid known to man and I was curious what is was going to look like and am pleasantly surprised at how clean it was.

I use nothing. Swapped the scales last night on my DEK1 after 1.5 years of the same scales, when I removed them there were some stains on the steel but wiped/scratched off with my finger nail. I carry this knife daily in Texas through all the seasons, I’ve gutted and processed multiple animals with it. It has seen every automotive fluid known to man and I was curious what is was going to look like and am pleasantly surprised at how clean it was.
What kind of scales did you have on your DEK1, and what scales did you switch to?

Back