Call for Charpy toughness samples

I also bought a large amount of A2 and CTS-XHP for testing (and making knives!). I will be watching your A2 results closely.

Looks good, A2 will not be thick enough to grind however. The 10V is close, that only leaves .009 per side. With slight warping, cutting it close.

Hoss

I’ll order another stick when I do my next order.

Final thickness is 0.984” (2.5mm), correct? What is the preferred starting thickness? 0.110”, 0.120”? The a11 is the same thickness as the z-wear and cru-wear I did before.

I’ll order another stick when I do my next order.

Final thickness is 0.984” (2.5mm), correct? What is the preferred starting thickness? 0.110”, 0.120”? The a11 is the same thickness as the z-wear and cru-wear I did before.

.120 is best

Hoss

.120 is best

Hoss

I’ll keep that in mind going forward. Most of the simple carbon steels have been 0.125”, and I’ve been putting any that need thermal cycling in foil for the cycles to minimize decarb. The L6 and 1095 were 3/16”, a bit thicker. O1, 15n20, 80crv2, W2, and 1084 are 0.125”. Not all of them are done yet, just listing what I have. I might sacrifice a single sample of Hitachi blue, as I have just a little bit left. I’m out of Hitachi white if anyone wants to donate a piece.

I also bought a large amount of A2 and CTS-XHP for testing (and making knives!). I will be watching your A2 results closely.

My a2 is too thin. I can do it at a later date, or you can do it at this time. We’ve been aiming for a range between Rc58 and Rc64. (Rc58, 60, 62, 64.) If you have enough, one transverse sample for comparison too.

My a2 is too thin. I can do it at a later date, or you can do it at this time. We’ve been aiming for a range between Rc58 and Rc64. (Rc58, 60, 62, 64.) If you have enough, one transverse sample for comparison too.

I am willing to do the A2, I have plenty of .125 stock. I really want to test prequench results on A2 as well, so I will get with Larrin Larrin to devise a set of test parameters that should check most of the boxes.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

I’ve got my last batch almost finished. Work has been crazy, and I want to get Hugo’s samples done in this batch. I’ll probably get the ultra fort done today, and the nz3 done tomorrow afternoon. I’ll post the samples done in a new thread I’m starting to keep track of what has been done, and what is in progress. These should go out to JT on Friday. (Monday at the latest.) Lots of little pieces to keep track of.

So Warren, where did you get 3/16 L6 flat stock?

So Warren, where did you get 3/16 L6 flat stock?

I got it from Aldo about four years ago. I was going to make O1/L6 damascus, but got sidetracked and made a few hunters out of the L6. Ive got enough for four conditions for test samples left, and maybe 4” of steel from the bar left over after making the samples.

Ok, I’m sending these steels for grinding:

Aeb-l tempered in two conditions, m390 in two conditions at Rc60 and Rc58, four steels provided by hugofeynman, V4e, A8mod, NZ3, and Ultrafort, (I’ve got more V4e and 4v now from Chuck to test multiple conditions.) There’s W2 at five hardnesses. I did a cast cru-wear to test if toughness is improved with a pre-quench at 1725f. I did 15n20 at three hardnesses as well. (I did four, but one sample was undersized.) This is new stock, not reclaimed steel, using my optimized heat treat for 15n20, so we’ll see if it’ll fare better than the lousy results from the initial sample. This supply heat treats best at 1460f, like W2.

I wanted to get more done, but work has been crazy this past 6 weeks. I’m going to do vanax and V4e this weekend, as I’m heat treating two blades in those steels anyway. I’ve got a lot upcoming (see the steel supplied by chuck posted earlier.) The first donations from Chuck, and the donations from Hugo are done now. I’ve got 80crv2, O1, L6, and 1095 from my own supply coming up too.

I’ll pack everything up well tonight, and it’ll go off in the mail tomorrow to JT.

Edit. Package sent to JT.
Warren

Last edited:
Does anyone have a recommended heat treat for vanax? The recommended heat treat is 1975f, quench, and temper at 390f. This results in Rc59. I’ll do this tonight. If there is a protocol for Rc60, or Rc62, I’ll do that as well.

Does anyone have a recommended heat treat for vanax? The recommended heat treat is 1975f, quench, and temper at 390f. This results in Rc59. I’ll do this tonight. If there is a protocol for Rc60, or Rc62, I’ll do that as well.
Uddeholm seems to really like 1975F for some reason. You can probably go higher, and/or temper lower.

V4e, longitudinal and cross grain, 4v, longitudinal and cross grain, and vanax, longitudinal and cross grain are in the oven now. 1250f x15 min, 1550f x15min, 1975f x30min, plate quench, cryo. I’m doing one vanax at 2000f too.

Back