Buying my man a pocket knife. HELP!

Raptor: A girl logs on asking which knife she should buy for her man since she loves him so much AND tells us that she wears a neck knife around the house??? Geez, she's a guy knife nut's dream come true!!! No wonder so many are quick to post! We are living vicariously through Judy's guy!!
biggrin.gif

Anyways, I have an AFCK which I don't use too publically as it is kinda scarry. The next folder I bought was a Sentinel, much more "nice" looking but still kinda scary to show the sheeple. If I had a Benchmade 940 I would use that all the time and I wouldn't scare the sheeple! It just looks too elegant and too cool! I noticed in previous posts that people get a lot of work out of the knife and they say that they were surprised that it wasn't as big as they imagined (as compared with the approx. 4" folders we usually carry.)

Personally I am not a fan of knives like the A.G. Russel gents knife. I think that something from William/Henry or the 940 is better as they still are classy looking (and very curious looking in the case of the 940) byt you get more work out of them. Judy, if your guy is a knife user then get an elegant looking (dare I say it) "tactical" knife, something along the lines of a benchmade 940. Every time he pulls out the knfie and uses it, not only will he think, "geez this knife really cuts anything I put in front of it" he'll also be thinking of how special you are for choosing such a practical yet elegant piece of cutlery.

Oh, and don't believe the witty quip at the end of Tom Mayo's posts. HIS knives cost WAY more than .02 cents!! HAHA!!!

------------------
"Come What May..."

Hello totally Judy,

A nice small folder to match dress clothes enviornment? Take a look at the Benchmade Mel Pardue 330S-P. It is a small knife for the pocket with Mother of Pearl scales.

I see your from CA. A nice 2" blade CA legal Switchbalde would be a cool gift to. http://www.gtknives.com/ . Hope this helps.

------------------
http://www.s4supply.com/

[This message has been edited by Frank Castle (edited 12-03-2000).]

Hi Judy,

I think a true 'gentlemans knife shouldn't have a clip, makes it that much thinner, lighter, easier on the pocket.

Here is what I would suggest if you haven't decided already.
smile.gif

Great fit and finish (Seki, Japan), fantastic steel (VG-10), and a very useful blade (Wharncliffe). This knife also has circuit board inlays, I would rather have wood, but it's still a good looking knife.

Glad you found the forums! Good luck!

Steve-O

Crayola, you couldn't be more right. Judy, you're what every man here would absolutely love in a woman; someone who appreciates knives as much as we do and is intelligent and caring enough to want to get the best gift she can for a man she loves. You've definetely come to the right place for information too. I've had my eye on Phil's suggestion for myself, it's a very nice piece. I'm sure he'll love whatever you get him, and I wish you both the best of luck. You have a very, very lucky man, and I hope he appreciates it.

well golly gee whiz, guys...... if it turns out that my man doesn't appreciate me as much as he should.......then I'll just kick his butt down the road and he can use whichever really bitchen knife I get him all by his lonesome, and I will hang out here with the KnifeKnuts! You guys are just toooo nice. I like that in a man.

All of your suggestions are really helping. I at least am becoming more familiar with the names and styles of the knives you have been mentioning. It sure is alot better than I was doing yesterday when I spent the day doing searches for "pocket knives" "folding knives" "gentlemen's knives" etc. etc. etc and hadn't a clue what I was finding. Talk about being frustrated. And then I discovered BladeForums and the rest is history! or... Herstory!

My man will get his knife, alright. But I have a feeling that I will be getting ME more knives than he will ever get. And I know exactly where I can get good advice.

You are all terrific! I sincerely appreciate all of your input and advice. Now I just have to narrow my choices and then go eeney meeney miney mo! (kidding)

I am still open to suggestions! It's not over until it's over (this knife search).

judy

Yeah, this is so cool. All kinds of knife-loving people here.

[This message has been edited by Dragon1 (edited 12-04-2000).]

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I have gotten so many good suggestions for this special knife..... I have now had to create a database so that I can enter all of the suggestions and be able to sort by maker, etc. Otherwise I will be jumping back and forth from site to site looking at knives!

This has gone from being a "oh my goodness, what am I getting myself into?" to being a "Wow, this is really fun and informative and what a nice bunch of KnifeKnuts to help me out."

