Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Found this Vanilla Porter in my grocery store back in November. It's from Founders Brewery, which is located in my city. Founders has made a porter that I've enjoyed for years, and this new one is different, but doesn't replace the old one. I like both versions very much. Most of the porters I get have vanilla and/or coffee added as a flavor, but I like the plain porters, too, even though they might be a little bit "harsher". The new Vanilla Porter from Founders is incredibly "smooth".
New Vanilla Porter:
founders.van.porter.jpeg
founders.van.porter.label.jpeg

Old "plain" Porter (they have a new label now, but I apparently don't have a photo of the "new art" yet):
founders.porter.label.jpeg

- GT

My daughter, her fiancé, and her dog came to visit us a couple of weeks before Christmas and stayed for almost a week. They usually bring me some beers from Minnesota to try. One of the beers they brought was this peanut butter porter from Dangerous Man brewery. It was very tasty, although peanut butter porter is something I'd prefer to drink by itself rather than to have it as a beverage with a meal. (The larger can is some kind of hazy IPA we got for Elle and Isaac, since they like that style of beer. I had a taste of it; seemed like fruit punch to me - not really my thing.)
dangerousman.PBporter.jpeg

I admired how the brewer, although a dangerous man, gave clear info about ingredients:
dangerousman.PBporter.label1.jpeg

And it was good to see the claim that the PB porter was brewed by actual humans!
dangerousman.PBporter.label2.jpeg

- GT

Allow me to translate..if I may...
Christmas 'do' = Christmas work party.
Just in case you were wondering what my fellow Aussie mitch13 was talking about...😁
Meanwhile meako has been taking advantage of holiday weekend public hol..triple pay rates...delivering ice...yes ICE....Australia needs ice by the ton.
20231223_074933.jpg
And at the end of a long day(triple time remember) the plastic slasher needs a beer...and theres no better beer than Big Niles south coast ipa.
Happy New Year to all.
20231230_181451.jpg

meako meako Good job! Triple rates eh? Nice to see some places still treat the workers properly and not being reduced to Amazon delivery slaves...What you going to spend all that cash on ? ;)

Always liked that beer glass you show and what's that tidy liner-lock Sheepfoot, just right for a slash...er slasher.

Here's what it was like in the good old days, great for building up upper body strength but could also be hernia inducing :eek: Have a Goood '24 mate:thumbsup:

1703941022634.jpeg

Cheers Will and the same to you...the sheepfoot is a cheap roughy Ive had for years..the only stamp is 'ROSTFREI'....but liner lock with brass pins and liners and rosewood scales...it sharpens up well and the sheepsfoot is perfectamundo for slashing that horrible plastic film they wrap the ice pallets with...and not stabbing the ice bags...

Just in case you were wondering what my fellow Aussie mitch13 was talking about...😁
Meanwhile meako has been taking advantage of holiday weekend public hol..triple pay rates...delivering ice...yes ICE....Australia needs ice by the ton.
View attachment 2439107
And at the end of a long day(triple time remember) the plastic slasher needs a beer...and theres no better beer than Big Niles south coast ipa.
Happy New Year to all.
View attachment 2439109
😂🤣
Hope you made a few dollars & the family had a great Christmas and happy new year.

He was only 10 years old 😢
View attachment 2444548
One of my favs!

View attachment 2439107
Happy New Year to all.
View attachment 2439109
Had a friend from Scotland visit in 1980 or so. Was living in Santa Maria (on the Central Coast of California), with my parents at the time as I was just out of high school and started in the local community college. My parents had picked up David "Redbeard" Lyons, at the airport as I was getting back from a backpacking trip the day after Redbeard flew in. There was three Dave's in our group of friends in Scotland, so to differentiate, David Redbeard was called that for obvious reasons or Redbeard for short, I was BigD and the little guy was WeeD. Redbeard accompanied my mom to the store on that overlapping day and was fascinated by the ice storage machine out front where ya could buy your ice. He asked my mom why do they sell ice? The Central Coast is noted for its mild climate. A hot day is like 73 degrees and a cold day was like 72 degrees. So with his limited time there in California, Redbeard just didn't see the need for selling ice. Day after I got back from the Sierra, Redbeard and I jump in the car and we're headed east to see the Grand Canyon. We'd left fairly early and our first stop for fuel and lunch was in Barstow. Now Barstow is definitely not part of the Central Coast! Its most definitely in the Mojave desert. We get out of the air conditioned car and the heat smacked us in the face like a hammer. This was mid June and just before noon, it was probably 105 degrees in the shade! First words out of Redbeard's mouth were: "Och, Mommy, Daddie, now I know why you sell ice!" His second piece of culture shock was ordering at the Denny's. He'd decided to have breakfast and when the waitress asked how he wanted his eggs he looked at her a little sideways, paused for a second and said: "On a plate?" He was from the Gorbells in Glasgow and being asked how you wanted your eggs was beyond his "ken", ya ken.

SukSh5a.jpg

The Uigeadail is a tour de force at full proof, usually around 110. I often saved that for my last drink of the evening, as anything taken after it would seem weak.

Ardbeg is my favourite distillery from Islay, but am yet to try uigeadail.

I'll get there someday, those campbelltown malts are just too hard to go past.
Spent a few weeks in Campbeltown on the Mull of Kintyre. A chance purchase was the start and founding of Horsewright Decades later. I was squiring a local young lady around the town for a couple of days. I wouldn't say we were dating. Just walking around town. We stopped in this fabric shop that had some tartan. I do have some Scottish heritage (Farqhaurson, Stewarts of Appin). They'd had a display of tartans but in ancient colors which I hadn't seen before. They were displaying the tartan in ancient colors next to the same tartan in the "modern" colors. The idea being that the ancient colors were softer more muted kinda plant and nature based dyes as opposed to the more bright glarish, chemical dyes of the modern colors. I bought a 1/2 yard of the Ancient Farqhurson just because. Held onto that piece of fabric without doing anything with it for twenty odd years. Was at The Californi Cowboy Gathering in 98 or 99. Sitting with some friends and I was struck by how many of the roping participants had Scottish last names. The announcer would say Jack MacDonald will rope next with Steve Turnbull. Or Ethan MacDavie is roping with Tom Gordon. The mother of a working student I had at the time (I was a pretty well known horse trainer those days). Was sitting next to me. She was of some Scottish heritage too but also a gifted seamstress. We got to talking and would folks be interested in a western vest of their family tartan? We were designing it right there in the stands. I told her about this piece of fabric and since it was only a half yard we decided to make the vest out of canvas and line it with the tartan. It worked great and that was the first prototype and the first or what would later develop into Horsewright.

Back