BHQ M4 Shaman!?!

You're welcome. I kinda thought it worth comparing.

To be honest neither am I. I know this might be blasphemy in these parts. But I never warmed up to the Native5 for much the same reasons. I do like the Native though....

I hope I like the Shamen. Cause it's too late now. LOL!

n5gnI3U.jpg

It's hard to judge without the knife in hand, but it seems that it could have used more of a distal taper. The portion that is so thick at the spine is unlikely to take much lateral force, but of course may be hammered on by those who use their folders for such in camp or elsewhere.

I hope you do like and enjoy the knife, BIOG, and again thanks for the images. I find them useful in evaluating this pattern, (which I've never handled or owned).

From BHQ on the Spyderco forum:

Wanted to do a quick post in here and clarify a few things, as well as let you know that Blade HQ is committed to continually improving our processes, bringing you the knives you want and working to make things as fair as possible.

First off, thank you for all the support over the years. We obviously wouldn't be able to do these exclusives without the support of Spyderco putting up with our wild ideas and of course our customers.

Concerning the most recent Shaman release, we did set a cart limit, but there was a software glitch we are looking into that allowed 2 customers to order more than the limit, which was set to 3 knives per person. Hindsight is 50/50 and if we had known this would sell out in minutes, we would have adjusted that limit to 1. There were 2 cases where customers for some reason were able to get 4 pcs, and again, we are looking into how that happened. At the time we placed the order with Spyderco for this Shaman run, which was in 2017, we made what we felt was an informed decision to order the quantity we ordered, based on speculated demand and sales of the standard model.

One (plus) year later, we find out it wasn't enough! Ideally, these knives are landing in the hands of the people that really want them and we will continue to try and balance supply and demand to meet those needs, but it is not an exact science. For reference, less than 2% of the orders bought 3 or 4 knives, 11% bought 2 and the rest bought one knife.

Hopefully this clears some things up. We will continue to push and promote Spyderco, a definite employee favorite here at BHQ. We've got a lot of exciting knives planned with Spyderco that I think you will all enjoy. Hopefully we've ordered enough to go around! Thanks again!

-Jacob

But you put the pocket clip on the wrong side :p

I had to though. His new friends were making fun of him. "reject, your color is bad"

It's not my fault 90% of you are backward. :p

Color is good. Much better than Jade. Centering, much better than factory.

5X7SqZE.jpg

iGNncFK.jpg

Nice work! That turned out great! :cool: :thumbsup: How translucent is it? Would you mind sharing your recipe? Dye color, time, vinegar (or not?), heat? I'm aiming for a similar result, and have some of the Royal Blue All-purpose RIT on hand, hoping it will work and I won't need to go buy something else. TIA!

Hey man, welcome to BF! :) Great first post! :thumbsup: ;)

Since we're making assumptions here, I might say that you clearly look like a Shabazzzz fanboi with that opening post. o_O See how that works? :eek: Not cool, is it? :p

Now with that out of the way, congrats on the knife. :cool: Where did I ever say I was upset about this? Nowhere, because I didn't. Yes, I said I was slightly annoyed. But upset? No, please, there's a HUGE difference between the two! I might be the only one speaking up about this here, but I can assure you, others elsewhere definitely agree with me. We've moved past this already, so let's drop it and let it go (again). ;)

I just rea
But you put the pocket clip on the wrong side :p

And it'll ride upside down. So wrong!

Nice work! That turned out great! :cool: :thumbsup: How translucent is it? Would you mind sharing your recipe? Dye color, time, vinegar (or not?), heat? I'm aiming for a similar result, and have some of the Royal Blue All-purpose RIT on hand, hoping it will work and I won't need to go buy something else. TIA!

It's pretty opaque now. I used Rit DyeMore sapphire blue. Half a bottle with about as much water. (very concentrated) No vinegar. I did it in my garage microwave. Brought it to a boil 4 times with a slight cooldown in between. I'm not sure about the time. "till it looked right".

Cleaned the scales with near boiling water and Dawn. Rinsed in boiling water. Then cleaned again with denatured alcohol and handled with gloves after that.

JY4HviN.jpg

Here's some comparison photos against some other largish folders.

20190323_084705-1209x1612.jpg
Manix 2
20190323_084656-1209x1612.jpg PM2

20190323_084649-1209x1612.jpg
Shaman

20190323_084621-1209x1612.jpg
Compared to the dynamic duo

20190323_084335-1512x2016.jpg
Group photo top to bottom: ZT 0804, ZT 0561, HTM DDR Gunhammer, PM2, Manix 2, Shaman

20190323_084842-1209x1612.jpg The 0804 is way longer, about the same thickness.

20190323_084802-1209x1612.jpg
There Shaman is about 1/8" *thicker than the PM2.

*edit

Last edited:
It depends on how deep/dark the color is. I'm pretty sure I got good penetration so I think it would take more than normal wear and tear to make a difference.

Anyone know how these jade scales wear or change over time? I’m curious what they might look like (if they’re different at all) after a year of being carried.

Anyone know how these jade scales wear or change over time? I’m curious what they might look like (if they’re different at all) after a year of being carried.
They look very good. I have a few different knives with them (PM2 Lum Tanto, Leafstorm) that have all seen good pocket time and they're not grubby.

Back