I don't think I have ever had this much fun researching something on the internet or with such genuinely helpful and nice folks.

judy

Judy -

A few more that you may want to look at are the Bucklock series in BG-42 steel, you can find them at www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/buck/ look at the bucklock series with BG-42. You can probably find this knife at a number of online dealers. Also the Moki Glory is a very nice knife, I only know of one current online dealer, www.laganet.com/Moki-Main-Page.html The Moki Glory has very nice fit and finish and is a really good candidate as a gentleman's knife. The Bucklock has really good blade steel, and is larger (3" blade).

John

------------------
Die Entropie der Welt strebt einem Maximum zu - R.J.E. Clausius

Judy

Forgot to ask in my post, does he prefer natural or synthetic materials? I noticed that the majority of the responses were for knives with synthetic handle matierial, with only a few with natural materials, one with pearl and the two I mentioned with wood. That could be another factor to consider.

John

------------------
Die Entropie der Welt strebt einem Maximum zu - R.J.E. Clausius

Wood Sebenza 2000

<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=956734&a=10036185&p=34697291&Sequence=0&res=high" TARGET=_blank>
Thumbnail
</A>

Elishewitz Abalone Persian Mosaic Damascus

<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=956734&a=10036185&p=34698015&Sequence=0&res=high" TARGET=_blank>
Thumbnail
</A>

Elishewitz Oracle Mammoth Ivory and Damascus

<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=956734&a=10036185&p=34698017&Sequence=0&res=high" TARGET=_blank>
Thumbnail
</A>

Elishewitz Prodigy Damascus

<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=956734&a=10036185&p=34698018&Sequence=0&res=high" TARGET=_blank>
Thumbnail
</A>

John,

He's a natural type of guy..... but is probably open to synthetics. outside of work wears levi's and white t-shirts almost all of the time unless he has to do the casual dress up. (heavy sigh - levi's and a white t-shirt....one of the sexiest looks for a man as far as I am concerned.)

But, since the knife will be from me - he darn well better think it's the best thing since ..... well.... just the best thing.

judy

Judy, welcome to the forums.
You are showing early symptoms of infection. Red, puffy eyes from staring at knife images, and an empty wallet from succumbing to the overwhelming urge to attempt to buy one each of every available model will soon follow. Sorry, there is no known cure.
There are some great people here, aren't there?

My suggestion: The Benchmade 940. Big enough to provide a good grip, and perform most tasks-small enough to be non-threatening and easy to carry. Solid as a rock, but still very pretty, even elegant, IMO (did I just say that?). Great knife, all-around. Mine is very faithful, makes it to church almost every Sunday
smile.gif

Off to buy some more white t-shirts...

Judy, just to lay down some ground rules here on the Forums. Don't be concerned if you tell folks that your budget is $100 and they start suggesting knives that cost $200 or more, it's not that they haven't read your cirteria, all they are telling you is that if you pick the more expensive knife they suggested they will gladly make up the diference for you. Pretty darn nice of them huh?
wink.gif

PS: I can't find that thread about my Parrots in Community.

I would suggest a Case or Boker stag or bone handled folder. Hen & Rooster are also real nice. These knives are available readily from most online dealers.

Thanks for the good info, Phil! I just KNEW that I liked everyone here for some reason. Now I can really look seriously at some of the nicer knives I liked.

Oh, and yes,I have a sister..... married in Illinois and I think if she had a knife she'd use it on you......well, I know she'd use it on ME! tee hee hee....

decisions, decisions, decisions...... and to think that the color of lipstick used to be a difficult decision.

judy

judy

Well, if your sister is married, do you have a female friend in Kalamazoo, Michigan? My friend, a hunting and shooting enthusiast, moved there a few months ago, and just doesn't go for the 'girlie types.' He's a Microtech collector, and he needs a companion that doesn't blanche every time he pays +300 bucks for a knife. His turn-offs are non-canceling turn signals and Liberal Democrats, and his turn-ons are polka music and free food. Why is this knut still single?--OKG

Hi Judy,
My sugestion would be a small Chris Reeve Sebenza. A real gentlemans lockblade. They may be too many $$$$ and real plane Janes, but there are few on this forum who, if they don't already have one, wouldn't give their back teeth for one.

The real trick is that they are a man's mans knife. Completely understated. Even if your man knows little about knives, every time he has it out in public one of his mates will tell him what a serious knife it is. When he tells them who gave it to him, his mates will tell him what a lucky man he is! They would mean it because he would be.

They go as well with a white T shirt and jeans as with a DJ.

An alternative sugestion would be a fancy engraved penknife. Small and light enough to carry always. These are "Gentleman" knives. Others on this forum will have to tell you who makes the best.

Best of luck.

Back