Call for Charpy toughness samples

I’ll give you a call tomorrow. I’ll send you my address in the morning too. This is much appreciated.

I’m heat treating a bunch of coupons this weekend, so I’ll provide a list for everyone with what’s done and being sent to DevinT,
Please try also some high tempered 3v, so we can compare with the low temper ones.

Warren are you good with the surface grinding? My surface grinder has been lonely and need attention.

Hey what about Vanadis 8? Usa knife maker has it. Has anyone purchased it? Is it one that would show something interesting or is it just a data point. It sounded interesting but its pretty darn expensive.

Buy a chunk and send it my way. I’ll heat treat it if you give me the recommended heat treat.

Warren

2.5 x 10 x 55 mm unnotched samples with the 55 mm length along the rolling direction (unless comparing orientations)
Sides of samples must be parallel and dimensions must be ± 0.075 mm
Thickness must be ± 0.025 mm
Each side should be finished to at least 70 grit

The ends do not have to be finished. I converted the Ra to grit so I can get you Ra if you want it.

2.5 x 10 x 55 mm unnotched samples with the 55 mm length along the rolling direction (unless comparing orientations)
Sides of samples must be parallel and dimensions must be ± 0.075 mm
Thickness must be ± 0.025 mm
Each side should be finished to at least 70 grit

The ends do not have to be finished. I converted the Ra to grit so I can get you Ra if you want it.

Thanks that’s perfect. Grit is fine, I’m just use to Ra from the machining world.

Larrin Larrin do you have an updated list of what you have and what you need?
The list in the first post of this thread is still current, I believe. There are some steels that are in some state of progress but I am not crossing anything off until it's actually been tested

Last edited:
V4e and a second cru-wear sample are in cryo right now. Both at 1950f, cryo, and 400f temper. I am wondering if the cast cru-wear was a bad sample, as my real world blades don’t seem that much lower in toughness.
That’s exactly what I had been running with v4e. Hitting 62 every time! If I had time to get my shop wired for 220, I would try and send some samples! Hunting season kinda gets in the way!!!

The list in the first post of this thread is still current, I believe. There are some steels that are in some state of progress but I am not crossing anything off until it's actually been tested

The n690, M2, and 52100 are done, and awaiting grinding.

I have some D2 as well that I can whip up. Warren have you done D2 yet. I do a modified heat teat with a pre quench and cryo.

I have some D2 as well that I can whip up. Warren have you done D2 yet. I do a modified heat teat with a pre quench and cryo.

No, I’ve never done D2. Z-wear was my introduction to air hardening carbon steels, and I have to say I’m a convert.

We did one sample of D2. It had cryo but no prequench.

I got package one of two from Chuck Bybee at AKS. It feels like Christmas morning. (I bought 1/4 of the steel sent, and Chuck donated the rest- a very generous donation to say the least.) the value is not pocket change, so please remember that when ordering steel.

I’m about 1/2 way done my last batch to send for grinding. Hopefully by the weekend. Then I can start this batch.

Chuck sent enough steel for four conditions for each steel, plus additional samples to test transverse toughness with longitudinal toughness on a couple. You might have to zoom in to see what each is. The .166x11.6x1.90” is talonite.

66721E55-B03C-412A-8124-165C4E8B6A40 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

Still coming is z-tuff, a2, a11, and maybe something else. I’d have to look at the paperwork to see the full list.

Back