Bose Knives

View attachment 2247278View attachment 2247277View attachment 2247276

I am going to Bradford PA this week for a memorial service they are having for Tony. Reese will be there, and I should have a chance to speak with him. I am going to try to nail down the story on that Remington Bone, because I have heard different variations. I will also have a chance to tour the Case factory and check out the museum/store. I am going to try to take lots of photographs and maybe start a thread. I am also going to visit Great Eastern Cutlery.

Last edited:
I am going to Bradford PA this week for a memorial service they are having for Tony. Reese will be there, and I should have a chance to speak with him. I am going to try to nail down the story on that Remington Bone, because I have heard different variations. I will also have a chance to tour the Case factory and check out the museum/store. I am going to try to take lots of photographs and maybe start a thread. I am also going to visit Great Eastern Cutlery
Nice to see that Re-Rem again, Greg!!!

Have a great visit to Pennsylvania - and please post pictures!!! A thread would be great!!!

Tony deserves a memorial; I wish I could be there!!!Bose portrait 1.jpg

Charlie I have a confession, seeing your knife in posts past led to me to seek out one for my own. Thankfully luck was with me!

But how in the world do they get the stag to bend like that? 😉

NDmEfZ8.jpg

View attachment 2260717View attachment 2260718View attachment 2260719View attachment 2260720

I traveled to Bradford, PA last week to see Tony inducted into the Case Hall of Fame. It was a beautiful tribute. Reese represented his family with honor and dignity.

Tony was the first person in over 20 years to be so honored by Case. Since the founding of the company, only about a dozen people have been memorialized in their Hall of Fame. I have to say that Case did it right. The company is pure class, and I wish them well.

When Reese pulled the Stag Western Trapper out of his pocket, I let him know that he was not leaving Pennsylvania with that knife. It is now with me in Louisiana. His work is indistinguishable from Tony’s. I know that Tony could not have been more proud of him, because he told me as much.

First class people and a first class company.

View attachment 2260717View attachment 2260718View attachment 2260719View attachment 2260720

I traveled to Bradford, PA last week to see Tony inducted into the Case Hall of Fame. It was a beautiful tribute. Reese represented his family with honor and dignity.

Tony was the first person in over 20 years to be so honored by Case. Since the founding of the company, only about a dozen people have been memorialized in their Hall of Fame. I have to say that Case did it right. The company is pure class, and I wish them well.

When Reese pulled the Stag Western Trapper out of his pocket, I let him know that he was not leaving Pennsylvania with that knife. It is now with me in Louisiana. His work is indistinguishable from Tony’s. I know that Tony could not have been more proud of him, because he told me as much.

First class people and a first class company.
How did I miss this????
Nice experience (and knife) for you Greg!!!

Thank you Charlie, waynorth waynorth . It was a special weekend. I was so impressed with Case as a company and Reese in the way he represented his father. The knife from Reese was the icing on the cake and a great surprise. I carry and use that knife several times a week. I would post some more photographs, but I cannot until the Forum is straightened out.

I was, and still am I guess, a little confused on Remington bone vs German bone. I think I’ve realized Remington bone is from old bone stock that Remington the company had that craftsmen have repurposed. (Not sure if there’s a particular look to it or not, if so, I assume it’s typically light around the edges?). As for German bone, have not been able to understand why it’s called that or how to tell.

Mentioning this because posting my Reese Bose stockman above is in Remington bone and the only way I really knew that is the seller said so.

G GusSharp68 , the Remington Bone that Tony and Reese used was obtained by Tony from someone who says it came from old Remington stock. Supposedly, it has all been used up. However, it seems to me that knife makers almost always squirrel away some of the good stuff whether it be stag or whatever. I would not be surprised if Reese has some amount left and is saving it for the right opportunity. I do not believe anyone can establish that it actually came from old Remington stock. Regardless, it is beautiful and makes for a great story. Your example is spectacular. You are correct that it usually has that same look as yours. Congratulations.

I have never heard the phrase "German Bone" in the same context as Remington Bone. Perhaps someone might have more information. Kerry and Charlie are the most knowledgeable. Maybe they can shed some light on this topic? KnifeHead KnifeHead , waynorth waynorth

Last edited:
G GusSharp68 , the Remington Bone that Tony and Reese used was obtained by Tony from someone who says it came from old Remington stock. Supposedly, it has all been used up. However, it seems to me that knife makers almost always squirrel away some of the good stuff whether it be stag or whatever. I would not be surprised if Reese has some amount left and is saving it for the right opportunity. I do not believe anyone can establish that it actually came from old Remington stock. Regardless, it is beautiful and makes for a great story. Your example is spectacular. You are correct that it usually has that same look as yours. Congratulations.

I have never heard the phrase "German Bone" in the same context as Remington Bone. Perhaps someone might have more information. Kerry and Charlie are the most knowledgeable. Maybe they can shed some light on this topic? KnifeHead KnifeHead , waynorth waynorth
Thank you Leslie, that’s great information.

I guess my follow up question is what was so special about Remington bone in the first place? Besides it looks awesome that is.

G GusSharp68

I guess there are several factors that make is especially desirable. First, it is beautiful. The jigging and dye look great. Second, the story connecting it to the old Remington factory adds mystique. A large part of our love for traditional knives relates to their history. Finally, it is rare and no longer available. That appeals to collectors, (not me however,) whose greatest desire is to own something that few others have.

Last edited:
What I remember about the origin of the "Remington Bone" that Tony and Reese used is pretty much what has been said. We jokingly started calling it "Old Bone" because some people took issue with it being called...uh...you know.

The "German Bone" moniker is almost self explanatory due to the fact that it looks like what was used on some old Boker knives. I believe that is the only reason Tony called it German Bone. From the viewpoint of the custom knife maker, it's necessary to call a specific jig pattern SOMETHING so that folks can designate what they desire on build. I don't have such an inventory of amazing old factory bone so I don't have that problem :D

Here’s a good visual comparison of Remington (first photo) vs. German bone. Jigging pattern/shape/color are fairly distinguishable. I have also seen German bone called Boker bone pretty frequently.

znCUQ0r.jpeg

yRYmhtC.jpeg
Thank you the distinction has been driving me crazy, this is extremely helpful!!!

Back