Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

My wife found me a proper Advent Calendar several weeks ago - I finally get to start it tomorrow!

LJGEyj8.jpg

Very cool! Have fun with it. :thumbsup:

A friend gave me one of these a few years ago. It took me longer than 24 days to consume the contents, but it was fun to open up a window every day and see what was tucked behind.

This year we picked up a similar calendar that has half bottles of wine. That’ll also take a while to work our way through, I predict, but looking forward to seeing what’s behind door number one later today. :)

I need one!

I saw that advertised recently (and have seen them in previous years) but I’ve never picked one up. I thought about getting one this year, but at this point I think I might be too late (I believe they were all gone well before Thanksgiving last year.)

I think my wife found this one at Costco. But this was weeks ago, I have been waiting very patiently...

Very cool! Have fun with it. :thumbsup:

A friend gave me one of these a few years ago. It took me longer than 24 days to consume the contents, but it was fun to open up a window every day and see what was tucked behind.

This year we picked up a similar calendar that has half bottles of wine. That’ll also take a while to work our way through, I predict, but looking forward to seeing what’s behind door number one later today. :)

I am an equal opportunity consumer of adult recreation beverages - beer, wine, whisky... That said, I have yet to get into such things as gin, tequila, and the like. A wine advent calendar sounds like fun - these days I actually drink more wine, whisky, and coffee than I do beer.

Dec. 1st brings me a Flötzinger Hell - a lager of sorts. Very light but pretty good nonetheless.

kJSbvRY.jpg

I think my wife found this one at Costco. But this was weeks ago, I have been waiting very patiently...

That’s definitely where she got it. :D I called around this morning and confirmed what I suspected, that I waited too long and they’re all sold out (at least around here). We go to Costco every other week or so, and I wish I would’ve thought about it and picked one up earlier in the fall, but here in MN the liquor “section” is legally required to be completely separate from the rest of the store, with its own entrance and checkout, so I don’t always go in there unless I know I need something. (Cuts down on impulse purchases :D, but also you can also miss stuff like this if you don’t stop in often enough.)

I am looking forward to following along, Dylan, and since you’ve got the beer advent calendar, and Greg has wine covered, I thought I might do a sort of DIY whiskey advent calendar. I don’t really have a bunch of unique, interesting bottles — I would say my whiskey “collection” is, overall, very pedestrian — but I do have enough bottles to make it work, so why not? (Maybe I’ll pick up a couple new things to try between now and Christmas, just to keep it interesting.)

For December 1st (and just under the wire, at 11:50 pm Central time), I grabbed a bottle I had nearby, Elijah Craig Small Batch. After this, I’m going to set up some sort of system by which the whiskey for each day is predetermined, but unknown to me. I’ll get back to y’all on that tomorrow.

JOTzddW.jpg

That’s definitely where she got it. :D I called around this morning and confirmed what I suspected, that I waited too long and they’re all sold out (at least around here). We go to Costco every other week or so, and I wish I would’ve thought about it and picked one up earlier in the fall, but here in MN the liquor “section” is legally required to be completely separate from the rest of the store, with its own entrance and checkout, so I don’t always go in there unless I know I need something. (Cuts down on impulse purchases :D, but also you can also miss stuff like this if you don’t stop in often enough.)

I am looking forward to following along, Dylan, and since you’ve got the beer advent calendar, and Greg has wine covered, I thought I might do a sort of DIY whiskey advent calendar. I don’t really have a bunch of unique, interesting bottles — I would say my whiskey “collection” is, overall, very pedestrian — but I do have enough bottles to make it work, so why not? (Maybe I’ll pick up a couple new things to try between now and Christmas, just to keep it interesting.)

For December 1st (and just under the wire, at 11:50 pm Central time), I grabbed a bottle I had nearby, Elijah Craig Small Batch. After this, I’m going to set up some sort of system by which the whiskey for each day is predetermined, but unknown to me. I’ll get back to y’all on that tomorrow.

JOTzddW.jpg

I do love whiskey and I've seen some of your whisky library - I'm looking forward to seeing how your advent plays out.

Dec. 2nd - a Fürst Carl Kellerbier. I do not know what most of the labels are on this thing - whether it's a brewery, the name of the beer itself, or what. What I do know is that I have not had a Kellerbier before (to my knowledge). Translating somewhat to "cellar beer", it is an unfiltered, unpasteurized lager. Smooth, a bit creamy, yet crisp - it's pretty good.

TiXE0Oa.jpg

Alright, my officially unsanctioned DIY whisk(e)y advent calendar is ready to go. I wrote the names of 23 bottles down on slips of paper, folded them over, mixed them up and blindly numbered them 2 through 24.

Dsuc1FK.jpg

There are a couple new bottles in there that I’ve been looking forward to trying (as well as a couple things I’m not particular excited about, but thought would be interesting additions). :D

For December 2nd, I’ve got…

Rqvh8vC.jpg

The Macallan 12 Year. When it comes to scotch, I generally prefer the peaty Islay malts, so I don’t often drink much of the Highland stuff. This is a perfectly good whisky, but I wouldn’t reach for it over my favorite Islay bottles.

