Busses and Whisky

The closeout shelf strikes again! I can't believe my luck to snag this one. Let me just say "Holy Mary mother of Jesus" .... damn..... This is one you would never regret.

View attachment 1293867
What closeout shelf are you looking at?? Went into the store here looking for anything Compass Box and they said compass box will now only sell to business / restaurant only... They can't even order it for me...

What closeout shelf are you looking at?? Went into the store here looking for anything Compass Box and they said compass box will now only sell to business / restaurant only... They can't even order it for me...
My liquor store always has CB Oak Cross on the shelf (yet to try it) and I was surprised as hell this was on the clearance shelf! Had half a dozen bottles on it. So, from what I'm seeing they switch it up each week. Another CB I had ordered on, the Flaming heart - 2 online places I have ordered from will ship to me in Ohio. 1 is in Mi, 1 in Ill. They have some CB but a lot of them sell out because they are so limited.

Leonardo since I posted this thread, less than a year ago, how many bottles have you bought? :D:D You're doing excellent work my friend, and I'm a little jealous !! I just hope you're still managing to fit in some INFI.........

The closeout shelf strikes again! I can't believe my luck to snag this one. Let me just say "Holy Mary mother of Jesus" .... damn..... This is one you would never regret.

View attachment 1293867

Hedonism is so good. I consider it the ultimate dessert scotch. It's like drinking butterscotch. My bottles of that have long dried up, but I'm currently on a Glock and Booker's frenzy so I haven't bought another bottle.

Orangerie is another of theirs that is a phenomenal tasty treat. It's got a hint of orange flavor, so it isn't something that I pour too many drams from. My wife has a few blended drinks she makes using it. I believe both H and O start with their basic Asyla and then get blended with various other alcohols/barrel agings from there. Unfortunately, Oregon stopped carrying Orangerie about two years back, but when they did, they put it on clearance and I picked up a few bottles for $15 each. I'm down to 2 plus 1 open now. Later on, they dropped the price to $5 per bottle when there were only a few remote stores that had them. It was hard to watch.

Compass Box's regular Peat Monster is outstanding for a peaty scotch and I actually prefer it to Octomore or Big Peat. I didn't like the 10th anniversary version as well, though. That said, when I want this kind of peat I generally go to Laphroaig CS 10yr or Triple Wood.

Leonardo since I posted this thread, less than a year ago, how many bottles have you bought? :D:D You're doing excellent work my friend, and I'm a little jealous !! I just hope you're still managing to fit in some INFI.........
LOL!!!... Yeah, you guys have unleashed the beast alright. Well, I've been saving my corks. I filled a couple beer steins on a nic-nak shelf so my wife got me a decorative miniature tub. Around 47 corks and a dozen in the works :D ~ As for Infi, 2019 was a great year too and I hope to score tonight as well. It's been fun! I've learned a lot and you guys here have been amazing in helping me throughout the education.

Hey, one thing I wanted to follow up on that is worth remembering - A while back I had got a bottle of Abunadh batch 64, a different batch than my first one (62-and amazing) - Cobalt suggested leaving it set for a couple months to oxidize - I'm here to tell you he was absolutely dead ass right about that! I put it in the basement with a couple other "special" bottles and pulled it out shortly before my birthday in Feb and DAMN! It was like I had remembered - all that rubber glove/medicinal foulness was gone! I want to get another bottle but all I'm seeing is the same batch number so far and I don't feel like going through that again.

Hedonism is so good. I consider it the ultimate dessert scotch. It's like drinking butterscotch. My bottles of that have long dried up, but I'm currently on a Glock and Booker's frenzy so I haven't bought another bottle.

Orangerie is another of theirs that is a phenomenal tasty treat. It's got a hint of orange flavor, so it isn't something that I pour too many drams from. My wife has a few blended drinks she makes using it. I believe both H and O start with their basic Asyla and then get blended with various other alcohols/barrel agings from there. Unfortunately, Oregon stopped carrying Orangerie about two years back, but when they did, they put it on clearance and I picked up a few bottles for $15 each. I'm down to 2 plus 1 open now. Later on, they dropped the price to $5 per bottle when there were only a few remote stores that had them. It was hard to watch.

