Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Kind of a hot chocolate afternoon :D

7inotSB.jpg

I don't think I've ever been so excited to try a Pale Ale.

:D :D

December 9th’s whiskey comes from (and this is a direct quote from the back of the bottle) “the world’s only ski-in gastro-distillery” in Old Town Park City, Utah…

FLrJid5.jpg

High West Campfire. This was a gift from a friend who thought I might like it because of my affinity for Islay whiskies. It’s a blend of rye, bourbon and peated scotch. Now I wouldn’t say that I like it quite as much as my favorite Islay malts, but it does have a nice smoky character, as well as some interesting spice/heat (presumably from the rye). It’s certainly unique, and not at all in a bad way. And it’ll warm you up on a cold night, so I guess the name is fitting.

sQ5iYv0.jpg

You can post pics of coffee or Coca-Cola, John. Doesn't have to be alcoholic.

No Pepsi, though. ;) :D

Well it turns out that December 10th is the day I’ve most been looking forward to, because today’s whisky is…

8f71lLO.jpg

Lagavulin Offerman Edition. I’ve been a fan of Nick Offerman for a while. I like his writing, I liked him as Ron Swanson on Parks and Rec, and I think he’s just an all-around good dude.

I also like Lagavulin. A lot. So I was excited when I heard that Nick was working with them to release his own special edition single malt. I picked this bottle up about a year ago, when it first came out, but for whatever reason I hadn’t opened it yet.

HuZkFyW.jpg

It’s good! The smokiness and briny sea salt is similar to Lagavulin 16, but this is a bit brighter, with some fruity, floral notes that set it apart.

Here’s a photo of the bottle (with better lighting) that I took a while back.

3cGZgRj.jpg

Barrett, what is the ABV of the 11 y.o.? I recently had a bottle of the 8 y.o. @ 48 ABV (96 proof) and man was it good!

hMkr0yh.jpg

Jeff, it’s 46% ABV (92 proof). I’ve never had the 8 year, I’ll have to give it a try some time.

Here’s a photo of the front and back of the Offerman Edition box.

iAP79Vi.jpg

btb01 btb01 That's a considerable whisky/whiskey 'library' you've got access to there, a real Bodleian ;):D Then there's the knives...:thumbsup:

Regards, Will

Thanks, Will! :D

No Pepsi, though. ;) :D

Well it turns out that December 10th is the day I’ve most been looking forward to, because today’s whisky is…

8f71lLO.jpg

Lagavulin Offerman Edition. I’ve been a fan of Nick Offerman for a while. I like his writing, I liked him as Ron Swanson on Parks and Rec, and I think he’s just an all-around good dude.

I also like Lagavulin. A lot. So I was excited when I heard that Nick was working with them to release his own special edition single malt. I picked this bottle up about a year ago, when it first came out, but for whatever reason I hadn’t opened it yet.

HuZkFyW.jpg

It’s good! The smokiness and briny sea salt is similar to Lagavulin 16, but this is a bit brighter, with some fruity, floral notes that set it apart.

Here’s a photo of the bottle (with better lighting) that I took a while back.

3cGZgRj.jpg

That's fantastic, Barrett! I echo the sentiments regarding Nick Offerman. I have a Lagavulin 9 year that is a Game of Thrones edition - it definitely is different than the 16 but no less pleasant.

Took a break from beer last night so I have to play catch up today:

Dec. 10th: Herrnbräu Tradition - a Festbier. Brewed for Oktoberfest exclusively - I am currently in the middle of this one and it is quite good but I usually like Oktoberfest beers so this was nice to break up the spat of Lagers.

Dec. 11th: Ankerbräu Grandl Bavarian Lager - a Helles style Lager. Oh look, another Lager....

After I finish these, I will be digging into a growler of a locally made Doppelbock. I don't think I will be caring much at all about Lagers after a few mugs of that stuff - it is going to be a good Friday.

(Please forgive the terrible picture - it's raining quite a bit so my source of good lighting has been compromised.)

mVifzWp.jpg

Goddam I love Lagavulin;)

A Friday night staple is the 10 but the 6 and 8 have their place.

After sipping a Laphroaig and considering the matter I humbly contend what I wrote is not offensive.

Personally, I am not offended - one would have to try a heck of a lot harder. However, it is the rules of the sub-forum here with regards to language - just a heads up on my part. Nice choice of whisky, I love me some Laphroaig.

Personally, I am not offended - one would have to try a heck of a lot harder. However, it is the rules of the sub-forum here with regards to language - just a heads up on my part. Nice choice of whisky, I love me some Laphroaig.
I hear you Pàdruig and I thank you for the tip. I'm afraid I'm at the mercy of the forum moderators then as it will be they who remove the word if deemed offensive.
I wonder with the inclusion of the fada in your name are you a fellow countryman? Most American Irish wouldn't have it! In Cork myself and I raise my glass of smokey Islay goodness to you:)

Back