Bevel grinding jigs

N Natlek Thank you, sir, for posting the images of the jig and examples. I appreciate you taking the time.

Do you by chance have a name or a link I can see these jigs? I’ve been gone years and am not current. Thank you.

angle iron on a work rest. Changing angle blade is clamped and the angle you approach the platen changes the shape of the grind.

Don't listen to that advice that learning to grind free hand is something special , learning free hand grinding is just a waste of time.... and someone will never master it

It is something you will never master but many of us do.
There is nothing wrong with using a jig, or riding a tricycle rather then a bicycle or tracing a picture instead of freehand drawing.

There is nothing wrong with using a jig, there is something lacking when you have to.

Don't listen to that advice that learning to grind free hand is something special , learning free hand grinding is just a waste of time.... and someone will never master it . With jig everything is faster and more accurate....of course even with jig there is learning curve .
You can grind any type of grind with jig ........ much faster and belt would last longer !

A lot of time, I will start on the jig and finish by hand. Main reason are the kitchen knives with no plunges, distal taper and convex grind. I also haven't figured out how to have a nice line towards the tip, so I will usually change to free hand to finish the tip. How do you do tips on a hollow grind with a jig?

I just made one with some surface mount cabinet hinges, some screws, G10, scrap metal, and other basic materials. Its a no weld, drill and tap and JB Kwik Weld version:
UoRbNr7.jpg

I tried it last night and it worked pretty well, more stable/solid than the previous angle iron jigs I tried. I want to have a better one made up. Use some thicker aluminum for the vertical piece the blade is clamped to and have the blade shelf machined into the aluminum block and get some thick barstock welded vertically to a bottom metal plate and drill/tap that for the push screw. For a prototype, this seems to work well! The hinges go back to slightly more than 90, so I have to screw in the push screw a bit to get 90, which is nice. The cabinet hinges are a dampened self closing style, so it has some backward pressure on the push screw and I added a locking wing nut to keep it from shifting and to lock the angle.

I have some cobbled up magnet jigs that I would rather not show :)

Started working on a simple set up last weekend. It's a 10x10 cm aluminium angle about 20 cm long (10 mm thick). Holes are being tapped with m5 and countersunk up 8mm so that the bolt head can be countersunk and not protrude under the bevel. You can bolt down the handle in place through pin holes. It's going to have micarta handles and gliders. One set screw on the back with a micarta cap rounded off.
6JzzXG2.jpg

AbA1ySY.jpg

Cg8qjJS.jpg

WV4rjgF.jpg

I got the design from the v2 jig by Michael hessing on YT.

I have always found the sled style jigs to be cumbersome, and always give me an issue where the belly thins out but the heel and tip stay too thick.

I like the tilt table jig. It forces you to hold the belly and tip at the correct angle. I'm still not great at grinding so I end up hand sanding the bevels with edm stones anyway. I feel that at least starting with a straighter edge and somewhat flat bevels makes it easier.

https://bergknifemaking.com/collect.../standard-tilt-table-knife-bevel-grinding-jig

Don't listen to that advice that learning to grind free hand is something special , learning free hand grinding is just a waste of time.... and someone will never master it . With jig everything is faster and more accurate....of course even with jig there is learning curve .
You can grind any type of grind with jig ........ much faster and belt would last longer !

Can you please recommend me a jig for this thing :) It came out a bit wavy doing it freehand :)

Hixc0Vk.jpg

joke aside , I don't think such statement is right. Freehand grinding gives you freedom , when you get used to it it also gives you speed and is nice skill to have . I don't say using jig is wrong. I just encourage everyone to try and learn freehand. Cheers

Can you please recommend me a jig for this thing :) It came out a bit wavy doing it freehand :)

Hixc0Vk.jpg

joke aside , I don't think such statement is right. Freehand grinding gives you freedom , when you get used to it it also gives you speed and is nice skill to have . I don't say using jig is wrong. I just encourage everyone to try and learn freehand. Cheers

N Natlek now you need to make a jig for it :D

I do wonder what that knife is used for, killing zombies mortal kombat style? :)

Hixc0Vk.jpg

I can make jig for that in ten minutes ..............and in other ten minutes job DONE :D
About your freedom and speed ..............we can easy check that ? Anybody want that ? We should make complete video .Continuously, from beginning to end .......same hardened steel ...M2 HSS steel for example , same shape and dimension blank .Let see who will do it faster and have better finish , symmetry bevels,even plunge from both side ...etc .You or me with my angle iron jig ????
Come on Freehand makers , let see what is speed , freedom and fast grinding :D
PS . I will give you 5 minutes advantage............

Last edited:
Basically, whatever helps you grind better is a good thing. However to make a blanket statement that freehand grinding is a waste of time does not show maturity in my opinion. Natlek, what would happen if you went somewhere to do a grinding demo and they did not have any jigs and you did not bring yours?? Freehand grinding would come in pretty handy right there I would think. Try making a kukri blade with a jig. The curves and changing bevel angles could cause some issues. But what do I know, my grinding is just a waste of time. Over 40 years worth I guess.
Brion

I can make jig for that in ten minutes ..............and in other ten minutes job DONE :D
About your freedom and speed ..............we can easy check that ? Anybody want that ? We should make complete video .Continuously, from beginning to end .......same hardened steel ...M2 HSS steel for example , same shape and dimension blank .Let see who will do it faster and have better finish , symmetry bevels,even plunge from both side ...etc .You or me with my angle iron jig ????
k2IT0Fo.jpg

I am retired and only make a couple knives every couple months..if I get one of these fast type jigs think of all the freedom I can have to stop screwing around in my shop and help out more around the place. No thanks, not in a hurry, but you make some pretty cool stuff!
James

As always, there are differing opinions on the jigs. I am looking forward to finishing mine. It will be a great speed up of my process.

lvmqgQi.jpg

yiGCNFT.jpg

Yes speed. When you do something different than the absolutly same type of blade that you do every time and your jig is adjusted to you will understand.

Back