Bob Cargill Cripple Creek Knives

Here's a LI-5 Junior Stockman with Honey Bone. This original pattern was replaced and are few in number.
More Later.
Greg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Another shot of the LI-6 just so we stay in order by number. Every body knows me for not being disorderly...... at all......never.
More later.
Greg

orig.jpg

Greg, that is one stunning knife, beautiful!

Another shot of the LI-6 just so we stay in order by number. Every body knows me for not being disorderly...... at all......never.
More later.
Greg

orig.jpg
That one is amazing.
I was wondering if you could PM me, and or email me. I had a general question about one of Bob’s knives. I can not PM you that I can see. pmek5@sbcglobal.net
Thank you.

Thanks for that tidbit. Little known fact is I actually own a year or so of the NKCA magazine when Bob Cargill was president and always enjoyed his insight and wisdom when reading his, 'To The Point' segment part of the magazine. In fact, that is what started my interest in his knives.

I've managed to acquire the entire collection with every issue from 1977-1997. The amount of knowledge in those magazines is astounding. I've read a lot of them cover to cover, but I haven't read them all yet.

Last of the Ten Little Indians LI-10. The big Buffalo Skinner. Those knives shown are the original 10 patterns produced.
The Cripple Creek line expanded from these original "10 Little Indians", or LI's
More later.
Greg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
The Shields. They can tell you a lot about the Cripple Creek knives. The very early Circular Shield is just that. Almost always on an early CC and highly sought after.
The Oak Leaf shied was used by Cargill on his pre CC knives and carried over into Cripple Creek. They make a rare appearance on earlier knives.
The 3 Legged Buffalo Shield comes in 2 forms. The darker one usually, but not always, appears on early models.
The brighter Buffalo Shield is almost always on newer, or should I say, not so early knives.
More later.
Greg

orig.jpg
orig.jpg

orig.jpg
orig.jpg

Another rare shield is the Bear Shield that appears on a Knife Club's knives. This is not a standard Cripple Creek Shield and is used by request of the Knife Club.

orig.jpg

The knives pictured below are good examples of the different shields. Some very rare knives too.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
As was mentioned earlier in the thread, it is called Strawberry Bone. But with this piece, given the name of it, it is red to light red. Good idea tho.
Greg

That is a LI-10 and like you said, a Buffalo Skinner. What catalog are you referring to? The 1983 Smoke Signals ?
I will post a 1983 Smoke Signal soon and we'll go from there. But first let's post the 1983 Tribe knife. A 4 1/8" Canoe Stockman.
Greg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the first Smoke Signals memo. Well worth the read for what was going on at the time and info on amount of knives produced.
Bear in mind that Cargill spent most of his time on making knives so there will be a few minor discrepancies in the number of knives
produced. This doesn't always happen but it does from time to time.
This Smoke Signals was provided by Shane Stone.
Greg

orig.jpg
orig.jpg

orig.jpg
orig.jpg

Last edited:
Mr. Barlow pattern is the LI-9. If you should see one with a blade in it like this example you might want to grab it. There are less than 10 of them.
Greg

orig.jpg
Greg, I just catch my breath when I move on to your next post and it starts over again. This one is wonderful, the pattern, that beautiful bone and a blade I can only describe as a reverse sheepsfoot just comes together so well. :thumbsup: Have you said what steel was used in the Indians?

I cannot believe I haven't seen more of Bob's work posted, our maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Back