Buying my man a pocket knife. HELP!

The Spyderco/Viele SP-42P (plain edge) looks very nice. I can see why you kept it.

Question: serrated edge vs smooth edge. Why the difference in a pocket knife?

I just remembered that I do have another knife - a Cold Steel Ready Edge. I bought it from the same boss at work. I wear it around my neck on a leather braided rope when I am working around the house or out in the yard. It really comes in handy all the time. When I'm not wearing it - it hands right by the front door for each access.

How does one sharpen a serrated edge knife?

judy

p.s. I know....I have questions and questions..... but it is so much more fun to ask you knife knuts !

Judy,
Joe Malloy makes bra knives with a small sheath and CLIP!! to clip it to your, well, I guess, uh, your under garment, yea, thats it. Ironhorse

Loving these Christmas Knife Gift Posts that are coming up..... Great questions and you've definitely come to the right place Judy.

There are a number of sharpeners that will handle serrations out there but there are almost as many variations and questions about them as there are knives so I would save that one for a Birthday gift and focus on your knife purchase if I were in your shoes. Sounds like you're learning a lot really quickly and having fun as well! That's what it's all about!

For the serrated vs non-serrated I would vote on non-serrated for a gentleman's folder. It keeps the knife blade 'clean' looking and elegant. Serrated blades help cut through 'tough' stuff like rope, cord, wet material and likely he would not find that use while working and non-serrated would work fine.

Let us all know what your final decision is when you make it. I'm quite interested.

Best of luck,
Shawn

------------------
"The difference between being a Coward
and a Hero is not whether you're scared,
it's what you do while you're scared."
Unknown

Welcome to the forums Judy!

With regards to the serrated "combo" edges also referred to as 50/50 versus a "plain" edge with no serrations, I would recommend no serrations, especially for gentleman's knife.

Serrations are great on rope and similar material. If you're wearing a suit cutting rope with gentleman's pocketknife, we need to talk
wink.gif

If you sharpen your knife with a "medium" stone all along the edge and then polish the front of the part of the knife with a "fine" stone, you will still get the agressive cutting of serrations but, you will still have that nice long straight edge for straight cuts in bagel, boxes, mail, sandwiches, etc. Adding serrations to a smaller knife is a mistake in my humble opinion but, opinions vary. I should also note that all my first knives were combo edges. Now, I only carry plain edges.

EDI (Edge Design Inc.) make a very good knife that you won't see very often but, has a very smooth action, slim profile and, the best pocket clip around for the suit and tie crowd. These can be a little hard to find and may be a little too tactical looking

It is hard to go wrong with a Spyderco model. Spyderco's are very good knives that give you a lot of "bang for the buck". There are several in the under $100 price class that should fit your needs well. You might want to look at the Spyderco web-site and the price shop at the popular online stores.

Stay Sharp,
Sid

For a tasteful, non threatening folder that would be suitable for office/ black tie and for normal chores, I' d take a good look at a micarta scale Spyderco Jess Horn. I believe AG Russell still has some with either black, burgundy or white micarta. Slim, simple and classy. The plain edge is easier to maintain and is fine for simple tasks such as using for envelopes, string, tape, packages, splinter removal, toothpick (careful!), food, etc. Less than $100 last I saw. Happy shopping and welcome to the forums!

L8r,
Nakano

[This message has been edited by Nakano 2 (edited 12-03-2000).]

Hello Judy,
Welcome to Bladeforums!!!!!!!!

It's nice to see that you care so much to not only give such a great knife to your husband, but are willing to research and to purchase the best possible for your available budget.

Personally, I couldn't think of a more romantic thing that a wife could do for her husband than to surprise him with a quality gentlemen's knife as a Xmas present.

He sounds like one lucky guy!!!!!
wink.gif

I am going to have to join Gene and recommend the William Henry line on knives www.williamhenryknives.com. When you go purchase, you can use Roger at www.knifeworks.com (per Gene's previous suggestion). There (of coarse) are lots of other dealers, but Roger seems to have a very good reputation here at BFC. Hell, he recently sent 13 of us brand new free knives for a giveaway that he held.

I'm sorry to say that I personally don't have any experinece with Willaim Henry knives, but I have a Spearpoint on my wishlist. I recently posted about this company and the responses to my post confirmed my suspisions. They are truly "custom quality" in a production piece with a production price tag. I'm sure your husband would be quite pleased to pull this knife out and show it off even in the most conservative of office environments.

If you think that he would like a slightly smaller pocket knife, the look at the Lancet models.

Whatever you choose, I would stay away from serrations. They are great for tearing things but are a pain to sharpen and they cheapen the look of a quality gents folder.

Let us know what you finally choose.

Good Luck!!!!!!!

--The Raptor--

Raptor,

just for clarification - he's not my husband (yet!). But we are "going steady." I am wearing his class ring around my neck, and he has my cheerleader megaphone charm that I wore when we were in high school together. I, of course, was his favorite cheerleader (still am....). Oh, we have only been going steady for about 6 months. We never dated in high school - we just lusted secretly for each other.

judy

Hello Judy,

I know how you feel. My wife went through this last year and ended up giving up -- she couldn't decide, and knew if she made a mistake I'd nevber tell her, and carry a knife I didn't like just to make her happy. We've been married 10 years and she knows how I "work" -- I'd never make her feel bad about something like this.

