Bob Cargill Cripple Creek Knives

That would make it a Lockport, IL knife. An early one. I have several Barlows with the Cripple Creek USA bolsters
and all have "84" stamps on the secondary blade. For a moment I thought that USA was added to the tang stamp in Old Fort but that is
obviously wrong and meaningless.
I'll post some stuff on the Wounded Knee Barlow Set soon.
Greg

Last edited:
The Wounded Knee Barlows. I missed out on getting this set more than once and still don't have one.
The photo posted is one that I shamelessly pilfered from another site and belongs to Bryan. This info was in the Smoke Signals stating
there were to be 300 sets of these knives with the wooden display. I believe the display was meant to resemble a drum.
If there are 300 sets it is a rarity to find a set that hasn't been broken up. This leads me to believe that 300 sets was
a projected number. I really doubt there were even 20 sets made. You just don't see them. Either in sets or single knives.
If you think about it, 300 sets would be 1200 knives. Why would anybody make that many with display cases in hopes
that they will sell. I am leaning toward the idea the Cargill put together a small amount of sets and then made more
for those who ordered one. To me, that's the only way it makes any sense.
Keep in mind that I am only guessing and hopefully information will come about to clarify this.
Also, 250 bucks in 1981 was about 700 bucks in todays money. Anybody that knows what the economy in 1981-82 was like
will have a greater understanding of what that kind of money was.
Greg
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

There are other Barlows with the Wounded Knee bolsters that do not have the same blade etching and these and are not part of the Wounded Knee Set.

Last edited:
Great Stuff Rookie82 !!!!!! An amazing find.
This article confirms what we had been guessing about Cargill's Jigging Machine and a few other topics too.

Bugdoc, that's certainly worth looking into. Is there anything regarding SACHEMS in the Smoke Signals ?
Greg

When I get some time, I'll go through all the magazines from 1981-1994 and see if I can find any of his knife advertisments.

I'm sure your time doing so will be greatly appreciated Rookie.

Bugdoc, The "Sachem" is limited to 3 patterns. The Gunstock, Large Coke Bottle Hunter and the Grand Daddy Barlow like the one you have.
The only way you can get one like it is by getting a SACHEM. unless you shoud find a prototype or an unmarked piece.
The Sachem patterns may also come in different bone color or blades but on a very limited basis.
We already know, by reading this thread from the beginning, the first Sachem was made in 1981 and was the
big Coke Bottle pattern and was serial numbered and has #1 on the blade.
We know from looking at your knife that the Grand Daddy Barlow has #3 on it.
I do know the Grand Daddy Barlow is an Old Fort, TN piece. What year I am not sure yet.

So Bugdoc, in a way you have answered you own question in your post by the knife saying that your Old Fort, TN Grand Daddy Barlow #3 and is the 3rd pattern of Sachems
and there are only 100 of them made. There are only 3 Sachem Patterns.
I'll get some photos of the Sachems and post them below.
More later.
Greg

Last edited:
The Coke Bottle Hunter is a honker at a little over 5 1/4" and the Grand Daddy Barlow is just under 5 inches. Neither one
is the least bit dainty. The Coke Bottle is numbered on the backside of the tang.
The Grand Daddy's blade looks a bit odd because of the way it is laying in the photo but is pretty close to what it looks like
when laid flat.
The very first SACHEM was made in 1981 according to the 2nd quarter Smoke Signals and were limited to 50
serial numbered pieces. So the 1983 Gunstock in the photo below is SACHEM #2 and has no serial numbers.
Greg

New/Old information on the Sachems. It's all in the Smoke Signals.

SACHEM #1 is the Coke Bottle Hunter from 1981. 50 made.
SACHEM #2 is the Gunstock from 1983. 100 made.
SACHEM #3 is the Grand Daddy Barlow with Old Fort, TN stamp. 100 made.
There are only the three Sachem patterns and no others were made. There isn't
a Sachem #4 or any others. Just the three.
This is for sure and for certain.
Greg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Besides being a five blade Sowbelly, I thought this one interesting.
1987 Old Fort Club Knife with (3) three of the blades being stamped 1984. The pen is stamped "87". I guess you call this a transition knife sort of. Thought the Bear Shield was also different & unique. Not sure how many of Bob's knifes used this shield.
Thank you Greg for all your help & info.

HOZWVFn.jpg

bnFQxOu.jpg

That's a good one for sure! The Bear Shield is coveted and limited to Club Knives. Not that many Clubs have it
on their knives. A 5 blader to boot !!
Greg

The Green River Rendezvous knives consist of just 5 different patterns with a green bone that is unique only to these knives.
The dated tang stamps tell the story of when they were made. You can see that they were not all made in the same year.
100 sets made. Different knives made from 1984 to 1989.
The jack knife pictured directly below was also produced for a knife club with this green bone.
Indiana Knife Collectors I believe. That is the only other time this green bone was used that I know of.

Greg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Were Bob's Whittlers of Split-back or wedge construction? And or two springs similar to the Case Seahorse?

Good to see you Mitch. I am quite sure you will be a great value to this thread.
I need to thank Augie again for starting this and the interest and participation everyone has shown.
Greg

Mitch, you'll get the hang of it. I've been doing a lot of trial and error here myself.

TA-NA-SI is the Cherokee word meaning Tennessee, or in their terms, the area itself without the boundaries we have now . The Cherokee Nation was pretty big.
The TA-NA-SI series of Cripple Creeks contains a number of knife patterns. Exactly how many I don't know at this time. Hopefully we can update the info. I'll post photos of some that I do have soon.
Here's an ad promoting 4 patterns.
Notice that Cargill called what some recognize as a Banana pattern a HOBO. Hobo being short for Hoe Boy or a fella that would move from farm to farm by
rail hoping to work the fields. A knife like this would be pretty handy for all types of things.

You might notice that I removed the phone number that was in all the ads I post. Calling that 30 year old number would only bother someone that doesn't know anything
about knives and would not reach Cargill. There is always at least one "knuckle head" that would just have to see if it would. I can guarantee you that it won't.

We will update this post as new photos and information comes forth.
More later.
Greg

orig.jpg

With the addition of the photos below combined with the info in the ad we know that there are 6 different knives in the TA-NA-SI series
and there are 150 of each. To date we are still missing #3 a 2 blade honeybone mini trapper. A total of 6 knives.
The Christmas Tree scales that Cargill used are tuff as nails and I have never seen one break down or gas.
I've never seen or heard of it doing so on a Cripple Creek.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Knife below reads TA-NA-SI #6 1 of 150
Cherokee Princess
Nancy Ward.

orig.jpg

TA-NA-SI #4 Stag Boot Knife from the Loy Collection. Mr. Loy had a very fine Cripple Creek Collection.

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Back