Blue Umnumzaan

Super nice, i need to fix up some home anodising.

You did a good job on the depth of the colour.

If anyone is considering an anodizing project, Maprik is your guy! Can't wait to get this one in hand. Thanks again!

That looks amazing! Nice work. You mentioned that the lock bar stop affects the color of the handle. Can you explain why? I'm not familiar with the anodizing process.

That looks sweet. Always thought it would be cool to anodize some titanium frame locks. Great job.

That looks amazing! Nice work. You mentioned that the lock bar stop affects the color of the handle. Can you explain why? I'm not familiar with the anodizing process.

The lock bar stop is not made of titanium. I don't know what it's made of but during anodization (running an electric current through a solution with the object you want to color being the anode) it gives off a gas that causes the metal around the stop to look like a rainbow of colors (like an oil slick). The stop also causes the rest of the knife to anodize slightly darker than it would without. Again, I don't know why... So to stop the rainbow effect you have to cover the stop with electrical tape. All of the metal must be covered. Then you have to anodize at a few volts less than the other scale. Trial and error...

Could be something to do with the treatment to the lock bar?
I believe it is titanium but surface hardened or carbidized???

The lock bar stop is not made of titanium. I don't know what it's made of but during anodization (running an electric current through a solution with the object you want to color being the anode) it gives off a gas that causes the metal around the stop to look like a rainbow of colors (like an oil slick). The stop also causes the rest of the knife to anodize slightly darker than it would without. Again, I don't know why... So to stop the rainbow effect you have to cover the stop with electrical tape. All of the metal must be covered. Then you have to anodize at a few volts less than the other scale. Trial and error...

Ah okay, thanks for the detailed explanation. Good work on the scale. It looks great!

Back