Buck Knives famous Joe Houser at OKCA Knife Show today!

Thanks for the Pictures, Joe has a great collection.

I was hoping that you would enjoy the photos Matt. I was asking Joe's terrific wife about the display, Joe was with a customer, and Joe was beaming with pride when he came over to tell me that this display housed many of his oldest pieces. It encourages me seeing such terrific specimens of craftsmanship travel thru time so gently and well-cared for.

Question: Byron "Mac" McKinney painted the Founder's blacksmith shop painting that hangs at Buck Headquarters. Joes says that it is now in a terrific frame. Is this painting the basis for all of the blacksmith etchings on the knives? Mac was the supervisor in the Buck repair shop when it morphed into the custom shop where he worked for 15 years.

I am so jealous!! :)

Looks like you had a great time....thanks for all the pictures.

Well, uh, hmmmmm, uh, you know this show is like going to cutlery heaven and I don't know how it gets any better so.... I had the time of my life and I live for the next show. These few pics are hardly a downpayment for your tireless, remotely dialed in, exciting on location, daredevil slices of life photography you are so generous with on this apex forum. May you live a thousand years (a hope, I'm certain, is shared by the hiking shoe manufacturers you frequent :))

Thanks for the pics of the show and especially of Joe's display oregon:thumbup:

Thanks for the pics of the show and especially of Joe's display oregon:thumbup:

Don't mention it. Entirely my pleasure. I only wish I'd had a couple hours, sunlight and, well, some patience, skill and a good camera to give that fantastic collection of real wealth a better showing.

There were no vintage ATS-34 Odysseys. None. The only sub-$200 106 was abused-looking and $160. Sorry. Next time.

Here is a pic of Leroy holding the raffle set, I bot one $25 ticket, for BCCI get together this summer. It's a four person collaboration:

leroybcciraffleset2013.jpg

Don't mention it. Entirely my pleasure. I only wish I'd had a couple hours, sunlight and, well, some patience, skill and a good camera to give that fantastic collection of real wealth a better showing.

There were no vintage ATS-34 Odysseys. None. The only sub-$200 106 was abused-looking and $160. Sorry. Next time.

Here is a pic of Leroy holding the raffle set, I bot one $25 ticket, for BCCI get together this summer. It's a four person collaboration:

leroybcciraffleset2013.jpg

Oregon,

I passed on the blem 722 Spitfire, but I am going to collect all three. I will get two gray ones so I can use it. For an all medal knife it felt great in the hand. The best thing about these shows are holding them in your hand to see if you really like them. The Buck 722 Spitfire is a winner.:thumbup:

Thanks for those great photographs of everyone and everything. Those very early blades of Joe's are terrific, thank you.

Thanks for those great photographs of everyone and everything. Those very early blades of Joe's are terrific, thank you.

I am happy that you enjoy and like the photos. Imagine my surprise when busy tired heavy-weight vendors like those pictured allow me to capture their image on camera. Not everyone likes their picture taken (I'm one of those). The Ipad caused a stir. You know it is possible to go live with Ipads and Iphones and remote viewers can see what I see (I've done this with family that is distant and it is kind of interesting but wonder how well it would be received in such a venue). I didn't arrange that this year. I was warned in advance by the club not to overdo the pics so I tried to honor their wishes. Joe's helpful wife told me that the only way that she can obtain a knife that doesn't go into Joe's collection is to get a pink one. Luckily for her Joe cannot tolerate some colors.

Yep, that's her. Thanks, for the photos of Buck personnel. DM

Joe is a very fortunate man. It is great to see everyone isn't it. I am grateful that such giants in the industry visit Track Town USA. You don't find Benchmade, Kershaw, Gerber or CRKT with a table at this show. Nope.

I

Joe is a very fortunate man. It is great to see everyone isn't it. I am grateful that such giants in the industry visit Track Town USA. You don't find Benchmade, Kershaw, Gerber or CRKT with a table at this show. Nope.

I agree 100% that the Portland based knife companies are lazy.:eek: I love seeing Buck and Spyderco there.

selectorgold.jpg

selector2.jpg

Selector. Oh yes it is. Titanium. Weighs nothing to speak of. Very grippy handle. I shudda got at least one of these from Leroy...

Last edited:
p1540122.jpg

axelifetimebuck.jpg

Slices from the one vintage display case of Joe's. Joe is sharp as a tack. I mentioned his name to several vendors around the show and it seemed to me that the who place orbited around what Joe and Marylin were doing and the Buck table in general. Everyone visited the Buck table. Everyone. Mention Joe's name to anyone and you get a wholesome story told with admiration and respect.

howardhoskins2.jpg

howardhoskins.jpg

Howard Hoskins treasures. AWOL this year are the WWII fixed blades, seen in former years photos, now in other hands. Second photo, upper left large folder outside the case still haunts me for leaving it behind as the condition was so good, not perfect but quite good.

Had you guessed it the pin would now be on its way to you.

Can you post a photo?

Nobody had a clue. My son had the pic on the Ipad and showed it around to baffled folk at the show.

Here it is. Anyone have a clue?? :confused:

Attachments

• mystery object.jpg
    mystery object.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 29
Back