Bladeforums Best Hunter - 2016. FINALISTS CHOSEN

Last minute but heartfelt:

Post 7-1, Rhea. Slim, trim and just right for smaller game and careful cuts on bigger game.

Post 16-1, Morrisson. Simple, functional lines and beautiful blend of materials.

Post 32-3, Haley DesRosiers. A perfect bird and trout knife with a handle shaped for precision work and an integral build to boot.

Post 37-1, Fisk. Ornate sure, but gorgeous materials and time tested function.

Post 40-1, Seward. All business and the knife of Ben's this year I'd like to have in the field.

Post 41-1, Doyle. A tough pick among John's many hunters, this one seems to highlight his attention to refined details.

Post 46-1, Adam DesRosiers. A solid and practical beauty. Great lines, materials and build.

I really wanted to include one of Claude Bouchonville's knives (15-4?) but just couldn't wrap my head around it as a hunter.

Very hard choices to make with so many wonderful knives to choose from.

Post 2, #1 - Salem Straub - Integral drop point with incredible damascus pattern blade.
Post 19, #1 - Robbins - Integral keyhole with fantastic damascus pattern blade.
Post 37, #1 - Fisk - damascus, Ivory and engraving this piece truly has it all.
Post 1, #2 - Steingass - Loveless drop point hunter has alway been one of my favorites and this with amber stag is one of the nicest I've seen.
Post 36, #7- Sandro Boeck - Absolutely incredible damascus pattern, I love it.
Post 11, #1 - Appleby - Scagel style knife and sheath, this as close to The real McCoy as I think I have seen, simply beautiful.
Post 8, #1 - Hanson - Yes, this is the one I submitted, I love Scagel knives, I would love to see more people making more of them.

Fierce competition here- really. This was, as others have mentioned, is just as difficult as selecting bowie finalists.

Post #1, Knife #2- TK Steingass Stag hunter

Post #3, Knife #2- D. Ellis

Post #9, Knife #2- Cody Hofsommer

Post #19, Knife #1- Landon Robbins

Post #31, Knife #1- Scott Gallagher

Post #32, Knife #3- Haley DesRosiers

Post #41, Knife #1- J. Doyle

As someone else stated, this was more difficult that the bowie selection. And that was not easy!

My personal tastes tend toward guardless and simple lines, but that's not carved in stone. There are so many beautiful hunters in this thread, I could have chosen dozens I really liked.

post 2 #1 Salem Straub. Clean, simple lines, subdued wood that is offset/complimented by the showy Damascus.

post 7 #1 Lin Rhea. Pretty stag and classic hunter style.

post 16 #1 Will Morrison. Classic hunter, super clean, and knockout wood.

post 40 #1 Ben Seward. Great steel, awesome ram's horn. I feel a kinship with Ben.....except that I am a part time smith, and full time idiot:p

post 41 #1 John Doyle. I love every one of John's hunters, and especially his guardless versions. This one is a prime example.

post 48 #5 Don Hanson. It doesn't get much more basic than this one. Uncluttered, elemental. Love the fire scale on the flats, absolutely simple lines, and great stag. This knife can stand among it's more dressed up sisters and still turn heads.:thumbup:

post 55 #2 Petr Melicharek. Great blending of colors and texture. Not rustic at all, but still somehow elemental. If Legolas carried a hunter in middle earth, this is what it would look like.

Apologies to the makers I left out, too many of you with mad skillz yo!:D

Darcy

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone who participated. I will tabulate all of the votes and come up with the top 5 today.

Ahh crap, I just finished my list too.. :( lol allrighty, I'll just have to leave my vote for the finals.. :thumbup:

----------------------------

But for what it's worth, I will still add them :D

1) post 6 #7 Karl B Andersen - Bakelite San Mai

2) post 15 #4 Claude Bouchonville

3) post 16 #1 Will Morrison

4) post 37 #1 Jerry Fisk - Sendero

5) post 25 #1 John Doyle - Amboyna Burl Hunter

6) post 6 #11 Karl B Andersen

7) post 48 #4 Don Hanson III

~Paul

My YT Channel Lsubslimed
... (It's been a few years since my last upload)

Well the votes are in, the people have chosen their finalists. It was a very close race to the top knives, and every vote mattered! We ended up with 6 finalists.

In no particular order your finalists are:

Will Morrison

IMG_1441_zpsjssujjpo.jpg

Jerry Fisk

normal_Micro_16_Sendero_NLT_BT.jpg

Ben Seward

24988394755_0c8372239d_c.jpg

Lin Rhea

orig.jpg

Adam DesRosiers

DesRosiers_160604-web_zpswrauf4g1.jpg

John Doyle

055_zpsjqotukr6.jpg

Last edited:
The John Doyle hunter nominated by Mr. Alexander gets my vote as I own one very similar. There are some gems here but John is my man and I own a bunch of his knives.

Back