Busse knives really worth the bux ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Already started (got tequila! :D :very_drunk: )

Here's a picture of some Busses that are worth the bux, to stay on topic:

ash08a.jpg

I think people willing to buy Busses would rather have a sheath made to their own tastes. Some like leather, some like kydex, and lots of folks have specialized needs or wants when it comes to a good rig for their purposes. Not including a sheath means folks don't have to pay extra for a sheath that isn't perfect for them. So I agree with Busse's decision on that account. :)

Thank you. I tried to respond to the other comment but I only see trouble, arguing for the sake of argument is not getting anyone anywhere.

I have dollar knives and 600 dollar knives, but I WONT berate anyone for their choices. Anyone who does, really doesn't rate my or anyone's time. A knife makers choices aren't my business. ANY knife maker.

Causing trouble for the sake of trouble is the reason I stopped coming to the outdoors forum, I guess some have not grown up yet.

It should perhaps be noted that the Bussecombat website is currently offering both a Spec-ops Combat Master, and a less expensive nylon/kydex alternative,

I tried to find this, but couldn't. Can anybody provide a link?

Thank you.

Doc

Yes, I can see that some people do tend to bring more heat than light to a discussion about this branding. I am, however, enjoying the light. You might well imagine why I (and likely others) don't venture into that brand forum and so don't know which horses are dead and which are quite valid questions. Now, in the interest of fairness, does anyone have any questions about Henry Bodenheim and his role in the founding of Camillus and Imperial Schrade? :)

Now, in the interest of fairness, does anyone have any questions about Henry Bodenheim and his role in the founding of Camillus and Imperial Schrade? :)

Now Wait, start your own thread on Cami and Schrade, ok!!!!!!!:D

Seriously, we've gone off topic so much in this thread, that why not add others into it.

You guys want to know about how SR101 came into existence pre swamprat

Now Wait, start your own thread on Cami and Schrade, ok!!!!!!!:D

Seriously, we've gone off topic so much in this thread, that why not add others into it.

You guys want to know about how SR101 came into existence pre swamprat

I remember the advent of the SR71 though it was kept hush-hush for many years. I knew a family friend who was a test pilot at Groom Lake. He didn't talk much about what he did and only years later was I able to piece together just which project he flew.

I think you have to start 'shopping' from the online ordering link. Then you can see a link to the sheaths. See if this works:

http://bussecombat.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BCKC&Category_Code=Sheaths

Thanks for the link, rick.

Yes, I can see that some people do tend to bring more heat than light to a discussion about this branding. I am, however, enjoying the light. You might well imagine why I (and likely others) don't venture into that brand forum and so don't know which horses are dead and which are quite valid questions. Now, in the interest of fairness, does anyone have any questions about Henry Bodenheim and his role in the founding of Camillus and Imperial Schrade? :)

Yes, Schrade knives really worth the bux?

Doc

Camillus and Schrade? Now there's a whole nasty can o worms that dont belong here.

Plenty of American made knives to choose from.

That's why I think Busse and many others are worth the bucks. :D

Thanks for the link, rick.

Yes, Schrade knives really worth the bux?

Doc

Camillus and Schrade? Now there's a whole nasty can o worms that dont belong here.

Plenty of American made knives to choose from.

That's why I think Busse and many others are worth the bucks. :D

Yep, both made here for over 100 years and still quite available at very reasonable prices. Why else would I own nearly a thousand of them? We don't talk about the Chinese product now made with nostalgia branding. I doubt that you would be interested in Busse knockoffs from China either? Even for cheap? :) Oh.. and the original sheath knives came with.. get this... sheaths! But Paul Long has made customs for a couple of mine. :p

icivb7.jpg

Last edited:
Just rattlin' your chain, Codger. I still have 1 Schrade I wouldn't part with.

FORCODGER.jpg

Actually, I like most American made knives. I even own 1-1/2 Bussekin. :D

Doc

Just rattlin' your chain, Codger. I still have 1 Schrade I wouldn't part with.

FORCODGER.jpg

Actually, I like most American made knives. I even own 1-1/2 Bussekin. :D

Doc

I skinned and butchered a deer with my knife like that a few years back just to see if it could. It did. I still have it in one of my knife drawers or boxes. I don't mind fun chain-yanking Doc. That is mostly what I have done in this thread myself anyway. And I appreciate the Busse fans being patient good sports. And I am learning a lot without a lot of hype and chest beating. Some excellent points are being made and some misconceptions cleared up. I almost hate to mention that the real factory is in Northern Quebec. :p

Yep, both made here for over 100 years and still quite available at very reasonable prices. Why else would I own nearly a thousand of them? We don't talk about the Chinese product now made with nostalgia branding. I doubt that you would be interested in Busse knockoffs from China either? Even for cheap? :) Oh.. and the original sheath knives came with.. get this... sheaths! But Paul Long has made customs for a couple of mine. :p

icivb7.jpg

Paul is a very good friend of mine I dont think he would appreciate him being used as a prod, in good humor or not.

but more power to you.

Last edited:
Paul is a very good friend of mine, I dont think he would appreciate him being used as a prod. In good humor or not.

I consider Paul a friend as well and I admire his work. I've also known him to have a good sense of humor. He is great to work with and, at least in my case, knows when to say no to an idea that he knows from experience will not work. Sorry if you took offense on his behalf. :)

A parting note:

Some people you just cant reach.

Out of the 1530 people who viewed this thread, and the 576 responses, this thread has remained a good discussion. Aside from a hand full of people who seem bent on derailing it at any cost. The overwhelming consensus is that we as a community agree that we dont all have the same taste or wallet, but we respect each others choices. Of these bent on derailing the subject, they do seem very loyal to their own choices.

A little respect goes a long way, I had a lot of respect for a few of the posters, and still do for some, but have lost all respect for that handfull that are so bent that they want to derail anything that doesnt agree with their point of view. On the flip side, one particular dealer has gain a lot of respect, even if their view doesnt quite line up with the subject at hand.

I'm tired of yelling at a fence post, especially one that is buried ten feet down and doesnt want to straiten.

There are some people you just cant reach. He wants it, and he gets it.

Sorry you are determined to take offense where none is intended. As I said more than once, this has been a good discussion with few people giving or taking offense. One certainly might expect less off-topic discussion and possibly levity in the maker's own subforum, but that is not here. Thanks for the information and perspecives you have given to this point. I am learning more about Busse knives and their business model which, you have to admit, are rather unique.

Signed: Fence Post ;)

I've used Esee and Scrapyard and been happy so far with both.

A few of the questions I've had were answered during this thread such why sheaths are not included. Thank you for that.

If I wanted a Busse (say a Steel Heart) as a work knife but maybe a few years from now I would want to sell it. Understanding that a mint condition knife NIB is worth more then one that has been used. Assuming the knife was in proper working order, is there a significant drop in resale value?

It seems not, particularly if bought from the primary source and not from an aftermarket source with significant markup to begin with. That seems to be a main point being made here, that they will usually maintain their resale value, if not significanly increase in value due to discontinued model demand from collectors. Just a guess, but as with most brands, that would depend a lot on the particular model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back