"Black Box" Winchesters

Hope reviving this thread is not a problem, but I wanted to share a few that I picked up recently. I dove deep into the information in this thread and in other areas, and got very interested in this series. In short, I’m extremely impressed with the quality of the black box Winchesters, and I’m happy to own these four pictured below.

The first one I picked up was this little swell center pen knife. This seemed the best one to test out the series to see if I was actually interested or not. Needless to say, it holds up against its reputation as a great, pocketable pattern.

Model #2903 from the year 1990.

IMG-2912.jpg

IMG-2920.jpg

Next, I tried out this swell center, splitback whittler. This type of pattern is generally my favorite from a technical perspective. I figure if a maker can handle a complex pattern like this well, they’re doing great. Of course, the Winchester version is fantastic!

Model #3971 from the year 1989.

IMG-2935.jpg

IMG-2955.jpg

Shortly after, I gave this small gunstock a try. I’m normally not a fan of gunstock patterns, but this one seemed like a nice addition to the collection. This particular one was a bit rough, with some decent gaps between the covers and liners. Even still, it feels really solid and makes an excellent coin-pocket carry. I like that this one sports an end cap as well. REALLY great action on this one too!

Model #2851 from the year 1988.

IMG-2969.jpg

Most recently, I picked up this three-spring whittler (or is this pattern called something else). I’m very impressed with how stout this one feels and how well it fits my hand. Absolutely love the full size clip and spey, and the pen blade is pretty sizable too. This one may be in the best condition when it arrived to me, showing only minor patina on the pins and liners. Great action as well on this one.

Model 3904 from the year 1988.

IMG-3061.jpg
Like Charlie said there are some wonderful Primbles to be had if you enjoy the Winchesters. Some case classics too if I’m not mistaken.

IMG_2578.jpeg

17129003921393092934281709803556.jpgmy newest 2903,obviously I get alot requests for knives being sent to me because of our perfect climate,some say specifically designed for preservation of bone and metal,naturally I can't take them all but what I can do is extend our hospitality to the roger bone winchester, that bone was rescued for a reason,let me continue the legacy. So if you have any your looking to sell to good hands I'm game.remember your doing your knife a favor.

View attachment 2548854my newest 2903,obviously I get alot requests for knives being sent to me because of our perfect climate,some say specifically designed for preservation of bone and metal,naturally I can't take them all but what I can do is extend our hospitality to the roger bone winchester, that bone was rescued for a reason,let me continue the legacy. So if you have any your looking to sell to good hands I'm game.remember your doing your knife a favor.
I'd have to say that collecting GECs is my favorite, but right behind them in a real close 2nd is collecting Black Box Winchesters!! I've always been amazed at the level of quality you get for such good prices. Obviously in the last year or two the prices have went up substantially, but you can still find a great NOS, made fantastic, in carbon steel, for around $100 (sometimes less, sometimes more). I really need to take an entire collection photo. This is one of my faves.
1000014886.jpg

I'd have to say that collecting GECs is my favorite, but right behind them in a real close 2nd is collecting Black Box Winchesters!! I've always been amazed at the level of quality you get for such good prices. Obviously in the last year or two the prices have went up substantially, but you can still find a great NOS, made fantastic, in carbon steel, for around $100 (sometimes less, sometimes more). I really need to take an entire collection photo. This is one of my faves.
View attachment 2548879
I’d love to see a family photo if you get a chance. Always fun to see several patterns at a time 😃.

There is/was a photo showing all the knives in the Utica Bone series (1987-92 ) way back in this thread.
Notice how the tangs are stamped with just 4 numbers. The boxes are black with red lettering.
I may have it and some other photos of the whole series. I'll have to look. Meanwhile....................

Last edited:
Back