Bladeforums Best Hunter - 2016. FINALISTS CHOSEN

Hello everyone, this will be the second year for the Bladeforums Best Hunter. Last year was a great showing , and we ended up with a tie for the first place knife.

Hunters can be very well thought out and complex pieces that rival their "big brother" Bowies in beauty. They can also be subdued and subtle.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is about celebrating the quality and diversity of the genre, and the talented bladesmiths and knifemakers who make hunter knives. There may be a broad definition of what a hunter should look like, but to keep things simple, if a maker has classified their knife as a hunter then it will qualify for our competition.

Both stock removal and forged blades are equally welcome. Daggers are excluded, as are Khukuris, Bowies, and traditional Tantos.

Requirements are:

1) Defined by the maker as a hunter. It can be hidden or full tang, with or without a guard.

2) Knife must have been made or first shown on Bladeforums in 2016.

3) Must be a custom knife.

PLEASE DO: number each knife in each post, starting with the number 1.

PLEASE DO NOT quote earlier posts and reproduce the images contained therein (this really messes up the voting for finalists.

Nominate as many as you like!

Here are a few to get started:

1) Daniel Rohde hunter
161209_Daniel_Rohde_001.jpg

2) TK Steingass hunter

Schaefer-DH_zpscvp67tls.jpg

3) Marc Aldrich hunter

_MRA6762.jpg

4) Ben Seward hunter

29817874276_ae05e8e7fd_c.jpg

5) John Doyle hunter

1_zpsj5n3m6xv.jpg

Last edited:
#1) Salem Straub, forge welded integral, cocobolo

attachment.php

Attachments

• SSBH.jpg
    SSBH.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 839
No expectation of winning this, but I did this knife for a friend on disability. He's an avid hunter. I forged this out of a grader blade scavenged at the cabin. The handle is from an old gun stock found at the cabin as well. He was thrilled with the knife, but unfortunately, didn't get to use it on a kill as industry has decimated the forest around the cabin in the past decade.

#1:

31394641141_b09e677122_k.jpg
[/url]IMG_0509 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr[/IMG]

I gotta nominate this collab hunter from Matthew Gregory and John Doyle. Such a cool, clean piece.

The top 2 are the same one:

Last edited:
Excellent - glad to see this thread back.

One nomination from my Facebook feed yesterday:

1. Lin Rhea, Stag Hunter

orig.jpg

I would like to nominate this Scagel style upswept hunter, both photos are of the same knife just different sides, thank you for your consideration.

Knife #1

20160821_072723_2.jpg 20160821_070739_2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, what a great start! Such a variety so far. I can only hope for this to be as exciting as last year.

Karl, would you mind editing your post, and leaving your top two pictures as #1? This will make it easier when it comes time vote.

A custom piece for a longtime customer.
CTSB75P, 416 SS fittings, and burgundy Micarta.

large.jpg

Last edited:
^^^ That has Danbo written all over it. Might not be his, but I guarantee he wishes it was. Beautiful knife.

^^^ That has Danbo written all over it. Might not be his, but I guarantee he wishes it was. Beautiful knife.

Made for a friend of his. Danbo's 3V camp knife was, I think, the inspiration....

Last edited:
My choice for hunter nominations tend to be more aggressive :)

I only own two of these knives

1) Lurquin

2) Lurquin

3) David Mirabile John Sharp Hunter

4) Claude Bouchonville

5) Lurquin

6) Ben Seward

7) Lurquin (My knife)

8) Claude Bouchonville

Last edited:
Here are a couple that I did this year that will qualify!
#1 Damascus and walrus ivory with scrim by Linda Karst Stone, 8 1/2"OAL

#2 Damascus puukko with walrus ivory, mammoth ivory and copper spacers handle.9" OAL

And an action shot from the client!

Last edited:
Thanks Shane, I'm honored.

Man oh man, here we go. Well, just about anything from John Doyle, DHlll, Shane, Will Morrison, Erik Markman, Claude B., E. Scott McGhee, Lin, Karl and Sam will do for starters. But this is a category full of talent. All I can do is mention a couple that left my shop this year.

1. W2 and koa hunter

2. 01 and War Wood hunter

Another angle

Last edited:
Back