Broad Axes...post 'em up.

A few more Euro goosewings. The one in the middle is Hungarian. I'm not sure about the other two, maybe Austrian.
IMG_5661.jpg

IMG_5660.jpg

Those are really nice. Very clean - no pitting at all. Where'd you find those?

I got these on ebay from a seller that I haven't seen around lately. They must have been valued tools and well cared for up until the day they were mothballed in someones shed or attic.

Picked this one up off eBay recently. About $32 with with shipping.

Stamped Beatty Edge Tool Co. About a 10" bladed and just over 5lbs.

402944438.jpg

402944440.jpg

Last edited:
It appears worthy of restoration and hanging. Plenty of good steel left in her. If you restore it please share the pics with us.

What an odd looking broad axe. Great find for 8 bucks.

It looks strange with that little hatchet handle on it but in truth you don't need a long haft on a broad axe. The corners are so square that they almost look like they've been clipped off. The haft looks too small for the eye but the angle it's hung at is correct for a broad axe. You want an open hang. I'd guess that haft was put on by a man knew how he wanted his axe hung. Also, the strong fawns foot would give you the solid grip needed if you were going to one-hand a broad axe.

Very peculiar. If the haft is sound I'd try using it before I went to re-hafting it.

What an odd looking broad axe. Great find for 8 bucks.

It looks strange with that little hatchet handle on it but in truth you don't need a long haft on a broad axe. The corners are so square that they almost look like they've been clipped off. The haft looks too small for the eye but the angle it's hung at is correct for a broad axe. You want an open hang. I'd guess that haft was put on by a man knew how he wanted his axe hung. Also, the strong fawns foot would give you the solid grip needed if you were going to one-hand a broad axe.

Very peculiar. If the haft is sound I'd try using it before I went to re-hafting it.

I'll take some better pictures. It is an odd head on an odd handle. It hadn't occurred to me before, but maybe that odd handle was made to somebody's personal pattern.
Or, maybe somebody cut down an axe handle. It is a huge fawnsfoot, though.

Below is a group: Dad's big broad axe, illegibly stamped and someone's initials pounded in with a punch; L to R Evansville tool works w/ a straight handle (my fault); the one I use, with a flattened diamond stamped behind the edge; unmarked bearded that someone started to sharpen on the wrong side, and the new one unhung in the middle. New one is marked something like "lee s. wade" over a "2".

http://db.tt/iA27Uz8o

Two slightly better shots of the new one. It isn't a user, because it has some cracks from hammering. Socket is cocked at an angle to blade.
http://db.tt/KZvtt5UN

http://db.tt/qS4I4krJ

Last edited:
It appears worthy of restoration and hanging. Plenty of good steel left in her. If you restore it please share the pics with us.
Started doing some rust removal this week. I'm liking the results. I will post pics when done.

Finally got around to finishing up the broad axe. Turns out it was also stamped PHILADELPHIA.

Rehabed the blade but didn't take the whole blade down to flat.
Took the rust off.
Cleaned up the rough edges.
Sharpened (that is some hard steel!)
Mounted with a modified Link 36" double bit haft.
Finished with Skidmore's Liquid Beeswax Sealer.

403257129.jpg

403247266.jpg

403257130.jpg

Note the high tech sheaths. :D
403257131.jpg

Note the high tech sheaths. :D
403257131.jpg

I love it! That's a great pair of axes. You're ready to go start hacking ties! :D

I noticed that you flipped it over and hung the worn point as the heel. That's probably a good move. It'll last longer.

I love it! That's a great pair of axes. You're ready to go start hacking ties! :D

I noticed that you flipped it over and hung the worn point as the heel. That's probably a good move. It'll last longer.
Thanks.

I hung it upside down because I'm a lefty. ;)

Here's a True Temper hewing hatchet. The grain on this handle was as perfect as I've ever seen. Got this hatchet head at the bottom of my father-in-law's toolbox that was his dads. It doesn't even look used, anyways so it was free to me, handle $3. Not too bad..

7594038292_35c293060b_c.jpg

7594040020_299925311e_c.jpg

7594038678_fd6f108910_c.jpg

7594039466_d3acfec6f8_c.jpg

7594040490_31ba8ec441_c.jpg

I have that same head. But the grain in my haft isn't so nice as yours and mine shows a bit more wear. One of my favorites. Very useful tool at the stump.

Very cool. What was the science behind that shape? Does anyone know? I can imagine an advantage and a disadvantage. A possible disadvantage would be that while cutting at the lower edge of the blade the force applied to the handle is further off center from the eye, possible putting more torque on the handle and wearing it more quickly. OTOH, the initial contact with the wood would be more directly centered on the eye, possibly absorbing the impact better and then having only a lesser cutting force (no impact) applied during the remainder of the cut. Does that make sense?

It makes sense,i also think that the handle will be more prone to breaking,however i still think this is a good shape to an axe and i would like to see an axe out of a super steel with a fiberglass or poly handle.I will however trust my double bit with fiberglass handle over a regular bearded axe.

I just picked up a True Temper TB2 at the flea market for $12.00 in perfect condition just a little surface rust and it has the original haft also in perfect condition. Got it all set up on the bench right now to put a good edge back on it which shouldnt take much since it has no dings or chips anywhere. It seems like somebody got this and used it once and then put it away I was so psyched when I saw it that my fiancee even told me I should get it and she is doesnt care for spending money or me spending too much time working on my projects so I think its pretty special. Ill try to get some pics up soon.
Brian

Back