Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Cheers Jack. I'll have to catch up with the lambsfoot thread someday. You should try the Northern Monk brewery in Leeds in Holbeck though it's hardly the cheapest part of the world to go drinking :eek:

I drink a lot of their beers Donn, but they're more expensive in the brewery than most other places! :eek: I usually just have the Eternal, I can get that at £2 a pint on the right day in Leeds ;) :thumbsup: I'm just having a few cans of Punk IPA, not my favourite brew, but on offer at my local offie! :D :thumbsup:

I drink a lot of their beers Donn, but they're more expensive in the brewery than most other places! :eek: I usually just have the Eternal, I can get that at £2 a pint on the right day in Leeds ;) :thumbsup: I'm just having a few cans of Punk IPA, not my favourite brew, but on offer at my local offie! :D :thumbsup:

£2 a pint!? Of decent ale!? In Leeds!? Surely you jest sir! :D I'm running out of internal organs to sell to afford most of the pubs in Leeds :(
I've got to say I've never been a massive fan of the Brewdog beers but I've not tried all of them. A few years ago we came across a bottle of their 'Tactical Nuclear Penguin' in 'The Mitre Inn' in Knaresborough. £5 for a shot glass. (For anyone who doesn't know, TNP was at one time the world's strongest beer at 32%). For no particular reason I had expectations it would be a really foul brew. But I couldn't of been more wrong...it was absolutely gorgeous!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

So I realized that I enjoy a beer that would pair spectacularly well with Jack Black Jack Black 's anchor knife that he posts on occasion. Anchor Brewing Co, based out of San Francisco, is considered to be one of the smallest and most traditional breweries in the world. Not only is this Porter quite delightful but their Steam beer is quite tasty as well.

As I do not have an anchor knife (yet), I will pair it with this Camillus Scout that I picked up for almost nothing. It's a bit of a heart breaker though as it might be beyond my meager skills to clean up. Though the springs are in good shape (bear traps really), it seems that in its previous life it had been used to open a can of some sort of paint or fluid. Doesn't seem to want to come off easily and it has done a good job at staining the blade and tools, which all appear to be in structural good shape, almost unused...

Ah well, we shall see what time and some further elbow grease produces...

aMIpj0f.jpg

I'd recommend an Otter Messer Anchor knife. Picked one up a few months ago and have been very happy with it.

A pint of Summertime Dark, 4%. Borough Brewery at the Borough pub, Lancaster.
Ke5UQnV.jpg

Thank you donn donn ! I will put it on the ever growing list of knives/items to be on the look out for. And that looks like a lovely brew!

Thank you donn donn ! I will put it on the ever growing list of knives/items to be on the look out for. And that looks like a lovely brew!

It was a cracking ale thank you, but that's the problem with this thread. It gives you ideas for knives. It gives you ideas for beers. But my wallet often can't do both unfortunately :(

£2 a pint!? Of decent ale!? In Leeds!? Surely you jest sir! :D I'm running out of internal organs to sell to afford most of the pubs in Leeds :(
I've got to say I've never been a massive fan of the Brewdog beers but I've not tried all of them. A few years ago we came across a bottle of their 'Tactical Nuclear Penguin' in 'The Mitre Inn' in Knaresborough. £5 for a shot glass. (For anyone who doesn't know, TNP was at one time the world's strongest beer at 32%). For no particular reason I had expectations it would be a really foul brew. But I couldn't of been more wrong...it was absolutely gorgeous!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Only on Tuesdays unfortunately! I know what you mean, I still have a kidney in pawn to North Bar! :eek: :D I won a couple of bottles of BD's Tokyo, which were extremely good, particularly for nowt! :D They used to do a beer which was named after a friend of mine, Alice Porter :) :thumbsup:

So I realized that I enjoy a beer that would pair spectacularly well with Jack Black Jack Black 's anchor knife that he posts on occasion. Anchor Brewing Co, based out of San Francisco, is considered to be one of the smallest and most traditional breweries in the world. Not only is this Porter quite delightful but their Steam beer is quite tasty as well.

As I do not have an anchor knife (yet), I will pair it with this Camillus Scout that I picked up for almost nothing. It's a bit of a heart breaker though as it might be beyond my meager skills to clean up. Though the springs are in good shape (bear traps really), it seems that in its previous life it had been used to open a can of some sort of paint or fluid. Doesn't seem to want to come off easily and it has done a good job at staining the blade and tools, which all appear to be in structural good shape, almost unused...

