"Black Box" Winchesters

Wow! There are some great looking knives in this topic!

Originally before I picked up a S & M sowbelly I had considered the Winchester one as displayed in post 15 of this topic for a few reasons. First, it was less expensive. Second, they seemed fairly well built and lastly I believe I read it had carbon blades.

So, does anyone have any info on the steel used for these knives and also can indicate the level of fit & finish compared to, say, other knives built by Queen or Case?

Thanks!

Fit and finish on mine is comparable to S&M on average, and as far as I know all the Queen made Winchesters are 1095.

Here is a pic of the knife i asked about yesterday, post #98:
b667_3-1.jpg

i have been unable to find any reference to this knife here or in OPGCK 15th Price/Zalesky section on the B.G. repros. or as an original Winchester pattern.
also, i have not previously seen a Winchester with a coin shield.
there were no other bidders for this knife, which makes me wonder if there is something here of which i am unaware.
so is anybody familiar with this B.G. black box repro ? year of production ? Queen ? or something fishy here ?
thanks, roland

Never seen a brown delrin in a 2piece black box... The black delrin Winchesters made by Utica are satin finished and not quite as nice as the Queen models; but come in a square collapsable box. What do the tangs say?

Mike Latham
CollectorKnives.Net

ba56_12.jpg

bcf9_12.jpg

knife is marked 19015; black box: Blue Grass Winchester with W20 19015, so it matches up. but this knife in Delrin !! and doesn't look as "sharp" as the others in this series; and was 19015 ever a Winchester pattern ? the only original Winchester Folding Hunter i can find is a Swell Center (pattern #1920); but cannot find it in this Clasp pattern.
so what's up here ??
roland

A couple more. A 89 Sowbelly.
Greg

orig.jpg

That right there my friend is my wish knife. I want a sowbelly like crazy and that one is just...wow. great knife you have there. Maybe someday I'll find one like that.

I probably should have started this thread with the name of "Black Box Winchesters" but what the heck. Here's a 4 1/4" Moose.
Greg

orig.jpg

This would be my ideal two bladed knife. Cant go wrong with this one.

Found another. The 3902 made in 1990. Measures 3 1/2" closed. Nice little whittler. These fellas don't have stainless steel blades.
Greg

orig.jpg

And this my friend is my whittler of choice. You have a beautiful collection of knives. If your ever gonna get rid of some...:D

A Stockman-Whittler! Very cool Greg; is that bone or rough black??

It's the same bone as the other "Black Box" knives Winchester produced from 1987 to 1991. I had a thread showing a whole bunch of the patterns from the series a few months ago. It's really a very dark brown but does look almost black depending on how the light hits it.
Greg

It's the same bone as the other "Black Box" knives Winchester produced from 1987 to 1991. I had a thread showing a whole bunch of the patterns from the series a few months ago. It's really a very dark brown but does look almost black depending on how the light hits it.
Greg

Merged 'em for you, Greg. Hope you don't mind. :cool:

Were the brass bolstered black box Winchesters made by Queen or Camillus? Picked up a couple, each seems to be in celebration of a classic Winchester firearm.

Greg

If the light hits'em just right, sometimes they look YELLOW!
And BIG (4 1/4")! ;)

BlackBoxWinYellowCong1.jpg

BlackBoxWinYellowCong2.jpg

Thanks Blues !! The dark bone is sometimes called Utica bone. Whether it is old stock that Utica had and Blue Grass got it from them or not I can't say for sure. It seems to be on the knives produced from 1987 to 1992.
Greg

Last edited:
RE: the Winchester Folding Hunter 19015 jigged Delrin with Blue Grass black box i posted about above; i emailed Blue Grass and they answered saying they would "look into it" and get back to me. that was some weeks ago and no further correspondance has been received.
so i ask the knowledgeable readers here if anyone has any info on this knife, or even if you have seen another.
thanks, roland

Back