Broad Axes...post 'em up.

Here's a couple more (both single bevel):

LAFAYETTE CAST STEEL 10 1/2 in. bit
405706_344730728894653_100000731875005_1089325_1268372270_n.jpg

VAUGHAN & BUSHNELL MFG CO CHICAGO USA SUPERSTEEL 5 in. bit
423100_344730985561294_100000731875005_1089326_1186102055_n.jpg

I'm in the same boat. Just a couple of broad hatchets. Looking hard for a broad axe to slip by the bidders on ebay. Rough hewing beams would be a fun way to earn a little extra cash..

there was a nice one on the bay the other day.
nobody bid on it. i think it was at a starting bid of $24.99 not five bucks but not bad for a antique tool of quality

i'm getting ready to hang one for a friend. no makers mark. appears to have been used little, which seems typical.

buzz

Here are some more, per request of Memphis : Sorry, forgot I had these. I am not into broad axes.

Amoskeag and AG Peck - both older than sin

SAM_0584.jpg

Fayette R Plumb with Anchor logo, and a crisp never used Keen Kutter

SAM_0582.jpg

Collins & Co Legitimus used by the phone company, and a linemans Bell system beast :

SAM_0585.jpg

Couple True Temper railroad examples :

SAM_0586.jpg

Nice trio of C Hammond - 1, 4, 2 - Still looking for a 3.

SAM_0587.jpg

Beatty and Son

SAM_0589.jpg

D Simmons and Co - Cohoes Ny - old - out of business in 1860

SAM_0590.jpg

Davis and Co - cant find info - only as a metal worker - mid 1800s. Has some age and wear...

SAM_0588.jpg

Is that all you got???!!!!:D

So that's the Keen Kutter that you were sending for my birthday?

operator..."IM NOT INTO BROAD AXES ALL THAT MUCH"...
yeah right;)
those all look really nice... maybe i should get one...:)

Some Euro broad axes.

Very cool. What was the science behind that shape? Does anyone know? I can imagine an advantage and a disadvantage. A possible disadvantage would be that while cutting at the lower edge of the blade the force applied to the handle is further off center from the eye, possible putting more torque on the handle and wearing it more quickly. OTOH, the initial contact with the wood would be more directly centered on the eye, possibly absorbing the impact better and then having only a lesser cutting force (no impact) applied during the remainder of the cut. Does that make sense?

Small potatoes in comparison to a lot of you guys but here's a couple photos of my broads:

Welland Vale Hatchet on left, Marshall Wells Zenith broadaxe, and a 5 pound Collins Red Seal.
IMG_1789.jpg

I've really grown fond of Welland Vale; this little thing is one of only a couple axes I've found that have a real lasting ring to them when you flick them with your finger.
Logo here sort of reminds me of my VW too :)
IMG_1790.jpg

This 7 pound axe hasn't ever been sharpened; has a pretty nice factory edge with a little use, mostly as a hammer. Seems like it sat in some barn for a long time, some pitting on the backside but it's still pretty nice.
IMG_1791.jpg

Very cool. What was the science behind that shape? Does anyone know? I can imagine an advantage and a disadvantage. A possible disadvantage would be that while cutting at the lower edge of the blade the force applied to the handle is further off center from the eye, possible putting more torque on the handle and wearing it more quickly. OTOH, the initial contact with the wood would be more directly centered on the eye, possibly absorbing the impact better and then having only a lesser cutting force (no impact) applied during the remainder of the cut. Does that make sense?

I'm not sure why that pattern evolved, it does seem like it would be less secure than other eye shapes. Maybe it was to save weight, or maybe it was just easier to forge than other types of eyes. Re-hafting these axes was probably pretty easy compared to some of the "goosewing" patterns that have a long socket with a reverse taper.

Back