Bill Bagwell Knives

Ken

Now in retrospect I see the humor

But I know Bill pretty well and he wouldn't :)

Now that I know the intent was for amusement I get it ..... I'm slow sometimes

Naw, Joe, you are as sharp as they come. It was just a somewhat obscure reference that you had to be familiar with to "get the joke." That article has actually been discussed on several threads here at BF over the years, and on other forums. But still pretty obscure. And it is pretty easy to get a laugh out of me.

I wanted to buy this one, but I have a doubt about the origin of the handle,

With out knowing the backstory I thought it was pretty damn funny.

If I thought the post would hurt Bills reputation or business I would not find it funny. It just came off as plain dumb and silly coming from a human being and I had no choice but to laugh. Maybe you guys need to lighten up, or maybe i'm insensitive. :p

Naw, Joe, you are as sharp as they come. It was just a somewhat obscure reference that you had to be familiar with to "get the joke." That article has actually been discussed on several threads here at BF over the years, and on other forums. But still pretty obscure. And it is pretty easy to get a laugh out of me.

Thanks Ken

But I'm a bit slow at times :)

That was pretty good had me going for a while. :rolleyes:

i owned two ontario models before i started collecting the real ones, somewhere around 2006. i think his comment on modification pertained to the ontarios. even so, cannot imagine any modification that would have made them better. there is such a huge difference between them, the ontarios are kind of toyish by comparison. they look kind of similar, but do not perform the same. ( yes i have chopped and stabbed in the woods with both!) here are some pics of my two favorites. these styles are uncommon for bill to make. a long thin satans lace, and a double edge.

Great to see both your rare and unique Bagwells. Congrats. :thumbup:

I wanted to buy this one, but I have a doubt about the origin of the handle,
Too bad about the re-handle…
looks like a nice piece of cocobolo, Allain.

Doug

One of my grails....a satin lace Bagwell....someday hopefully.

i owned two ontario models before i started collecting the real ones, somewhere around 2006. i think his comment on modification pertained to the ontarios. even so, cannot imagine any modification that would have made them better. there is such a huge difference between them, the ontarios are kind of toyish by comparison. they look kind of similar, but do not perform the same. ( yes i have chopped and stabbed in the woods with both!) here are some pics of my two favorites. these styles are uncommon for bill to make. a long thin satans lace, and a double edge.

The Studded is worthy of the greatest and beautiful that I saw Bowie for what he represents and all the emotion that I was watching .
Bill Bagwell is forever ...

Knowing Bill I don't think he would find this amusing in the least

I laughed at it. It is a running joke on some forums that a knife is defective, so you should send it to me.

Send me your Bagwell and I'll send you a $25 "Improved" knife that is just a "modified" version of your knife.

I laughed when I saw the "finished mod".

Great to see this thread pop back up!

I got to go back through and look at all the pics again!

There was nothing obscure about Bill's article as knife editor in SOF detailing how to improve the venerable and highly respected W49 used by many who actually used or use or will use a bowie out where a bowie would be needed. It garnered a huge amount of attention and led to many modified knives both then and today. It is also preserved in his "Bowies, Big Knives, and the best of Battle Blades" book. These great pals of Bill's seem never to have even read his one book, probably sits unread in a trophy case next to all the unused knives.

There is nothing obscure either as to a satyrical post in modifying a Bagwell into a W49.

The outrage came only from ignorance. And why Bill does not have time for forums anymore. And i stand by what i said that Bill would find a post detailing modifying one of his knives into a W49 quite funny and unfortunately the fanboy rock throwing typical of forums as well. Trust me, one rich collector ain't the only person in the world who knows Bill. I get really peeved when somebody starts acting like Bill's astral self and inner medium and the only one wealthy enough to be allowed into his glorious inner sanctum (and probably because he has half of Bill's backlog for the next couple of years locked up all by himself). Bill is very accessible and his phone number is out there and he loves to talk, especially to a sincere customer, just don't waste his time....at 72.

Those just posted knives are absolutely stunning and are treasures for sure. You must be one proud papa, Woodster...and DS, very cool old skinner from Vivian days, check your PMs elsewhere.

posted elsewhere but what the heck....working grade knife of wootz for folk who use them more than for a trophy room.

Last edited:
Rather than as a wallhangar or trophy case display for the Cape Buffalo hunting set, let me mention a few things as to why Bill's knives have always been geared primarily to those who want a superb forged weapon far above most.

And before anyone once again mentions other smiths making good bowies, I remember back in 1987 when he was giving very nice press to newcomers such as Jerry Fisk, helping them along. But truthfully, most other bowie makers today are for the wealthy collector, the knives not geared towards actual mortal combat in blade and edge geometry, weight distribution, fit to the buyer, etc., I cannot offhand think of a still active one who has seriously studied knife fighting at all, and frankly, they have adopted what amounts to one man factory production techniques as for production of large wootz billets with presses, welding chunks to blades, heat treat in sophisticated ovens using sophisticated steels geared to easily oven treat due to similarity of metal treatments etc. While Bill still goes out to the shop and forges out each knife from scratch and to order. For the life of me, I cannot see how folk who scoff at one size fits all work boots say an actual fighting knife made to fit is useless and a waste of money. Your feet, your life, which is more important.