Also, this is the second bottle that I’ve gone to open recently and had the cork-cap break in the neck of the bottle. :mad: (The other was a bottle of tequila, which I think I posted about here.) To be fair, it had been a while since I had opened either bottle, but it’s still irritating. Thankfully I managed to get the cork out, and I had an old Buffalo Trace cork-cap that fits perfectly as a replacement.

acj4Xrv.jpg

Despite the current 5 hours of weak twilight here, and diminishing every day still :eek:
Started the day well with Rocket Fuel:D strong coffee and the latest arrival from last night (perpetual night...) This year's Forum Knife and one of the very best so far :thumbsup:

W8dMe7P.jpg

Dec. 3rd - Kauzen Bräu Käuzle Pils (yet another Lager....). This is winter and I am hoping there will be more than just a bunch of Lagers...

xuHDJXP.jpg

I hope you get some variety soon, Dylan!

December 3rd was good to me on my DIY whiskey advent. I got…

2B30Upf.jpg

W.L. Weller Special Reserve. This was a favorite of mine a few years back, but it became difficult to find for a while (at least around here) and I was hesitant to finish this bottle off without any to replace it. (If you’re familiar with Weller, you probably know they haven’t used this bottle for a while now.) Thankfully I was able to find some recently, so I don’t feel at all bad about enjoying this now. (I’ll probably have a few tonight.) :D

2r3Ymvg.jpg

I hope you get some variety soon, Dylan!

December 3rd was good to me on my DIY whiskey advent. I got…

2B30Upf.jpg

W.L. Weller Special Reserve. This was a favorite of mine a few years back, but it became difficult to find for a while (at least around here) and I was hesitant to finish this bottle off without any to replace it. (If you’re familiar with Weller, you probably know they haven’t used this bottle for a while now.) Thankfully I was able to find some recently, so I don’t feel at all bad about enjoying this now. (I’ll probably have a few tonight.) :D

2r3Ymvg.jpg

Very nice, Barrett - is that the same stuff as their Special Reserve (green label/90 proof). If so, that is an everyday sipper for me and I am rather fortunate that my local liquor store keeps it readily in stock. Now the Antique 107... that's a different story - practically gone before it hits the shelves. The clerks have started keeping it behind the counter.

A step in the right direction - Dec. 4th: a Zwönitzer Steinbier Dark Special.

NE9XRRW.jpg

Very nice, Barrett - is that the same stuff as their Special Reserve (green label/90 proof). If so, that is an everyday sipper for me and I am rather fortunate that my local liquor store keeps it readily in stock. Now the Antique 107... that's a different story - practically gone before it hits the shelves. The clerks have started keeping it behind the counter.

NE9XRRW.jpg

Yep, it is the Special Reserve. I actually haven’t tried the Antique. For a while just about everything from Buffalo Trace was hard to find around here, but it’s gotten better.

Glad you got a break from the lagers. :D Great group of knives! :thumbsup:

December 4th. Now I don’t drink whiskey every day (except for this month, apparently), but if I did, my current choice for an everyday whiskey would be…

uKzoDmM.jpg

Old Grand-Dad (Bonded). This stuff is just good. And a good value, too. I’ve had bourbons that cost twice as much that I like half as well. :D

JAfICcM.jpg

NE9XRRW.jpg
Dylan that's an amazing trio there sir!

‘Tis the season...

FY8S3FMh.jpg

First winter ale of the season, and a perennial favorite.

Pàdruig Pàdruig and btb01 btb01 , I’m enjoying your daily Advent calendar posts! I’ve been enjoying the wine Advent calendar, but my wife only wants a few sips and 375 ml is too much wine for me to consume on a daily cadence, so I haven’t opened all the bottles yet. The ones I’ve opened have all been enjoyable, though. I’ll post a few more as the season progresses.

Cheers, everyone! Have a wonderful and safe weekend!

Yep, it is the Special Reserve. I actually haven’t tried the Antique. For a while just about everything from Buffalo Trace was hard to find around here, but it’s gotten better.

Glad you got a break from the lagers. :D Great group of knives! :thumbsup:

Thank you, Barrett. If you can find the Antique 107, I'd recommend it. It is a bit hard to find but is pretty darned good - a bit spendier than the Special Reserve though.

I haven't tried the Old Grand-Dad before - I'll have to see if it is at my local shop.

Dylan that's an amazing trio there sir!

Thank you, Taylor!

Dec 5th - a Graminger Kirta (Dunkles Weissbier), it is described as a dark hefeweizen, which is something I don't think I've ever had before.

Very malty with some of that "wheatiness" you expect from a Hef. I'm not sure I'd drink this regularly as I'm not usually a big fan of wheat beers but it is pretty good.

DSxDHuC.jpg

Thank you, Barrett. If you can find the Antique 107, I'd recommend it. It is a bit hard to find but is pretty darned good - a bit spendier than the Special Reserve though.

I haven't tried the Old Grand-Dad before - I'll have to see if it is at my local shop.

Thank you, Taylor!

Dec 5th - a Graminger Kirta (Dunkles Weissbier), it is described as a dark hefeweizen, which is something I don't think I've ever had before.

Very malty with some of that "wheatiness" you expect from a Hef. I'm not sure I'd drink this regularly as I'm not usually a big fan of wheat beers but it is pretty good.

DSxDHuC.jpg
Looks interesting. Great carry as always!

2nd brew from Mraz. A Hazy IPA. Gonna dig into a pale ale next I think.
P1746Nd.jpg

DSxDHuC.jpg

I like the can design on that one, Dylan. :D

My whiskey for December 5th is…

ZEn1MYD.jpg

Sazerac Rye. I bought this to try a while back, having had limited experience with rye. It’s not bad, but far from my favorite dram.

OwigCxj.jpg

Back