Camp Knife Build

OK, I lied. It's here and I'm pleased. First impressions, it's both larger and lighter than anticipated; it's gorgeous and sharp, and fits the hand well. The sheath is well made and tight enough to the knife that it could likely be worn inverted. The knife sits so deep in the sheath that a lanyard will be added to assist in the draw, and the handle is fairly slippery. This one will take some getting used to. A professional knife made by a professional knife maker, this Redmeadow Camp Knife is serious business. Thanks John! :cool:

Redmeadow Camp.jpg

I accidentally left out the hand-carved Cowbell, and my photography sucks, so this photo will be a temporary placeholder. More later. :thumbsup:

OK, I lied. It's here and I'm pleased. First impressions, it's both larger and lighter than anticipated; it's gorgeous and sharp, and fits the hand well. The sheath is well made and tight enough to the knife that it could likely be worn inverted. The knife sits so deep in the sheath that a lanyard will be added to assist in the draw, and the handle is fairly slippery. This one will take some getting used to. A professional knife made by a professional knife maker, this Redmeadow Camp Knife is serious business. Thanks John! :cool:

View attachment 1457677

I accidentally left out the hand-carved Cowbell, and my photography sucks, so this photo will be a temporary placeholder. More later. :thumbsup:
Hopefully it's just the layer of Ren Wax that's giving it that slip Shel. I usually give it a coat and a light buff for that new car smell lol. I didn't have any issues swinging it on rope but let me know if it causes issues and we'll take care of it:thumbsup:

I got a box today too...

Yea for box day! :D

My hands are super dry, John. They almost never split or crack, probably because I wear gloves when working outside, and I’ve been working outside daily for at least a month; almost everything I touch feels slippery or smooth. I’ll let you know if it needs to be addressed. In the meantime, a lanyard is in order.:thumbsup:

My handle is damn smooth, but I wouldn't call it slick per se. It actually seems to stick to my hand pretty well. But I have had to use a little bit of lotion earlier this week, my hands were really dry after hunting last weekend.

My first impressions; light and fast! :thumbsup: The narrow point at the forward section of the grip really locks it into your hand, is a great index point, and makes it easy to choke grip the knife right there with your thumb and index finger.

Balance point is right at the end of the grip. And I do mean right at the end, I actually can't balance this on anything because the balance point is somewhere in the rounded-off part of the grip where it terminates. Tapered tangs are a real thing of beauty! :D I love the drop point, and how the handle and blade make a nice curve. The belly of the knife sits lower than the handle, which will work well for food prep.

It's actually a touch smaller than I had pictured in my head. Love the grind, and it's nice and thin behind the edge! :cool: 0.020"-0.025" behind the edge, 0.180" at the spine, full flat grind. I measure OAL at 12 5/16", blade is 7" long with 6 3/4" of sharpened edge. The handle has a nice swell to it, the narrowest part is right at the front tube rivet, and it's 0.8" wide there. The thickest part is at the center tube rivet, and it's ~1.025" wide there. The very end of the handle measures 1.040", and gives a nice "hook" to lock the knife into your hand and keep it from slipping forward. Would also work well if choking back to the rear part of the handle for chopping.

Sheath fits the knife perfectly, and is a very pleasant medium brown color. Looks almost good enough to eat! :eek: ;)

This is an extremely well-made, no-nonsense design, and compliments the little Cowbell quite nicely. Simple and elegant. Well done John! :thumbsup: I love your work! :D

Here are some bad pictures of a sweet knife! I'll get some better photos outside later this week.

IMG_6234.jpg

IMG_6235.jpg

IMG_6237.jpg

IMG_6244.jpg

IMG_6245.jpg

IMG_6247.jpg

And a bonus, a few pictures with my matching Cowbell in the same Starry Night G-carta! :D :cool: You can see where these came from in the same block. I am SO happy with this pair!!! :thumbsup:

IMG_6238.jpg

IMG_6239.jpg

IMG_6240.jpg

IMG_6241.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool looking knives! Synthetic handle materials haven't really done much for me but after looking at these a few times I may have to reconsider. I have looked at some of GL Hansen's micarta and it appears to be very high quality, I've seen some patterns I think I may be able to work with. I think I'm going to back and take another look.lol

Wow those are some nice looking knives guys, kudos to John. Nice cowbell comparison SpyderPhreak SpyderPhreak and what a difference with your pics in and outside, sweet looking covers. If I missed reading, sorry but what are the covers called, I feel like I’m back in the late 60s :D

Nice shots Jared!

Thanks John! It's an awesome knife! :cool:

Wow those are some nice looking knives guys, kudos to John. Nice cowbell comparison SpyderPhreak SpyderPhreak and what a difference with your pics in and outside, sweet looking covers. If I missed reading, sorry but what are the covers called, I feel like I’m back in the late 60s :D

Covers/scales, whatever. They're made of a micarta, dubbed "Starry Night" G-carta, by the maker, G.L. Hansen.

Back