Buck Knives famous Joe Houser at OKCA Knife Show today!

I purchased two knives from Buck Knives (Joe Houser) at 50% off.:thumbup: Joe is a class act. Overall the 38th OKCA knife show was excellent. Spent 5-hours walking past all 360 tables. Stopped by the BCCI table also to meet BCCI folks (couple up from Cali).

I also purchased two US silver Peace Dollars.:D

Talked to Bram Frank the "Father of Israeli knife fighting" and Blade Hall of Fame Wayne Goddard. Both of these staples here at this show.

Very good news AW and thank you for the report. I am going to OKCA today, finally. Got any photos? What knives did you get from Joe? Was 5 hours enough time to do everything? Were there many customers in the aisles? How much $ is enough to bring?

Very good news AW and thank you for the report. I am going to OKCA today, finally. Got any photos? What knives did you get from Joe? Was 5 hours enough time to do everything? Were there many customers in the aisles? How much $ is enough to bring?

Hi Oregon,

I bet you are at the show right now. I think the best time to go to the OKCA show is opening first day (best selection) what I did. Also, end of Sunday (deals from vendors if they want less items to bring home) what you did? I did not get any photos myself. My wife is the family photo nut.:D My son was sick so I did not bring him. I did bring $250 in cash, but I also need nothing as I have many knives.;) Many vendors will take credit cards. The education is priceless just spending 5-hours walking the 360 tables/vendors. I could have spent all day, but I had some other work to do also.

I did get a Buck 846 Vantage Force - Avid Tactical Black Folder, 846BKS-B, cat 3640, 3.25" Blade, 4oz, 13C26 Sandvik BOS, USA, made on 1/3/2013 for $50 direct from Joe Houser and wife at the 38th OKCA Annual Knife Show.

I also got a Buck 0941BKS-B Spreader – Slate, PaperStone Handle, 4-7/8” Length, 410HC Steel, made on 3/11/2013 for $21 from Joe Houser and wife at the 38th OKCA Annual Knife Show. Joe said this is the knife that Chuck Buck buys most for his friends. I did not catch Joes wife name, but she was also very nice.

Case knives had a deal on new zodiac signs WR Case knives for $29, but I passed. If it was on something more normal I would have grabbed one. I do collect a few of the WR Case War Series knives.

Did you bring a camera? What did you buy?

"I did not catch Joes wife name, but she was also very nice."

Joe's wife's name is Maralee.

You hit some cutlery paydirt yesterday. Congrats.

I took a camera and a few pics are enroute.

Bucks: Paklite Skinner 141ss, two Spitfires (blems) green with orange spacers, blem Cadet. (off topic: Spyderco Goddard C16POD plain edge and Kershaw Cryo 1555TI & two resin knife kits).

I made arrangements with two vendors regarding a long-term treasure hunt target of mine and I may be nearing the end of my search for a rare one.

I visited with Leroy and Art (RRR), Joe and his lovely wife Marylin, Howard Hosking vintage Buck vendor/chaplin, the Wayne Goddard family and folks at the BCCI table. Joe Houser's oldest of the old vintage display was in itself worth the trip and his collection is stunning to my sore eyes.

leroyt.jpg

svintageoldies.jpg

Joe mentioned to me that this display contained some of his oldest examples of the founder's work. The display was against a wall (far far away from Joe) and covered with glass so photography was a challenge.

reblade.jpg

This re-blade captured my attention. Tangs on both blades are marked with BUCK.

My pleasure Dave. I love this stuff really enjoy your generous and brilliant contributions to this much-loved forum.

reblade.jpg

A slightly different view, in order to show the typewritten note regarding Buck re-blades.

Did you ever find out what that mystery object was?? It still has me baffeled. :confused:

Had you guessed it the pin would now be on its way to you.

Can you post a photo?

Nobody had a clue. My son had the pic on the Ipad and showed it around to baffled folk at the show.

Looks like a good time,thanks for the photo's.

You are welcome skyhorse. It was a good and exciting time like it has been for the last 5-6 years. This is staffed and run by enthusiasts. The makers and the vendors are collectors. Everyone knows a ton about cutlery and many can show you or point you to an example of just about whatever you desire. Heck, many years ago I asked a door attendant about sharpener system vendors and he gave me several vendors to choose from, knew them all and was intimately familiar with the different systems. The vendor I chose was a Master Bladesmith at the top of his profession and he took his time showing the ins & outs of the Apex system. Deep clover for me. Deep clover.

The Spitfire: I am actually shocked to find out that this anodized aluminum folder doesn't simply squirt out of my hand, it looked so very smooth and slippery in the photos, when I open and close it. On the contrary it is easy to work in my xl hand. And weighing 3 1/3 ounces it is a pleasure to pack around. Love the sound of the opening click as the backlock functions. Thank you forum members for the recco. Joe can't always get new knives for the shows before dealer backorders fill so he brought blems, removed from the company store at the last minute, to the show for guys like me who are enthusiastic to take a crack at the new stuff. Both of them are sharp and evenly ground. This is the first I've handled a knife with the 2013 date code stamp (top 1/2 of a bull's eye) and Art told me that all of these buck date symbols are in the dictionary.

I am so jealous!! :)

Looks like you had a great time....thanks for all the pictures.

Back