Bob Cargill Cripple Creek Knives

If I were to spray paint the word Ferrari on a Buick station wagon would it then become a Ferrari? To me, if Cargill didn't make it, it isn't a Cripple Creek Knife.
Other than that I have nothing to add about how the Cripple Creek logo is now appearing on new knives. I would like to keep this thread about what the title suggests.
"Bob Cargill Cripple Creek Knives"
Don't get me wrong, I'm more than glad to see your interest and perspective but when you start asking questions like the ones you posted it will lead to nothing but
conjecture and no real answers. Lot's of "I heard this from so and so and that makes it true" or some such nonsense that seems to appear here on the internet.
Any other info you might be looking for can only come from Bob Cargill and he is private in his matters.
I would be hesitant to hang on the words of anyone that is currently using his logo in hopes of making money from the sweat of another man's brow.
Greg
So which years do you consider " Bob Cargill " Cripple Creek Knives ??

Harry

That information is all within this thread but as a rule of thumb, any knife after 1996 except for a few Bob put together after '96 is not a Cripple Creek.
Greg

Last edited:
I agree with you Greg. That is why I directed people to this thread; so they can acquire knowledge. I was unfamiliar with the history of Bob Cargill and his knives before finding the information you have accumulated here. I might have unknowingly bought one of those Buick's rather than waiting to find the real thing. The last thing I want to do is support someone "making money from the sweat of another man's brow."

Old Engineer Old Engineer , Harry, it looks to me that Cripple Creek knives made prior to 1993 are the ones to get. Bob Cargill sold his company in 1993. The ones made after that in Effingham, Illinois and other places, are not Bob Cargill's direct work product, unless they are one of the few that Greg mentioned which were made after that date by Bob Cargill personally. His shop was in Old Fort, Tennessee when he sold the company and in Lockport, Illinois before that. I am looking for one made in Lockport or Old Fort between 1981 and 1993. I would also like to get a Cargill stamped knife made prior to the founding of Cripple creek in 1981.

This thread is one of the best in the Forum. I commend and thank Augie Augie , mckgreg mckgreg , and the others who contributed content.

Last edited:
I do not consider the Effingham stamped knives to be Cripple Creeks either. They are good knives though.
Greg

Last edited:
I agree with you Greg. That is why I directed people to this thread; so they can acquire knowledge. I was unfamiliar with the history of Bob Cargill and his knives before finding the information you have accumulated here. I might have unknowingly bought one of those Buick's rather than waiting to find the real thing. The last thing I want to do is support someone "making money from the sweat of another man's brow."

Old Engineer Old Engineer , Harry, it looks to me that Cripple Creek knives made prior to 1993 are the ones to get. Bob Cargill sold his company in 1993. The ones made after that in Effingham, Illinois and other places, are not Bob Cargill's direct work product, unless they are one of the few that Greg mentioned which were made after that date by Bob Cargill personally. His shop was in Old Fort, Tennessee when he sold the company and in Lockport, Illinois before that. I am looking for one made in Lockport or Old Fort between 1981 and 1993. I would also like to get a Cargill stamped knife made prior to the founding of Cripple creek in 1981.

This thread is one of the best in the Forum. I commend and thank Augie Augie , mckgreg mckgreg , and the others who contributed content.
Thank you Leslie for the very definitive dates of 1981 to 1993 . I do have 2 of the GEC 14'S with the Cripple Creek tang stamp , but I would never consider them to be anything other than a GEC with a special Tang Stamp . I am very happy to have them , but some day I will get a Real Cripple Creek . I thank everyone who has been posting pictures of their real ones .

Harry

I have to agree with Greg...a Cripple Creek is only a Cripple Creek when Bob Cragil made them.....
Other wise crap happens, that’s business, don’t be stupid and hold onto what is yours even if ......

Harry sums it up, Cripple Creek knives dated 1981 thru 1993 will be true Bob Cargill Cripple Creek knives. That is for sure and for certain.
Some of the early ones (usually 1981) have undated stamps but can be dated by the pattern.
I am not sure if any of the Effingham knives are dated 1993 or not but if there are any they would be excluded.
Also, Cargill did make some knives after the Effingham era and would be dated 1996. I am not aware of any Cripple Creeks made after 1996.
Cargill also made a few knives with a different logo not too long ago. I can't remember the name and it was mentioned in this thread earlier.
Something like ****** Trace.
Just so everyone knows what a Trace is, It's a path, trail or road. Like a Buffalo Trace.

Greg

Last edited:
Harry sums it up, Cripple Creek knives dated 1981 thru 1993 will be true Bob Cargill Cripple Creek knives. That is for sure and for certain.
I am not sure if any of the Effingham knives are dated 1993 or not but if there are any they would be excluded.
Also, Cargill did make some knives after the Effingham era and would be dated 1996. I am not aware of any Cripple Creeks made after 1996.
Cargill also made a few knives with a different logo not too long ago. I can't remember the name and it was mentioned in this thread earlier.
Something like ****** Trace.
Just so everyone knows what a Trace is, It's a path, trail or road. Like a Buffalo Trace.

Greg

Cherokee Trace. They had the Cripple Creek tang stamp, and a Cherokee Trace blade etch with a feather.

"Greg, thanks again for this informative thread. Your dedication to Mr. Cargill is admirable"

It is more about creating a base of information and preserving the history for folks seeking answers.
That is the basis of the whole thread and there are many people that contributed to it.
Greg

AECA stands for American Edge Collectors Assoc. I believe Cargill was the president for a few terms.
That trapper pattern came with a longer front bolster too.
Greg

orig.jpg

Here's one I haven't been able to completely figure out. Trapper pattern with a 95 stamped blade and a type and color of bone I have not seen before.
1995 would have been in the Effingham era and there is no trapper pattern like this in the one page ad of knives that were supposed to be produced.(page 4)
The clip blade is stamped Cripple Creek.
I lean toward the idea that it was made by Bob. The color of bone used on this piece is not like anything he previously made in the CC line of knives.
The jigging does resemble the type used on the Green River knives (page 7) but I can't say for sure..

Cargill did get the Cripple Creek trademark back after the closing of the Effingham shop in 1995 and it is entirely possible that he made it towards the end of '95.
You don't see many '95 dated Cripple Creeks.

Greg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Back