Compass Box's regular Peat Monster is outstanding for a peaty scotch and I actually prefer it to Octomore or Big Peat. I didn't like the 10th anniversary version as well, though. That said, when I want this kind of peat I generally go to Laphroaig CS 10yr or Triple Wood.
Coolio! ... I'm having a glass right now - Yeah, when it first hits the mouth, butterscotch! Dead nuts on! Then vanilla - jeez, it's so damn good~ Your post reminded me- you mentioned your wife liking the Orangerie in the past. If I'm remembering right, it's actually an infusion. I know I looked all over hell for it but no where to find. I can certainly sympathize that Glock/Bookers making an impact. One of my neighbors has shared quite a few Bookers and Little Book with me but I just can't do bourbons, I guess it's the corn but I have an exception - Last week I was with a customer and he was trying to get me to have a drink so I asked if he had any Scotch? He goes "yeah! I do" he had some Dewars ~ I passed - then he said I got some other whiskey, Buffalo something- I said "Buffalo Trace?" "That's it! he said so I said I want to try it! ... SOB was that ever good! it was in the freezer so ice cold- I hit that and damn I was impressed! It was sweet - So I was telling my Bourbon drinking buddy and he said "Oh, so your a wheater" . I was like what? ... He said it's corn and wheat~ Now there's one I can do- I thought it tasted great and didn't gag me like every other bourbon.

Why have I never seen one of those "closeout shelves"? If I want a bottle of Orangerie, it's $55 a bottle, plus tax. And $110 for the Hedonism. And I never see that sort of stuff discounted, no matter how little of it they have left.

Why have I never seen one of those "closeout shelves"? If I want a bottle of Orangerie, it's $55 a bottle, plus tax. And $110 for the Hedonism. And I never see that sort of stuff discounted, no matter how little of it they have left.
Then I got one hell of a deal on that Hedonism :D It was slightly under a buck but I didn't care at the moment. Most of the online places I've seen it listed, but sold out, was a buck and a quarter to buck and a half. I'm going back on Saturday if anyone is interested.

...Buffalo something- I said "Buffalo Trace?" "That's it! he said so I said I want to try it! ... SOB was that ever good! it was in the freezer so ice cold- I hit that and damn I was impressed! It was sweet - So I was telling my Bourbon drinking buddy and he said "Oh, so your a wheater" . I was like what? ... He said it's corn and wheat~ Now there's one I can do- I thought it tasted great and didn't gag me like every other bourbon.

DAMN! Another Buffalo Trace convert!
When my local store gets it, I buy him out. I think the most I’ve bought at once was 5 bottles.
They really need to up their production. It’s damn near impossible to find.

Bulleit is pretty good also. I think it is a high rye bourbon.

So I was telling my Bourbon drinking buddy and he said "Oh, so your a wheater" . I was like what? ... He said it's corn and wheat~ Now there's one I can do- I thought it tasted great and didn't gag me like every other bourbon.
Unfortunately, your buddy was mistaken - Buffalo Trace is not a "wheater". It's corn, rye, and malted barley (like most bourbons) If you're looking for a wheater, try Makers Mark - it's widely available, and inexpensive. There's also Larceny. Weller, a wheated bourbon made by Buffalo Trace, has become harder to find and rather expensive (at least where I am).

Unfortunately, your buddy was mistaken - Buffalo Trace is not a "wheater". It's corn, rye, and malted barley (like most bourbons) If you're looking for a wheater, try Makers Mark - it's widely available, and inexpensive. There's also Larceny. Weller, a wheated bourbon made by Buffalo Trace, has become harder to find and rather expensive (at least where I am).
He's a shade tree bourbon expert HAHA! ~ I've had Makers Mark, like it in a cocktail - Edit- He's sticking by his wheat/barley claim~ I guess they don't exactly state their mash bill. Here it is from the horses mouth. I sent him this video so now he's going to spend however long it takes to find wheat in one of their bottles sometime in the past 100 years. All I know is, I've never tasted a bourbon like it~ must be why it's usually sold out.

Last edited:
Man...Buffalo trace is at just about every grocery store in my area. Maybe you’re talking about some special release of it. Anyone try Oak and Eden?

Man...Buffalo trace is at just about every grocery store in my area. Maybe you’re talking about some special release of it. Anyone try Oak and Eden?
No.... not a special release. Just the regular stuff.

Buffalo Trace stuff seems to really be one way or another in different states. Some places, people are climbing over each other and struggling to find any in shells and have to resort to secondary market. In other places, they're readily available for MSRP or on discount shelves. Here in PA, they're hard to get. Especially anything with the word Stagg in it... A friend of a friend let a bottle of Stagg Jr. (Batch 13) go for me, as a special favor, for $90. MSRP is around $60, but secondary market around here is around $120-125.
Then I hear other people in other states just buying them casually of the shelves...
I was able to get a bottle of regular Buffalo Trace from a local state store.... But they kept it in the office only for people who asked for them.

I never had any trouble finding Buffalo Trace locally, but all the sudden, no one has it. Did those damned millennial hipsters find out about it or something? They ruin everything.

Last edited:
Anywhere around here it flies off the shelves.
I worked in Renton, WA area for a while, and the Total Wine there always had it in stock, in the 2015-2017 time frame. Then suddenly it disappeared near the end of 2017, and never came back as long as I was out there. They still had the spot for it on the shelf.... labeled, even. But it was never there.

Wow.... yeah, compared to here, where they’re hard to keep in stock and sell for more than MSRP on the secondary market.

Back