Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

I am on the look out for a vintage match case/box to store my smoking matches in.
Thanks for getting me to look at Grampa's matchbook cover. The chemicals seem to disagree with the finish. I'll clean it and maybe silicone in a protective piece of paper. (I have to rip off the book cover to get the striking strip right side out.)
Unfortunately, Harry Bear's matchbox cover doesn't fit a modern matchbox.
A Vesta case might work, if you can still get strike-anywhere matches.
Lykoo7f.jpg

pKiNNmb.jpg

I'll add a beer picture tonight.
AyqX2xy.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I did indeed! Starting my evening celebrating all of you fine folk across the pond, particularly the British ones! A little Taddy Porter, served in English pewter and paired with a Sheffield lambsfoot and an Irish cigarillo (sorry, I left my Dunhill pipe at the office... :(). It is turning into a fine evening indeed!

f7WCYu0.jpg

Cheers Dylan :) :thumbsup:

Here's a pic of Earl Barlow I took for GT on the banks of the River Wharf at Tadcaster a while back :thumbsup:

The trick with Zippos is to 1.) Use only Zippos fuel and 2.) Light it and let it burn for a bit before lighting your cigar, the fumes dissipate and it doesn't impart that fuel flavor.

I find the trick is to replace the inner with a gas conversion! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Another great composition my friend, looks like a great night! :) :thumbsup:

Cheers Dylan :) :thumbsup:

Here's a pic of Earl Barlow I took for GT on the banks of the River Wharf at Tadcaster a while back :thumbsup:

I find the trick is to replace the inner with a gas conversion! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Another great composition my friend, looks like a great night! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack! Life is too short to not make every evening a great one. :)

I have read about the saga of Earl someplace, a stellar pic of a very fine pairing. In regards to the Zippo conversion, I have been looking to get one, as nothing beats a torch lighter for cigars when it is windy out.

Here I have a Worthy ale paired with quite the worthy knife.

WpH7qXc.jpg

Haven't posted much in this thread lately, but there've been some good looking libations. :thumbsup:

Had some good Texas beer at my cousin's wedding reception tonight, while carrying my Tidioute #13 Whittler in Muslin Micarta.

SYI1IUB.jpg

Thanks, Jack! Life is too short to not make every evening a great one. :)

I have read about the saga of Earl someplace, a stellar pic of a very fine pairing. In regards to the Zippo conversion, I have been looking to get one, as nothing beats a torch lighter for cigars when it is windy out.

Here I have a Worthy ale paired with quite the worthy knife.

WpH7qXc.jpg

Nicely put Dylan :) My gas unit burns so it looks just like a regular Zippo, but you can get the other sort too. The Zippo was a gift from Paul H, but since I don't use it all the time, a gas insert made sense for me :) Earl had quite a run, and it's a shame we don't get to see him anymore, but I would have definitely kept him away from your Rosie, he had a certain reputation if you know what I mean! :eek: ;) :D :thumbsup:

^ Very nice :) I like the look of that Otter FB too, not seen one before I don't think :thumbsup:

A tasty beverage for sure, but a chewy one, a sharer really, somewhere between a Barley Wine, an Imperial Russian Stout, and a Lambic beer, very complex :thumbsup:

Sounds rather heavenly. Nice choice of knives too! Though I don't recognize the one in wood...

I am laid up with a bit of a fever at the moment so it's lots of water for me presently. Hoping to kick it soon as I am supposed to go to the pub with some friends this evening where a traditional Irish band is going to be playing.

tmd_87 tmd_87 glad to see some high quality H2O featured here. That's my most frequent beverage choice. :D

btb01 btb01 good to see you here. From the pics here and in the totin' thread it seems like you had a great evening. :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black a quite intriguing brew! Thanks for the description. The cutlery and grand piece of opener hardware match up nicely with it, I think.

A.L. A.L. nice knife and great job on the sheath. I'm a fan of Weihenstephaner, too. I haven't seen or tried the Vitus though. Worth seeking out?

Pàdruig Pàdruig sorry to hear you're under the weather. I hope you bounce back in time for your evening plans. Take care.

Back