Bill Bagwell Knives

I am not qualified to speak of which would be better between forged damascus and carbon steel. In Bill's book he speaks of Damascus being man killing steel and he also says for general use it is hard to go wrong with a properly forged carbon blade. I think both would serve well and the diferences would be negligable.

yea, I was just wondering. I'd love to see one with a temper line would be beautiful but sure :p. I do love his damascus. Would be great to know what the edge retention is like. Would the damascus hold a better edge than his forged?

from my experienced with his damacuss vs carbon steel. they are pretty much on far in terms of edge retention. however, the damacuss does seems to offer better tranish/rust resistance. i was camping in CA this summer beside the ocean. if you leave your carbon blade out overnight, it will start to tranish pretty noticeable.

I've got get me that book, Joe. As of now, I can only think of damascus as being drop-dead gorgeous and a wallet-killer, but not any more or less dangerous than any other steel.

from my experienced with his damacuss vs carbon steel. they are pretty much on far in terms of edge retention. however, the damacuss does seems to offer better tranish/rust resistance. i was camping in CA this summer beside the ocean. if you leave your carbon blade out overnight, it will start to tranish pretty noticeable.

I'm no expert, so this is just my take and please correct me if my logic is flawed as I'm here to try and learn!

That would just be a property of the metal and nothing I would suspect as being a true difference by just being a damascus blade. Example a forged strait W2 blade vs damascus W2 and another steal/alloy, the W2 in the damascus blade would corrode just the same as the forged strait W2 blade with the exception of the other alloy which might or might not be more corrosion resistant in the damascus blade (multiple steals of different compositions). I would say a forged block of billet is less likely to have weak spots and would be more durable as opposed to a damascus however damascus blades done properly would also be strong.

I don't see damascus being "as" strong since you get variations between the differing levels/strengths of steels but then that could also be a strength.

I've got get me that book, Joe. As of now, I can only think of damascus as being drop-dead gorgeous and a wallet-killer, but not any more or less dangerous than any other steel.

I agree. I am just saying what Bill in his book says. To me sharp is sharp I think Bill just likes the sound of that. I think what he means is that due to the expense of a damascus blade and the difficulty in touching up scratches his damascus bowie's lend themselves to being carried for defesive reasons not hard use beaters. Not that they would not hold up but I personally would not go beat on any blade that costs that much. But if I needed to defend myself I would not care about the consequences of useing the blade or maring the finish. Again I can not speak for Bill I am only guessing what he means by this statement

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity what do Bagwell Bowies run on average?

I know they are expensive but have never seen a price.

I think his forged carbon start around 1600 and damascus 2000 and up. There are some guys on the board who have recently got or ordered blades that can tell you more current prices. IMHO His knives have never been better than his current work

I'm no expert, so this is just my take and please correct me if my logic is flawed as I'm here to try and learn!

That would just be a property of the metal and nothing I would suspect as being a true difference by just being a damascus blade. Example a forged strait W2 blade vs damascus W2 and another steal/alloy, the W2 in the damascus blade would corrode just the same as the forged strait W2 blade with the exception of the other alloy which might or might not be more corrosion resistant in the damascus blade (multiple steals of different compositions). I would say a forged block of billet is less likely to have weak spots and would be more durable as opposed to a damascus however damascus blades done properly would also be strong.

I don't see damascus being "as" strong since you get variations between the differing levels/strengths of steels but then that could also be a strength.

Here's a past thread that offers information on the subject of damascus vs carbon steel and also has some good eye candy.

Damascus steel being that the etched layer is an oxide is less prone to corrosion than carbon steel.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494850

Last edited:
Here's a past thread that offers information on the subject of damascus vs carbon steel and also has some good eye candy.

Damascus steel being that the etched layer is an oxide is less prone to corrosion than carbon steel.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494850

I am still trying to figure this out so please excuse the dumb questions.
Isn't oxidization a process of corrosion? Is that oxide formed as a result of the forge welding of two seperate steal leading to an oxide forming (galvanic corrosion? I believe this is the term I'm looking for?) or a result of the flux used? If so wouldn't the blade be inherently weaker since there is a oxide forming between two contact points? Or on the blade?

