Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

@rarreola Nice set-up all round :thumbsup: A cool Old Scout, that ash-tray is like a block of ice itself:thumbsup: Not being American, I don't have big access to Bourbons but I certainly do like Bulleit but a bottle costs 45 €/ around 54 USD here so...Just finished some Wild Turkey 101 Rye, but I've decided I don't like Rye as much.

Thanks, Will

Had a Wieninger Winter Festbier yesterday but cos it's dark all the time (11.35 am here and barely lightish..:eek::poop:) I drank it before I could take a pic :D Not that they come out well at the moment anyway. Beer went down very smoothly a nice authentic Bayerische blonde beer, not a fan of Stouts or dark beer except English Bitter or their original Pale Ale not the trendy citrusy stuff of today barf!;) Current Forum Knife accompanied this drinking bout which continued with Italian Red Barbera d'Asti with the meal, appropriate for a knife from Italia.

BcnbXZn.jpg

My Guinness boilermaker. Maker's Mark in the John Wayne shot glass. Irish beer, American whisky, French knife.
¡Salud!

20201206-185428.jpg

Had a sample 4 pack from Southern Highlands Brewery and Taproom ...took a few photes when I got home....this one shall be known as the " the chopping board of Dalmeny" due to the miraculous appearance of this image of the beer gods face.

DIY whiskey advent calendar, December 6th. Here’s what I got:

w619iAm.jpg

Old Forester Statesman. This is the first unopened bottle to come up (there’ll be a few more). I bought it because it was on clearance (as you can tell by the clearance sticker still on the bottle). Who doesn’t like a good deal on whiskey? :D

I haven’t had anything from Old Forester before, but I’d heard they made some good whiskey, so I figured for the price I’d try it. I guess this particular offering was marketed as a tie-in for the movie Kingsman: The Golden Circle (which I haven’t seen). I think the movie is a couple years old, which is probably why this was on clearance. :rolleyes:

All that aside, though, this stuff is good! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I’m not all that good at detailed, descriptive tasting notes, but it’s smooth, it tastes great, and it’s definitely worth the clearance price (and probably worth the regular price).

ZZmK5i1.jpg

Dec. 7th - Gräflich von Mengersen'sche Dampfbrauerei Rheder (Nordrhein-Westfalen) Jubiläumsbier 333. Yeah that is one heck of a mouthful for a name... Anyway, this one is a Helle style Lager that was brewed in celebration of the 333rd anniversary of this brewery, using a historical recipe.

It is pretty good for a Lager - I can actually taste a bit of hops in there. Lagers tend to be really bland for my tastes but this one has excellent flavor. (still waiting on some dark beers though....)

qNKCbhB.jpg

Here’s what I got for December 7th…

hZS4BTA.jpg

Auchentoshan 12. This is a Lowland single malt scotch, and was gift from my brother — a favorite of his, if I remember correctly. It’s decent, nice and smooth, but has no big flavors that really stand out, either. “Tame” is probably a good word to describe it.

5c9dG9A.jpg

Dec. 7th - Gräflich von Mengersen'sche Dampfbrauerei Rheder (Nordrhein-Westfalen) Jubiläumsbier 333. Yeah that is one heck of a mouthful for a name... Anyway, this one is a Helle style Lager that was brewed in celebration of the 333rd anniversary of this brewery, using a historical recipe.

It is pretty good for a Lager - I can actually taste a bit of hops in there. Lagers tend to be really bland for my tastes but this one has excellent flavor. (still waiting on some dark beers though....)

qNKCbhB.jpg

Here’s what I got for December 7th…

hZS4BTA.jpg

Auchentoshan 12. This is a Lowland single malt scotch, and was gift from my brother — a favorite of his, if I remember correctly. It’s decent, nice and smooth, but has no big flavors that really stand out, either. “Tame” is probably a good word to describe it.

5c9dG9A.jpg
Awesome guys!

For December 8th, I’ve got one from @Half/Stop’s neck of woods (or thereabouts)…

w8CXNBT.jpg

George Dickel No. 12. This is one of those whiskeys that really surprised me when I first tried it. It may not be as iconic as that “other” Tennessee whiskey, but I prefer this one. ;) :D

zzjYCcp.jpg

Last edited:
For December 8th, I’ve got one from @Half/Stop’s neck of woods (or thereabouts)…

w8CXNBT.jpg

George Dickel No. 12. This is one of those whiskeys that really surprised me when I first tried it. It may not be as iconic as that “other” Tennessee whiskey, but I prefer this one. ;) :D

zzjYCcp.jpg
Excellent stuff. I didn't like that "other one" lowering the proof [watering it down] some years ago.

Back