Blue Umnumzaan

Your anodizing always looks great... loving the colors you are putting out.

The warranty question comes up a lot. I personally don't worry about it because members have commented that they have sent their scotch-brited knives to CRK for re-blasting and the knives come back looking like new. Any of these anodized handles can be easily returned to a regular scotch-brited look because the anodizing is just a surface metal change. So my reasoning is, if the knife can be returned to a factory look for $30 then why would it void the warranty?

Really nice work! I seem to think the LBS is steel but I have no recall where I got that idea.

Well, whatever it is made of, for any of you who are going to anodize your Umnum with LBS you need to carefully cover the LBS with electrical tape so none of it is exposed to the water.

I have a zaan that I have considered anodizing like this one but only after masking the grooves with something like Mask-It Masking Lacquer. After the higher voltage treatment, remove the masking lacquer and retreat at 12.9 volts to give a deep bronze to the grooves. Thought the two tone treatment would look good.

Regarding the LBS, I suspect that you could coat with the same lacquer before anodizing. Of course, clear fingernail polish may work just as well.

I have a zaan that I have considered anodizing like this one but only after masking the grooves with something like Mask-It Masking Lacquer. After the higher voltage treatment, remove the masking lacquer and retreat at 12.9 volts to give a deep bronze to the grooves. Thought the two tone treatment would look good.

Regarding the LBS, I suspect that you could coat with the same lacquer before anodizing. Of course, clear fingernail polish may work just as well.

I did try clear fingernail polish first but it didn't work completely. It did reduce the amount of rainbow discoloring but did not stop it completely. The electrical tape works much better.

If you are paying for the work that's getting done I believe they will still do the work, the problems come when you want something done under actual warranty. Sending it in for a spa is not warranty work of course. If you have issues with the lock bar or something like the blade breaking then you are going to be paying for a new parts and that's if they will even touch the knife because of the non factory work done. I realise you can have the knife put back to new and they will never know, so to speak, but if they start to find that game getting played full time will be called on it rather quickly I think. :)

The warranty question comes up a lot. I personally don't worry about it because members have commented that they have sent their scotch-brited knives to CRK for re-blasting and the knives come back looking like new. Any of these anodized handles can be easily returned to a regular scotch-brited look because the anodizing is just a surface metal change. So my reasoning is, if the knife can be returned to a factory look for $30 then why would it void the warranty?

Could be something to do with the treatment to the lock bar?
I believe it is titanium but surface hardened or carbidized???

Stupid moment, didnt realise it was the LBS and not the lock face of the lock bar.

Slaps head.

Ok, how do I get myself some home anodising?

Maprik--That looks pretty cool sir. I am hoping someone will post pics of one of these anodized knives after they have been carried and used awhile. I LOVE the worn look of my Sebenzas and I am curious to know what a worn anodized model would look like. . .

If you get a chance post some pics of it after a couple months use... I too would like to see how the finish holds up...

I should have you do that to the Zaan I just bought, it looks great.

Back