So this year she asked me, and here is what I picked: a handmade Cebter Cross knife made from an old circuit board. There are a few companies making production knives out of old circuit boards, but few custom makers. Center Cross makes some VERY good knives, perfect for the office. The circuit board as the handle is just plain neat. Here is the site for these types of folding knives:
http://www.centercross.com/Current/folders.htm

These are all hand made and are better than any production knife I've seen.

I'll send an e-mail about this to you. I hope I'm not too late. Maybe you can buy him one of these next year. It will be the best present he ever gets -- promise.

Scott D. Bieg
sbieg@aol.com

Judy,
Sorry about the assumption.
eek.gif

Us married people just always assume that everyone else is married too.

By the way, your story is great. I wonder how many other people secrectly "lust" over a lost love.
Oh well, all that I seem to lust over these days are expensive knives.
It's a sickness that I don't wish to be cured.
biggrin.gif

That's why I come here. All of these "knuts" understand.
smile.gif

--The Raptor--

Scott,

That circuit board handle knife sounds great! I haven't made any decision yet. I am printing out all of the posts and then checking out each suggested site/mfg/knife until I find "the knife."

I'll look for your email.

judy

Raptor,

not a problem with the assumption! Actually, I wear my grandmother's wedding band all of the time so that people will "assume" I am married (and because my grandma was a real strong pioneer-type woman and the ring reminds me of her and gives me strength). I have been divorced for 26 years (I was a child bride!) and it's amazing what people "assume" when they find out or think you are not married. So I found it's convenient to wear a wedding band, especially when traveling. I am just married to myself for the present and not lonely at all.

But having been reunited...... sigh. The song we will dance to at our wedding is "At Last." Very fittin, eh?

But this is pretty much off the knife topic. Sorry, guys. It's just that he is so wonderful and we are so in love and talk abou t what could have been 32 years ago and what we now have forever. It's terribly romantic.

Hence the search for the perfect practical romantic forget-me-knot knife!

romantically,
judy

Judy
Here are my suggestions. First would be a Chris Reeve Small Sebenza or an Umfaan. The price is more than what you were talking about but the knife would last FOREVER.
You could also go with a Spyderco Worker . It is small and very tough. Also it looks good with a suit or jeans. It alos fits in the boardroom or on the ranch.
Also you could buy the Worker first and then get the Chris Reeve as a wedding present on your honeymoon.

But that is just my opinion

Judster, may I call you Irene? I hate to disagree with my fellow posters--now there's a shock--but I have gone searching for the perfect folding knife, and I found it in a Microtech LCC. Now, it's usually 130 bucks, a tad higher than you've outlined, but it's made from 154-CM steel, and more titanium than most knives named here. Carbon fiber grips, very tasteful. (It's the top knife on this forum's title page.) It's not 'wicked' looking, but very business-like. I've heard through Josh at PVK&T that Allen Elishewitz, a custom knife maker, opined that this same knife should go for over 3 bills. True or rumor, it is a solid knife. If you prove me wrong, I'll start taking my thorazine again...--OKG

Welcome to Bladeforums! Someone mentioned the Spyderco Viele earlier, I have to say that it is one nice-looking blade. An acquaintance of mine who is familiar with my addiction showed me his Viele at a party, I thought it was very classy.

If you'd rather get a metal-handled knife suitable for engraving, the Spyderco Calypso Jr. is a very nice knife, solid, elegant, and ergonomic, and not out-of-place with suits at all. The other models with the lightweight or micarta handles are also pretty.

Off topic, but in relation to something else you said: I usually wear clothing with pockets, but if I'm wearing a dress w/o pockets I'll usually clip a knife to the front of it. If I'm wearing a skirt or trousers without pockets I'll clip the knife to the waistband. A neck knife could be the way to go with dresses though, if you don't want to draw attention to it by clipping it...
smile.gif

Judy,
If things go south with your man,log back on to bladeforums,it looks like there are plenty of guys that would love to show you there knife collection ROEN
wink.gif

Congratulations Judy!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't seen this many responses (so quickly) to a post for quite some time now.

Either everyone is logged on tonight, or your story has really touched people.
I think that I'll go with the latter.
smile.gif

There's just something special about a women who desires to put a smile on her man.
wink.gif

Talk to you later,

--The Raptor--

I would suggest a CRKT m16 in carbon fiber

Or if thats not gentlemanly enough a CRKT Mirage Titanium

I would also second the other guys who said a Spyderco Howard Viele The plain edged version would probably go better and be more useful in an office enviroment.

I know alot more about being a redneck than a gentleman though, so I may not be much help
smile.gif

------------------
I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer... but I've got the sharpest knife in the room.

Any of the small stainless Spydercos can be engraved. They can also serve as a money clip. Hope this helps.

Paul

------------------

Trust no one...

Back