BladesByBaz

Continuing with the Scottish Dirk:

Using a marker to plan out the file work to be done on the spine.

8Nmkv23.jpg

Filing in the decoration on the spine of the blade.

gJSeC89.jpg

File work done. Ready to go back in the forge for hardening.

HAEvnxY.jpg

I thought I'd have a go at etching one of my blades, so I am going to have a practice on one of my first blades.

I bought a $2 sticker stencil from the two bob shop.

4qptoVg.jpg

Stuck it down and masked off anything I don't want etched.

jHnqOAm.jpg

Using a 12V car-battery charger, some salt water and a swab, I set to etching!

bFvIbfe.jpg

I think it turned out alright for a first go.

xF1fJCv.jpg

While I was at it, I thought I would modify my cheap belt-sander on my very cheap grinder to optimise for blade shaping. You do what you can with what you've got huh? Improvise adapt and overcome.

NVLozgy.jpg

I have a bit of a back-order to fill.... 9 pictured and two others.

OPrAmnT.jpg

Baz,
You started this as a newbie almost a year ago. You have learned a lot since then, and are still learning new things. That is great. I left it up and running because you were sharing info with others.

Now it looks like you are doing business with people and selling knives....good for you. However, that means your registered user membership is not sufficient for these type threads. I suggest you upgrade to a knifemaker membership so you can keep this thread and any similar ones open. It will also allow selling in the exchange.
I'll leave it up for a while, but I think any further knife build posts you make on it should be as a knifemaker member.

Stepping up to all the good info and help you have received from BF and becoming a paying member is what I would call "the right thing to do", but it isn't required. You can post photos of your blades and projects, but can't talk about orders or show photos of order projects.

Last edited:
I'm actually not charging or doing business for these knives. I've never charged for a knife and I probably never will.

These are all love jobs. One for my wife, one for an uncle, four for work mates, one for a church mate, one for an old army mate's mum who is doing me a favor, one for my pastor and one for a very good friend who has blessed me time and time again.

These knives do two things for me: One, they help me improve with every knife as a craftsman and two, they enable me to show people how much I love and appreciate them, by putting my personal time and effort into a gift with meaning and heart behind it.

Money? Who needs money when you have love for friends and the love of friends?

Besides, as soon as you involve money, all the fun and passion goes out of it. Just my two cents, but that's just me.

Baz.

Last edited:
Good enough for me, Baz. I figured as much from past comments you have made. Carry on mate.

Good enough for me, Baz. I figured as much from past comments you have made. Carry on mate.

Thank you for understanding. That means a lot to me.

Little story for you:

I used to go to an archery club. I bought a very expensive target compound bow and accessories. Every so often on a Sunday I used to go there for a couple of hours, pay my $5 guest visitor fee, have a bit of a shoot on targets and go home. Lots of fun.

One day, this club member comes up to me and says he's noticed I've been a few times, and association policy states that if I visit more than four times, I have to pay club annual fees, attend meetings etc or I can't shoot there. If I pay club fees then it's only $2 per visit.

Huh? He's getting $5 from me as a guest. Does that not cover it?

I appreciate the need for regulations, (and especially here on bladeforums I get it) but sometimes rules, regulations and the ever increasing grab for cash just takes the joy out of things. I haven't been back to that club since and I sold my bow. :(

It's a shame because I loved it.

Baz.

Modifying my grinder to optimise for knives. Not the best tool, but you make do hey? I've got ceramic belts coming so I can get away from these horrible Bunnings aluminium oxide belts, but the speed and power of this grinder and the shortness of the belt is not great for knife making. One day I'll have to upgrade to a decent grinding belt machine.

JTlqqnX.jpg

gLF8Doy.jpg

Got the forge temps right up now and air/gas mix running at optimum.

zwWWscj.jpg

Finally getting the oven temperature sorted. The steel has been baking at exactly 210 Degrees Celsius for an hour and had gone to the required target colour of golden straw yellow. Makes me a happy little knife maker.

mxqDVz8.jpg

Current knife I'm working on. Still got to cut the pins and pein them, but nearly done.

q7cKdiF.jpg

LQMvxl7.jpg

Just have to chime in and say it has been so fun watching this thread and all your up to! I love those little knives you just did, I made quite a few very similar to them a couple months ago, even down to the file work pattern..must admit, your look better than mine:). I love all your creativity and what you do! By the way, how's the foot? That looked pretty unpleasant

Yeah, they look like pretty cute designs. Perfect or Neck carry by the looks. The leather work is awesome. I love the lacing job you did- Very creative. I only have one, minor critique and that is that the pins look a bit big for the handles. This is my opinion, but really, they look awesome :) Keep up the great work, I love seeing you progress as Nic. Said.

Very nice work, Baz. You can see how you're developing over time, and I have no doubt the future is looking very bright for you.

Thanks for the encouragement, critique and tips fellas. Very much appreciated. I will see if I can find some smaller diameter brass rod. Soon I'm thinking of moving on to some other shaped blades to try out.

Nic, my ankle is on the mend, but it lets me know when I've pushed it too hard, which is every day.

Last edited:
Thanks Jay.

I have a question. When putting the pins through the scales and peining them, do you apply epoxy glue? If so, at what point exactly would you do this?

The best answer would be as a work Flow.

BBB

Put the epoxy on each scale and put pins through the holes. Make sure you don't put too much epoxy towards the ricasso region as this will squeeze out. it is hard to avoid this regardless of any precautions you take but you can easily remove any squeeze-out by using a q-tip with some isopropyl alcohol on it and swiping. don't use one side of the swab more than once though as you may spread the epoxy!
Best of luck!
Tanner. S

Thanks mate! What sort of epoxy are you using? I've been using 2-part araldite from the local hardware store. Need a little bit of curing time so I have time to get the pins through and pein them before it sets.

I started with Loctite 5 minute epoxy but I just got some West Systems G-Flex epoxy from USAKnifemaker. It is $22 for 2- 118 ml bottles. They will last you a long time and has a working time of about an hour and 15 minutes. I got it when I started peining my handles and it helped tremendously. It's a 2 part 1:1 ratio as well. Looks like they are out of stock at the moment but they should have it back in stock soon.

http://usaknifemaker.com/g-flex-epoxy-1-4oz-of-resin-and-1-4oz-of-hardener.html

Last edited:
I started with Loctite 5 minute epoxy but I just got some West Systems G-Flex epoxy from USAKnifemaker. It is $22 for 2- 118 ml bottles. They will last you a long time and has a working time of about an hour and 15 minutes. I got it when I started peining my handles and it helped tremendously. It's a 2 part 1:1 ratio as well. Looks like they are out of stock at the moment but they should have it back in stock soon.

http://usaknifemaker.com/g-flex-epoxy-1-4oz-of-resin-and-1-4oz-of-hardener.html

Ah bless ya mate! Good to know it has a decent period of working time. That's great!

BBB.

Back