• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Buying knives on Ebay

I don't really understand the scenario; do you have an actual link? But, I don't know what it matters if it shows your bid of 10 one time or fifty as long as you owned the bid and did not outbid yourself.
I was explaining why you see repeats of the same bid amount. I have no idea why that matters to you. It does happen where a "winning" bidder increases his maximum bid. I regret it if I am unclear.

I was explaining why you see repeats of the same bid amount. I have no idea why that matters to you. It does happen where a "winning" bidder increases his maximum bid. I regret it if I am unclear.

Are you simply saying that one example of a duplicate bid shows up when a bidder increases an in-place bid? Not that it effects anything, just that it causes the anomaly?

Are you simply saying that one example of a duplicate bid shows up when a bidder increases an in-place bid? Not that it effects anything, just that it causes the anomaly?
Is it an "anomaly" if eBay programmed it that way - same for years? Bid shown in my example because max increased, but unless bid of 10 is exceeded, shows as another bid of 10. if two bids of same amount, earliest one "wins."

Last edited:
is it an "anomaly" if eBay programmed it that way - same for years. Bid shown in my example because max increased, but unless bid of 10 is exceeded, shows as another bid of 10. if two bids of same amount, earliest one "wins."

I have seen the same thing that was not from this scenario. I use an automated tool to place bids well ahead of time. It only places one bid 5 seconds before the end of the auction; that way I don't have to watch the auction or worry about shill bidders. I noticed years ago that it will show me with 3-5 bids for the exact same amount at exactly the same time. So there are multiple scenarios that cause this "event" (if you don't like "anomaly - something that deviates from what is standard, normal, or expected"). Still, I don't think either of us are saying that we have ever seen the event cause a person to pay more for the product than the ebay defined bid logic dictates. It would be much easier to discuss with an actual bid history to view; but I haven't bought anything in this fashion in a long time.

Should I have added I was lucky? I think so, but I took a chance on a seller with 100% positive feedback.

Should I have added I was lucky? I think so, but I took a chance on a seller with 100% positive feedback.

Yes you did. This biggest seller of Frankenknives on eBay has 100% feedback, as did the guy who sold me a khukuri whose "length" was its circumference. So the prudent buyer is careful and pays with a credit card just in case.

This seller has 100% feedback:
"6" Hand Forged Blade Authentic British Gurkha Mini Afghan Kukri American Bowie"
"16.5" Becker Military Machete, Traditional Sword, Hand Forged Bowie Blade -Kukri" ( Mr. Becker will be so pleased.)

Seller information
dkonly-blades (91 )
100% Positive feedback

Who makes the steel, or the knives? We make our own knives with imported steel. Each knife is designed and crafted by the finest craftsmen who have been perfecting their art for decades. We have been in this business since 70s and are the one of the oldest sellers on eBay.

I've bought a Ferrum Forge Tredecim on ebay for 30% off the retail price, and it's a rare bird at that. I had no issues with it.

If you're buying on ebay, exercise the same precautions as anywhere else. Look at who's selling it, their feedback score and join date, inspect the pictures, send them an email/message for ore info, etc. The risks of buying things online are real and present no matter what site you're on. To be buying online, especially from third parties (not makers or retailers), one needs to accept that there's a chance that things go awry, and then one needs to be vigilant and try to stick to sources that seem trustworthy.

I've bought a Ferrum Forge Tredecim on ebay for 30% off the retail price, and it's a rare bird at that. I had no issues with it.

If you're buying on ebay, exercise the same precautions as anywhere else. Look at who's selling it, their feedback score and join date, inspect the pictures, send them an email/message for ore info, etc. The risks of buying things online are real and present no matter what site you're on. To be buying online, especially from third parties (not makers or retailers), one needs to accept that there's a chance that things go awry, and then one needs to be vigilant and try to stick to sources that seem trustworthy.
Good advice. + Pay w/ CC.

100% feedback seller: "This is in good condition with normal wear for its age. The handle is raw and does not have a cover over the metal. "

ePrey interpretation: the handle is totally gone; only the stick tang remains.

I do not sell too many knives, but I have found the ebay selling fees plus paypal fees to be rapacious.

I intend to upgrade to Gold here next time I want to sell, and leave ebay behind forever.

Buying is ok on ebay, but prices on good knives seem inflated probably due to the crazy fees.

Between outright lies, reckless disregard for truth or falsity, and utter failure to describe defects, it's the Wild West. (Just defamed the Wild West by odious comparison.) Buyer beware. Not a place for the innocent. "Bowie knife" :D "Antique" :confused:

On the other hand, every knife I have bought here or at the other place I frequent has been honestly described.

100% feedback:

"There is no rust on the blade. [There is pitting.] It does have super light surface scratches (nothing that makes
it look ugly as you can see for your self), very mild oxidation [pitting] on some spots ONLY, and some [2]
very tiny [1/8" x 1/8" chips] knicks on the front blade(as you can see in the pictures). [Tip broken off.] It comes with a very used
OLD safe lock leather sheath [The pictured sheath is NOT a Safe Loc sheath. ] (I do not know if it is original to this knife).

AND THE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL

100% FEEDBACK: "Official Boy Scout BSA Plumb Hatchet #647 - 14" Scout - Hunters - Boy Scout Axe" IS AN UNBRANDED, GENERIC HARDWARE STORE HEAD ON A "Scout 14"" REPLACEMENT HANDLE.

Last edited:
100% feedback

"Scandinavian" Finish puukko
Item specifics
Brand:

100% made in FINLAND
Blade Length: Over 5in.
Year: Early vintage [i.e. meaningless]
Type:Everyday Carry, Hunting, Survival, Colectable
Handle Material:pressed Birch Bark
Country/Region of Manufacture:Finland
Blade Material:Carbon Steel