Or is the oxide the result of etching of the metals (the etchent)? I would think that the etching of the steel would remove any oxide on the blade leaving the blade more prone to corrosion.

I would like to see two blades using the same material one damascus and one not placed in a controled environment for a corrosion test, it is something that would be interesting to see!

This is very interesting but the link you gave me made me ask more questions.
I think you need to just put it into Infantry terms ie "Damascus blade, GOOD!".:D:D

I forged welded a blade from cable. I etched it with muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) and then let is soak in hot TSP overnight to help neutralize any acid. I then rubbed down the blade with baking soda to confirm excellence. I did a little more works to clean up the blade and kept it dry only to realize that it was extremely prone to corrosion and very very sensitive to fingerprints as well as rust. I combated this with the use of automotive car wax after polishing any corrosion off. The wax worked wonders and the steel was pretty but it did not lend to corrosion resistence by merely being forge welded and etched with various steels in there from my personal observation. Of course this could just be the result of the properties of the steel cable I used but then the oxide should still protect against corrosion?

This is a complicated subject!!!! I wish I knew more and had a better understanding of metalurgy!

Thanks for the help and please excuse my spelling!

Just out of curiosity what do Bagwell Bowies run on average?

I know they are expensive but have never seen a price.
carbon is running $1500 and damascus starts at $2500. it probably costs more to get stag.

i have not had any rust problems on my Bagwell yet. his mirror finish might not be the prettiest finish but it seems to protect it from rust. i have not took it camping or anything like mentioned before though. the only damascus blade i have is a fighter by Kevin Cashen and it has not rusted yet.

i noticed when i carried a satin finished busse in kydex it rusted but straight carbon steel in leather doesn't. the kydex allows more sweat to reach the blade.

here is a crappy pic of my HB
pictures007.jpg

Crossada that is a great knife. Thanks for posting it. You are right Bill's mirror polish is not perfect but It does seem to keep corrosion to a minimum. I have an old carbon piece that the polish is almost perfect. Alot of years and flitz probalr brought it to that level.

carbon is running $1500 and damascus starts at $2500. it probably costs more to get stag.

i have not had any rust problems on my Bagwell yet. his mirror finish might not be the prettiest finish but it seems to protect it from rust. i have not took it camping or anything like mentioned before though. the only damascus blade i have is a fighter by Kevin Cashen and it has not rusted yet.

i noticed when i carried a satin finished busse in kydex it rusted but straight carbon steel in leather doesn't. the kydex allows more sweat to reach the blade.

here is a crappy pic of my HB
pictures007.jpg

So his prices are comparable to Shiva Ki's. The way people talked I was thinking his prices are much much steeper.

when you consider the level of craftmanship and more importantly design i find Bill's knives to be a steal. after getting the HB i would probably be willing to pay double the amount if i had to but that is just me:foot:

Helle's Bell with stag handle all damascus fittings and damascus blade is costing me 2800 USD. Hope it's worth it :p :D

pootsy until you ordered yours I think mine was the only one of that configuration. I am pumped to see your new blade

Last edited:
tbh I got my inspiration for mine from yours. When I saw yours my jaw dropped and I just felt that is the Bowie of all Bowies. If it was me I'd be slightly annoyed that someone has stole that style off me and the fact that it is the only one :p Think mine will have an 11.5 inch blade though. Think yours was 10.5 inch yea?
It was a lot of money for a student to find. I told my parents that it was only 2000 USD.
Whats your stag like as a handle??

No worries I do not mind at all. Well maybe a little:D. I am anxious to see yours and I know you will like it. I have alot of knives and that knife is probale my favorite. I love the feeling of the stag and it seems to grow right out of my hand. Very good grip and I know you will be more than happy. 10.5 is right and I am happy for ya bro enjoy.

:DYea i love the colour of her sheaths. Like a blood colour. Ya can near tell the height of someone from the length of a blade of a Bagwell bowie. :D Yea well ya should be happy that your knife is so beautiful that a boy from Northern Ireland has put a right bit of effort into getting a Bagwell :D

i totally agreed, but i am just saying this from my experience...:confused: i will get some pic any maybe folks here can tell us.

Back