Ah well, we shall see what time and some further elbow grease produces...

aMIpj0f.jpg

Lovely beers Dylan :) I think they were some of the first 'new' US ales available here :) :thumbsup:

Lovely beers Dylan :) I think they were some of the first 'new' US ales available here :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack! Sadly, I drank the last of them last night :(. Off to the market (also known as our local Beer Mecca) after work today to restock.

Per donn donn 's recommendation, I have been looking at some OTTER-Messer Anchor knives. Seems they can be had fairly easily and not too expensively. Now my question: Can I be confident that knives with the OTTER-Messer name are German made in Solingen? Or are there things I need to look out for? The reason I ask is because of the variety of Spanish and French knives that seem to be copied quite often or are simply sourced from China...

Thanks Jack! Sadly, I drank the last of them last night :(. Off to the market (also known as our local Beer Mecca) after work today to restock.

Per donn donn 's recommendation, I have been looking at some OTTER-Messer Anchor knives. Seems they can be had fairly easily and not too expensively. Now my question: Can I be confident that knives with the OTTER-Messer name are German made in Solingen? Or are there things I need to look out for? The reason I ask is because of the variety of Spanish and French knives that seem to be copied quite often or are simply sourced from China...

Uncle Andi (Humppa) is our (semi)resident Otter expert, but I believe Otter are still 100% German :thumbsup: Hope you find a few nice brews my friend :)

For reference, see William Hogarth's famous engravings, 'Beer Street' and its counterpart, 'Gin Lane'...:eek:

All this beer needs sweeping away! :D:D I like Gin :cool: Both with Tonic, or bitters or Bitter Lemon. An old Cockney I met years ago drank it neat or with warm water...that's a bit ambitious....

This Hayman's Old Tom is like Victorian Gin i.e. slightly sweet Used to hide the raw taste or turps perhaps? I'm not entirely for it as I'm keener on the Hayman's Blue label which is the more common London Dry style. Even so, common or garden Beefeater is perfectly good. But in summer Gin is a great buzzer, come winter I never touch it, then the Bourbon is king.

mbB6gaS.jpg

Hope you find a few nice brews my friend :)

Oh I did indeed! Starting my evening celebrating all of you fine folk across the pond, particularly the British ones! A little Taddy Porter, served in English pewter and paired with a Sheffield lambsfoot and an Irish cigarillo (sorry, I left my Dunhill pipe at the office... :(). It is turning into a fine evening indeed!

f7WCYu0.jpg

For reference, see William Hogarth's famous engravings, 'Beer Street' and its counterpart, 'Gin Lane'...:eek:

All this beer needs sweeping away! :D:D I like Gin :cool: Both with Tonic, or bitters or Bitter Lemon. An old Cockney I met years ago drank it neat or with warm water...that's a bit ambitious....

This Hayman's Old Tom is like Victorian Gin i.e. slightly sweet Used to hide the raw taste or turps perhaps? I'm not entirely for it as I'm keener on the Hayman's Blue label which is the more common London Dry style. Even so, common or garden Beefeater is perfectly good. But in summer Gin is a great buzzer, come winter I never touch it, then the Bourbon is king.

mbB6gaS.jpg
Great photo!

Oh I did indeed! Starting my evening celebrating all of you fine folk across the pond, particularly the British ones! A little Taddy Porter, served in English pewter and paired with a Sheffield lambsfoot and an Irish cigarillo (sorry, I left my Dunhill pipe at the office... :(). It is turning into a fine evening indeed!

f7WCYu0.jpg
Nice picture and elements, but imho, you 'd better light that cigar with a match, Zippo stinks gasoline and would spoil the taste. :(

Nice picture and elements, but imho, you 'd better light that cigar with a match, Zippo stinks gasoline and would spoil the taste. :(

Your opinion has merit! I generally do use matches, particularly when I am smoking pipes.

This particular cigarillo is fairly cheap though and I couldn't locate my matches... Well I had some waterproof ones on hand, but those impart a worse flavor. I am on the look out for a vintage match case/box to store my smoking matches in.

The trick with Zippos is to 1.) Use only Zippos fuel and 2.) Light it and let it burn for a bit before lighting your cigar, the fumes dissipate and it doesn't impart that fuel flavor.

Back