So, Bill fits the knife to the owner so that it becomes an extension of will. And his knives of today are more advanced than they were even when he was acknowledged blade master of fighting bowies 30yrs back.

Today, obviously the handle will be geared in shape and diameter towards which hand, and the hand size. So that it comes more straight back on dominant hand side and flares away on oppposite. Also the bevels more pronounced on preferred hand side. Likewise, the top will come back straighter, while bottom flares away....AND handle angles down in back, relative to blade, much as a Randall #1. But many more subtleties than a basically/comparatively straightforward #1 has, both in handle and especially the blade.

The blade is much a short sabre, still showing its distant origins as well as fighting techniques. Added to actual handle-centerline to blade-centerline angle, the spine dips down and then back up to clip. While edge is a continuous curve arcing down all the way to belly curve up to point. This presents a fearsome kukhuri-type leading/trailing edge combo out front, the edge well ahead of handle centerline in a chop. The clip combined with blade drop puts point at centerline of handle or even slightly below.

The handground by feel blade will be close to convex steepening at edge, rather than dead flat to convex edge, and also of stronger geometry out front where a beating might be expected from hacking/chopping blows. But still wicked out front as only a good handforged blade can muster due to superior steel worked under the hammer, and all marvelously enhanced by sophisticated heat treat of hard edge, spring temper back, a tough elongated diamond point which splits the difference, and softer ricasso/spine, a knife made to take a beating which would leave others in pieces, and a critical gradual blending of all tempers, rather than abrupt steel weakening change.

It is a true shame that the amazing has been lost. When these folk burst on the scene in press in the late 60s/early 70s, what their knives could do and endure was pure legendary blade stuff, and that angle was heavily and rightly pushed. And many mastersmiths still can crank out that quality today, BUT, the user angle not pushed at all, instead are gold encrusted engraved collector blades fit(and priced)for royal pretenders, and modern wondersteels, still nowhere close to a master forged blade, are heavily promoted, as the only affordable alternative.

As for affordable, keep in mind several things. Bob Loveless had, in 1971 a $150 boot knife which was $2000 by 1978. Also keep in mind that Bill Bagwell at height of health could make one HB in two weeks (the guard alone taking a week), and a more standard bowie in a week.....and he is far far off that stroke today....AND is self employed and own insurance and retirement contributions and etc....which is why currently he cannot even afford to make a $2000 carbon steel bowie which does not even put groceries on the table at current production speed. So, when you look at a $3000 wootz basic bowie such as mine, and think of a 72yr old man with heart problems in a forge in Texas summer heat, and how many current weeks it might take to make such a knife, $3000 does not even begin to touch what the knife is worth. How do you put a value on that?.........and how many here have not dropped three grand on other far less worthy toys in the last three years?

With the blade made to order as a real user, this blade is 0.300" thick at ricasso which starts immediate distal taper, spine still 0.220" thick at clip origin, and slow, then more radical taper to tough tip which is 11 3/16ths" from center of guard. But still, knife manages to weigh 1 lb on the nose and is as fast and balanced as a Randall 1-8. An incredible feat of armorer smithing.

The above is not meant as a treatise as to what anyone else's knife would be, as length, depth, taper, clip length, etc would all be adjusted per individual both to suit weight and balance, and to suit knife style ordered. Instead, it is a treatise on the generally unsuspected finesse which goes into every knife he makes. Personally, I fence very little with a bowie, and the odds of my dueling a similarly armed opponent needing his blade trapped would be laughable. So, the most sophisticated modern fighting bowie was not ordered, but rather, the most sophisticated 1830-1840 bowie was ordered. And ordered as a user. And not a concealment piece or specialized dueling weapon. It still happens to be a superb a weapon as it was in the early 1800s, which also is the best large woods/camp knife a person could ever desire, and unbeatable combat/utility knife. It will chop and split, it makes a great short machete, and as well a wonderful fireside chef knife, finer edge in back, generous choil easily choked up upon with thumb past low top guard and resting on thick spine, a great adventure knife.....that is stone cold lethal.

Last edited:
It is true Bill has forgotten more about making high performance blades than most makers today will ever know

He is a great guy and has done so much for the art of the Bowie knife....... More than anyone I can think of besides old Jim Bowie himself :)

I too have a dream of owning a bagwell like this ^

Gorgeous

Bill is not getting any younger or faster, and I advise calling him asap to place an order for ANYONE who has even a hope of getting a knife from him. His number is listed earlier in this thread and also over at Mike Sastre's River City Sheaths site under i think his Southern Comfort sheath for Ontario and true Bagwell bowies. As far as I know, he is the last active, and possibly even living, member of the literal handful of founders of the ABS. A legend.

Last edited:
Bill is not getting any younger or faster, and I advise calling him asap to place an order for ANYONE who has even a hope of getting a knife from him. His number is listed earlier in this thread and also over at Mike Sastre's River City Sheaths site under i think his Southern Comfort sheath for Ontario and true Bagwell bowies. As far as I know, he is the last active, and possibly even living, member of the literal handful of founders of the ABS. A legend.

This has been a dream of mine since I was 16 lol
Unfortunately it will have to be a dream from a while longer.
Although a tailor made bowie like the one above is beautiful.

Mr. Paranee has some of mr. Wheelers and deroiser I'd like as well ;)

Back